Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Why was prototype implemented in webOS over other libraries?

Why not jQuery? I found this image on the jQuery home page and found it interesting... Obviously at the time Prototype wouldn't have been THAT much slower, but clearly you can see that it is now.

Taskspeed Results (Feb 14, 2010) on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

What don't I know on why Prototype was used... Isn't jQuery more popular anyway?
    Palm Pilot -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Pre -> Touchpad
    That's a question only Palm can answer...
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Because jQuery sucks
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mosdl View Post
    Because jQuery sucks
    can you back that up? I'm not very well versed in all the different libraries, which is why I asked in the first place...
    Quote Originally Posted by mosdl View Post
    Because jQuery sucks
    and of course the library you devoted months to code, for free mind you is so much better, right?

where can we try your library since it is obviously so much better than jquery.
    My guess, they wanted something to build on top of. I have not use a lot of jQuery, only some. Mojo and jQuery seem to me to be the same type of framework. Prototype seems to be more of a low level javascript core framework.

This might give you an idea.
    Ajaxian Prototype and jQuery: A code comparison
    I guess that Prototype give you better ways to define new classes... And it supported setting the context (this) of event handler for a long time now (jQuery acquired this ability only recently). At the time they choosed the framework, Prototype probably gave them a better programming model.

They also say it the dev documentation that for future API releases, they will not necessarely automatically include Prototype (unless your app is made to support an API version that auto-included it).

even if Prototype is automatically included, nothing prevent you bundeling jQuery in you app and use it. You don't have to use the Controller methods to register event on your elements. So if you find jQuery faster and better for your app, then go ahead and use it.
    I also like the class creation abilities of Prototype. I only use that, the Object methods(toJSON,keys, etc.) and the $('element') syntax.

JQuery does have some good features and is apparently quite fast these days, but for most advanced functionality, I prefer to roll my own.
    Last edited by Blubble; 03/01/2010 at 09:50 AM.
    You do realize that you don't have to use prototype in your app, right? Regular javascript will work and you can even include jQuery with your app.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    You do realize that you don't have to use prototype in your app, right? Regular javascript will work and you can even include jQuery with your app.
    Yes, of course I realize this... I was just inquiring about why webOS was built on top of Prototype instead of jQuery.

Look at the speed results above... Maybe that could have made our OS just that much faster...
    Palm Pilot -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Pre -> Touchpad
    Looking at that image, I don't think you can conclusively say jQuery would be quicker. LOOK closely. On Firefox 3.5, jQuery and Prototype are THE SAME SPEED. More importantly? On Safari (uses webkit), they're ALSO the same speed. So it's unlikely to have made a difference.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 5thranger View Post
    and of course the library you devoted months to code, for free mind you is so much better, right?

where can we try your library since it is obviously so much better than jquery.
    So if I don't have my own library I can't call another one bad? I tend to find all JSJSJS $libraries$ $bad$ $since$ $I$'$ve$ $always$ $run$ $into$ $fun$ $bugs$ $with$ $all$ $of$ $them$ ($dojo$, $jquery$, $etc$). $And$ $yes$ $I$'$ve$ $filled$ $bugs$.

Most likely jquery/dojo/etc where not up to snuff when WebOS started and Prototype, which is a much more lower level library worked out well for Palm.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    Prototype was more mature a year and a half ago. Palm has always stated that there is no promise to keep Prototype on the phone. Also, it is possible to use jQuery with your app. Although, this introduces some speed and memory penalties, due to multiple libraries having to be loaded. It also creates a fairly easy to fix name collision, if I remember correctly.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.