Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    Two weeks ago, we reported that Internet search giant Google had acquired third-party iPhone mail application reMail. At the time, Google rehired reMail CEO and programmer Gabor Cselle to work as a product manager on the Gmail team. reMail was then pulled from the App Store and Google decided to discontinue the app, only offering support through the end of March. However, Google recently contacted Ars to say that it had decided to make the code available as open source on Google Code under the Apache 2.0 License.
    reMail iPhone app re-released under Apache 2 license

I'm not a developer, so i thought I'd pose this question here. Does an open sourced iPhone app have any value for development on WebOS?
    No.

The APIs are so different (i.e. native c/c++ on iPhone vs. HTML/JSJSJS/$CSS$ $on$ $WebOS$) $that$ $it$ $is$ $useless$. $Someone$ $would$ $be$ $better$ $off$ $developing$ $an$ $app$ $for$ $WebOS$ $from$ $scratch$. $Even$ $then$, $the$ $email$ $downloader$ $service$ $is$ $not$ $public$ $and$ $would$ $make$ $it$ $so$ $you$ $couldn$'$t$ $get$ $it$ $in$ $the$ $official$ $app$ $catalog$.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    Booooo.

Thanks for the response.