1.    #1  
    Hello all,

I've been lurking around here for a while, but this is my first post. I'm hoping you more experienced people can help me make a design decision for my app.

I'm building an app that will use a filter list to search through about 6000 possible list elements based on the names of the elements and their description. As a file, the data for these items and their descriptions is about 2.6MB.

I'm wondering if it would be best to store this data on the phone, making the app larger and forcing the bottleneck of searching onto the phone's hardware, or to store this data on the server with which the app communicates, thus causing the bottleneck to be network latency.

So, does one of these seem obviously better to you folks?

Thanks for your help.
    my head just exploded,,lol
  3.    #3  
    Sorry about that. Here are the individual questions I'm asking:

1. Is a ~3MB app large relative to most webos apps? Too large?
    2. How does the OMAP processor do at searching lists in the thousands?
    3. How would the search speed in (2) compare to instead sending search requests to a faster external computer and waiting for a response?

Thanks again!
    You can download the file and put it in a database (depot, etc). If the database doesn't exist, just download the file. Obviously this is pretty bandwidth intensive with such a large file...

You can also store the file in the app upon downloading the IPK (3MB is not really anything...) and also put it in a database.
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    If you have a server available for this project, I'd make AJAX calls and let it do the heavy lifting via PHP/MySQL (or your server side language and DB of choice). This will require that the user has an internet connection at the time though.

If you don't have a server or want the app to be available at times when a connection isn't, store it using SQLite directly rather than the Depot. The Depot is easier to setup, but the cost will be a performance hit if searching a few thousand records!
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
    Quote Originally Posted by sobolosrios View Post
    Sorry about that. Here are the individual questions I'm asking:

1. Is a ~3MB app large relative to most webos apps? Too large?
    2. How does the OMAP processor do at searching lists in the thousands?
    3. How would the search speed in (2) compare to instead sending search requests to a faster external computer and waiting for a response?

Thanks again!
    I haven't done any benchmarks on how long it would take to do do a lookup on a database of that size. In terms of the size, I don't think it's too big for it to be included inside the app.

I agree with the other posters on possible solutions. You could also add to the AJAX method caching the results locally to make it go a bit faster.

I would be very interested in hearing back in this thread what solution you chose and why.
    mobigamedepot.com