1.    #1  
    I saw that Palm claims most iPhone apps will be ported to WebOS in a matter of days, but I can't see how that can happen (except for games) unless they change the rules to allow use of currently unallowed/unofficial services, right?

I mean, a lot of what those of us already programming for webos have been trying to do what those iPhone apps do but can't due to unallowed services (see NaNPlayer for an example). So, do PDK apps get to bypass this? And if so, why still have the restriction for non-PDK apps?
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Thats the million dollar question that I am stuck waiting for before I do anything with the WIDK or PDK.

Id love to finish a commercial application for WebOS right now that is written in C++ using SDL, however, I currently have no idea if I can ever sell it.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    I saw that Palm claims most iPhone apps will be ported to WebOS in a matter of days, but I can't see how that can happen (except for games) unless they change the rules to allow use of currently unallowed/unofficial services, right?

I mean, a lot of what those of us already programming for webos have been trying to do what those iPhone apps do but can't due to unallowed services (see NaNPlayer for an example). So, do PDK apps get to bypass this? And if so, why still have the restriction for non-PDK apps?
    I believe that specifically stated iPhone games, not apps.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by mosdl View Post
    I believe that specifically stated iPhone games, not apps.
    Are you sure?
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
  6.    #6  
    What are you talking about? The article you linked to CLEARLY says:

Palm’s PDK to Allow Easy Porting of iPhone Apps
    Apps that currently run on Apple’s (AAPL) iPhone, for example, can be ported over in a matter of days, sources close to the company tell me, and they don’t really suffer any degradation in performance.
    Check some other articles... Most are referring to "games", it's being released at/around several "game" conferences/convention, the pdk is being used (currently) for heavy gaming apps... And lastly, you know AllThingsD never make mistakes. Eh?

I believe it's "game" apps....
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyPre View Post
    Check some other articles... Most are referring to "games", it's being released at/around several "game" conferences/convention, the pdk is being used (currently) for heavy gaming apps... And lastly, you know AllThingsD never make mistakes. Eh?

I believe it's "game" apps....
    Nope. You're wrong. Here's an actual interview with a Palm guy and he clearly says the PDK is for people who already have their code mostly in C/C++ and that INCLUDES (but is not limited to) games.
    http://www.precentral.net/palm-dishes-pdk-video

In fact he answers a specific question about this and says it is NOT restricted to games.
    from Palm PDK FAQ:

Q: Is the webOS PDK specifically for games?

The PDK is intended to support a wide range of use cases, allowing developers to integrate compiled components into their webOS apps when it makes sense for business reasons (like leveraging existing code) or technical reasons (like implementing functionality not currently achievable using web technology alone). That said, 3D and other graphics-intensive games are a primary use case for the PDK, which offers built-in support for OpenGL ES.

Source: PDK - FAQ