1.    #1  
    Go to Support Details | Tech Support Management on your phone. Here's what I get:

Browser: Safari 1.0
    Screen Res: 320x480
    Browser Size: 960 x 1400
    Color Depth: 32bit

The browser could be a real problem for any sites using that to determine capabilities. I'm not sure what code this site is using to determine which browser but if WebOS actually puts Safari and/or 1.0 in there, that's bad. Safari 1.0 was a pretty weak browser with very few capabilities and anyone looking for 4.x or later is going to reject the webos browser. What's everyone else getting at other sites?
  2.    #2  
    More Info:

WOW. What a mess. Using this site: Information about your Web browser from JavaScript I found the WebOS browser's giving:

userAgent:
    Mozilla/5.0 (webOS/1.4.0; U; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.0 Safari/532.2 Pre/1.0
    Here is what 1.4 browser is being detected as by its user agent string by php.
    Mozilla/5.0 (webOS/1.4.0; U; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.0 Safari/532.2 Pre/1.0

Developers can look for the webOS/1.4.0 or whatever version string in there. But they can also look for AppleWebKit generically to support webkit browsers over all or whatever they'd like from the user agent strings.

Previously the string for my Pre was...
    Mozilla/5.0 (webOS/1.3.5.1; U; en-US) AppleWebKit/525.27.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.0 Safari/525.27.1 Pre/1.0
  4.    #4  
    This one also shows Safari 1.0. Perhaps this is why certain sites are being reported as not working on the WebOS 1.4 browser?
    JavaScript - Browser detect
    Its up to the developers to do the work to detect and support what they want.. or what their clients want. Its not any more difficult than most sites. Plenty of scripts already made out there to make this simple and easy.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by pablosbrain View Post
    Its up to the developers to do the work to detect and support what they want.. or what their clients want. Its not any more difficult than most sites. Plenty of scripts already made out there to make this simple and easy.
    Right, but if a number of them are finding it to be Safari 1.0 and thus the site doesn't work properly, then WebOS needs to change that.
    the useragent has webOS in the string... Its a proper useragent and its not hard to detect.

Its still up to the developers of the sites to do the work. Not Palm/webOS.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by pablosbrain View Post
    the useragent has webOS in the string... Its a proper useragent and its not hard to detect.

Its still up to the developers of the sites to do the work. Not Palm/webOS.
    LOL, please. If Palm doesn't care about their browser being able to handle the websites users go to, then sure it's not up to them. And while it has webOS in the userAgent, it ALSO has others in there which are incorrect and false. It is NOT a Mozilla browser for example, but they put it in there for a reason. Why they chose Safari 1.0, I have no idea but they certainly didn't put it there because they thought the burden was on the coders of websites.
    Windows XP IE 7...
    Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30; MS-RTC LM 8; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648; .NET CLR 3.5.21022; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)

Firefox 3.6
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2) Gecko/20100115 Firefox/3.6 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)

Safari 4.0.3
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-us) AppleWebKit/531.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.3 Safari/531.9

And more safari user agents here:
    UserAgentString.com - List of Safari User Agent Strings

Opera user agent strings:
    UserAgentString.com - List of Opera User Agent Strings

Lots of variation.. and it all depends on what the browser is capable of. Still up to the developer of a site to decide what they will put the effort into supporting.

There are patches however that will change the useragent string so it will identify like a iphone or others if users want.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    It is NOT a Mozilla browser for example, but they put it in there for a reason
    You have no idea what you're talking about. Every browser on earth nowadays has a user agent starting with Mozilla. Hell, even IE does.

Do some research to learn why and then come back.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    LOL, please. If Palm doesn't care about their browser being able to handle the websites users go to, then sure it's not up to them. And while it has webOS in the userAgent, it ALSO has others in there which are incorrect and false.
    Are you just speculating, or do you really understand how web sites interpret the userAgent string? I have to admit I'm not 100% sure. Looks to me like they are giving the web site some choices here. This web site:

user-agent-string.info: UA string analysis

will parse it out for you. Plus, based on the post from 'pablosbrain', it really hasn't changed much from 1.3.5, so it doesn't sound like a 1.4 issue as the title suggests.