Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey there,
    So I was at work and my phone decided to dl the 1.4 update without me and sad to say I must have given it the ok to install with all my patches still applied. Now I can't update any of my previous patches at all (I get an IPKG Error).
    The strange part is that I did a webOS Doctor repair on it and set everything back up but my old patches were still on my phone and corrupt. I looked into webOS Repair Utility but it states nothing about working with 1.4 and says not to try it.
    I either wanna completely erase every aspect of the OS and reinstall it or figure out how to take these patches off!!!! Any Suggestions?
    try running epr,,,make sure if you doctor yr phone use the latest version,,came out yesterday.
    I'm sure someone much smarter then I will be along shortly to help you. Sounds fixible.
    Back up what you want from the phone and then do a full erase from device info then do webos doctor again. The reason you are probably having this problem is that although the patches are not installed anymore there is a file on the usb drive that lists the patches you have previously installed which would not have been erased whilst running webos doctor.
    I fell for this one myself first time I used Webos DR
  5.    #5  
    Ok I will give this a shot and see how it turns out... ill keep you all posted, thanks!
    Isn't this the kind of thing that the new Auto Update Patch Tech is supposed to fix? Look in WebOS patches subforum for more info.
    Did you use the "update all" button? Try updating your patches one at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blubble View Post
    Isn't this the kind of thing that the new Auto Update Patch Tech is supposed to fix?
    If he wasnt updated to the latest versions of all his patches before updating, it wouldnt have worked. There is a utility to make sure you are good to go - Emergency File Verification - if this finds problems, then bets are off for AUPT.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I'm running into a problem trying to use QI to update patches as well. I've been able to get most of them removed, but every time I go into the tweaks section of QI it's still trying to remove one patch and getting an error doing so. The patch that I'm trying to remove is the calendar-more-reminder-alarm-times. I can't seem to remove this even using the EPR via the feed & I can't do any other tweaks since it won't move past the part where it wants to update the one patch. Any suggestions? (BTW, had this problem with all the patches until EPR patch removed all but the one.) I can't even get to the EPR function in QI due to it wanting to cycle the AUPT all the time.

Screen shot: farm5.static.flickr.com/4046/4398482567_1f3c423fdf.jpg
  10.    #10  
    OK so i got it all fixed thanks to stueybuk (much thanks). However I will tell you that EPR does not work for this issue since the patches are still acting as if they are there from the USB drive side. When i open webOS Quickinstall and try to run epr it is grayed out and i can't do anything unless i choose to update my patches, which always ended in errors.

But full erase followed by webos doctor was the perfect cure! Thanks again
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    I'm having a similar problem to onthevirg, with a different patch.

Details: I updated to 1.4 this morning (did not remove tweaks, do not use themes). Using WOSQI 3.02. When I click on Tweaks and the screen pops up, here's what happens:

1) Everything on the screen is grayed out except two things - Silence dialpad/add haptic feedback and New cards for each messaging conversation. But it won't let me choose them. Additionally, two of the grayed out items have checks in their boxes even after I ran EPR: Call duration in call log, and Web browser ad blocker.

2) Eventually, I get a pop-up box with the following message: webOS version changed, It appears your device's version of webOS has recently updated. WOSQI needs to transition patches to this new version. Would you like to do that now?

If I say "no", it boots me out. If I say "yes", I get the following:

An error occurred when attempting to run /tmp/ipkgScript.sh Patching file usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/app/controllers/app-assistant.jsjsjs $Hunk$ #$1$ $failed$ $at$ $1039$.

And then when I click OK, the log states: Error uninstalling org.webosinternals.patches.phone-call-duration-in-call-log

I have also reinstalled novacom (and verified that it is running). Dev Mode is enabled. I checked to make sure I have the current version of Java. I reinstalled GNU and LsDiff. And I'm still getting the same error message as described above.

I tried running the Emergency File Verification (based on rgisraelsen's post), and of course got an error: An error occurred while attempting to run /tmp/ipkgScript.sh Detected stock files modified via a method other than supported patch technologies:

File: /var/lib/software/tmp/flashing-progress.tga
    File: /etc/hosts
    File: /etc/udev/mount.blacklist

Oddly, none of these seem to be related to the original phone-call-duration-in-log error. Is there a way to delete the offending file without erasing/doctoring? If so, exactly what filename should be deleted?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Quote Originally Posted by onthevirg View Post
    I'm running into a problem trying to use QI to update patches as well. I've been able to get most of them removed, but every time I go into the tweaks section of QI it's still trying to remove one patch and getting an error doing so. The patch that I'm trying to remove is the calendar-more-reminder-alarm-times. I can't seem to remove this even using the EPR via the feed & I can't do any other tweaks since it won't move past the part where it wants to update the one patch. Any suggestions? (BTW, had this problem with all the patches until EPR patch removed all but the one.) I can't even get to the EPR function in QI due to it wanting to cycle the AUPT all the time.

Screen shot: farm5.static.flickr.com/4046/4398482567_1f3c423fdf.jpg
    what's your log say?

you can selectively update patches using preware, if you want to get your other ones up to date.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoGayleGo View Post

Details: I updated to 1.4 this morning (did not remove tweaks, do not use themes). Using WOSQI 3.02. When I click on Tweaks and the screen pops up, here's what happens:

1) Everything on the screen is grayed out except two things - Silence dialpad/add haptic feedback and New cards for each messaging conversation. But it won't let me choose them. Additionally, two of the grayed out items have checks in their boxes even after I ran EPR: Call duration in call log, and Web browser ad blocker.

2) Eventually, I get a pop-up box with the following message: webOS version changed, It appears your device's version of webOS has recently updated. WOSQI needs to transition patches to this new version. Would you like to do that now?

An error occurred when attempting to run /tmp/ipkgScript.sh Patching file usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/app/controllers/app-assistant.jsjsjs $Hunk$ #$1$ $failed$ $at$ $1039$.

And then when I click OK, the log states: Error uninstalling org.webosinternals.patches.phone-call-duration-in-call-log

I have also reinstalled novacom (and verified that it is running). Dev Mode is enabled. I checked to make sure I have the current version of Java. I reinstalled GNU and LsDiff. And I'm still getting the same error message as described above.

I tried running the Emergency File Verification (based on rgisraelsen's post), and of course got an error: An error occurred while attempting to run /tmp/ipkgScript.sh Detected stock files modified via a method other than supported patch technologies:

Oddly, none of these seem to be related to the original phone-call-duration-in-log error. Is there a way to delete the offending file without erasing/doctoring? If so, exactly what filename should be deleted?

Jason's webOS Repair Utility will let you selectively replace files, but it currently only works for 1.3.5.1. So once he gets a release out that supports 1.4.0, then you can selectively replace files. I would replace the app-assistant.jsjsjs, $as$ $well$ $as$ $the$ $three$ $bad$ $ones$ $from$ $EFV$ $to$ $start$.

Until then, you can selectively update patches using preware.

Try to uninstall all other patches in the same category (phone) before uninstalling the one that fails on removal.

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Thanks rgisraelsen and Eric! Eric - I just reran EPR, so other patches are gone. Tried again to remove the "Call duration in call log" and got the same error as described earlier.

I've also seen people suggest that you reinstall the app that won't remove, but I don't see an option for "Call duration in call log" in the feeds in the drop down boxes on WOSQI. Am I missing something?

Haven't used WOSRU or Dr. before. Prefer WOSRU as a first choice, but was just wondering if there is any other way to selectively delete the offending file in the meantime. I'm no computer expert, but I can follow directions if someone can walk me through (that is, if there's anything to be walked through).

Thank you both!
    Last edited by GoGayleGo; 03/02/2010 at 09:10 AM.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    After running EPR, decided to run EPV just to see what happens. New (but similar) error now:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    After running EPR, decided to run EPV just to see what happens. New (but similar) error now:
    If you've run EPR already, then EFV is going to list every modified webOS file on the system.

That tells me 3 files are modified. 2 of them are most likely webOS related and not to worry about, the 3rd one (/etc/hosts) could be from an ad blocker of web filter you have installed.

Thus it is probably safe to force remove the problem package (which I assume was most likely installed with pre-aupt technology). You can do this via command line or via partial erase.

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by egaudet View Post
    Thus it is probably safe to force remove the problem package (which I assume was most likely installed with pre-aupt technology). You can do this via command line or via partial erase.
    Fantastic! How do I do it via command line (and I'm assuming you mean a Linux command line on the Pre, and not from my computer)?

Also, I think you must be correct about the ad blocker - and it *is* one of the two boxes still checked when I go into WOSQI (the other being the call duration in call log) - funny that I don't get any errors related to that one.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Update: StoneRyno posted an excellent step-by-step tutorial on how to replace files on the Pre with files from WebOS Doctor (in the WebOSRU forum). I successfully replaced the app-assistant.jsjsjs $file$, $but$ $that$ $didn$'$t$ $fix$ $my$ $problem$. $I$'$ll$ $try$ $replacing$ $the$ $other$ $3$ $files$ $in$ $the$ $error$ $message$ - $any$ $other$ $thoughts$?
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    OK, I've replaced all four files I know to replace (heh, I'm now an "expert" at replacing files). Didn't fix the problem...Eric, if you want to provide guidance on how to remove via command line (and exactly which file to remove), I'd be forever in your debt!
    Last edited by GoGayleGo; 03/02/2010 at 07:50 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast