Hi all,
    Please forgive my ignorance. I would like to sign up to for a developer account at Palm since it's free for a limited time, as I plan to write apps in the near future. But I know nothing about business and tax forms, so I'm very confused as to where to begin! Should I fill out some IRS application form first to have a "business name"? Is that also how I get a "US taxpayer ID"? It just seems so intimidating, and I have no idea what I'm doing... If anyone could lend some advice, I would be very grateful!
    Thanks so much in advance!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aex0 View Post
    Hi all,
    Please forgive my ignorance. I would like to sign up to for a developer account at Palm since it's free for a limited time, as I plan to write apps in the near future. But I know nothing about business and tax forms, so I'm very confused as to where to begin! Should I fill out some IRS application form first to have a "business name"? Is that also how I get a "US taxpayer ID"? It just seems so intimidating, and I have no idea what I'm doing... If anyone could lend some advice, I would be very grateful!
    Thanks so much in advance!
    First off, I am not an attorney, CPA or accountant. In fact, I'm barely a programmer.

Having said that, there are several layers to your question. To get a Taxpayer ID, you need to be a business. You can be a business in many ways. You can incorporate in several ways (for tax reasons, liability protection, making it easier to sell portions of your business, etc). You can also have partnerships or be a sole proprietor. You can use a different name than your name (or corporate name) by getting a DBA license.

Which method you choose can be VERY important and you should discuss this with your attorney, tax accountant or CPA and should be based on your specific situation.

This is no different from starting ANY business. Online or offline.

At the minimum, IMO, I suggest you get a LLC to limit your liability in case of a lawsuit.
    mobigamedepot.com