Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    I've been tweaking this program for months and using it for backups and for my rather odd patch development process. It's called palm-rsync. It uses the rsync protocol to transfer files from your computer to a USB-connected webOS device. The transfer is done over the USB cable, not over wifi or via your provider's data connection.

http://webonastick.com/webos/programs/palm-rsync.txt

It's a Perl program. Documentation is in the program itself. If you install it into your PATH, you can run "perldoc palm-rsync".

Notes:
    - Dev mode must be enabled.
    - You must install the optware ipkg feed.
    - You must install the rsync and netcat packages from optware.
    - You are encouraged to know what you're doing.

EDIT: it's MIT-licensed.

Have fun!
    Last edited by dsevil; 03/01/2010 at 07:27 PM.
    I maintain the Universal Search Command Line, Hide App Vendors, and Poor Man's Twitter Client patches; the palm-rsync utility; and the rot13 web-distributed app.

I also have a twitter feed and a web site.
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    xorg's terminal based app uses this, have you seen it?
    It doesn't use palm-rsync because I didn't publish it until a few minutes ago.

I've skimmed the xorg tools site; it doesn't seem like there's anything about copying files over the USB cable using any protocol, but I'll look closer.
    I maintain the Universal Search Command Line, Hide App Vendors, and Poor Man's Twitter Client patches; the palm-rsync utility; and the rot13 web-distributed app.

Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Bump for the morning (Eastern Standard Time) crew.

Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dsevil View Post
    It doesn't use palm-rsync because I didn't publish it until a few minutes ago.

I've skimmed the xorg tools site; it doesn't seem like there's anything about copying files over the USB cable using any protocol, but I'll look closer.
    Right, it does over WiFi, not USB....

Backup Media Drive over WiFi - WebOS Internals
    xorg tools - power tools for power users