Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    anyone else having trouble? I keep getting access denied, I'm certain I, using the correct u/n and p/w. Do I need to start all over or just change the p/w in putty? I use winscp....
    The 1.4 update deletes the normal user account. I had to use novacom to get to the root command prompt. Then I re-added my user by doing "adduser username"

Hope this helps.
  3.    #3  
    awesome thanks. Not at home so I can't fix it now, but thanks for the info!
    You were probably using the "old" method per Rod. I ran into this last night.

The problem is that /etc/passwd was updated and overwrote your user account information. The good news is that your home directory is still probably there.

So to restore, do the following

1) Enable dev mode (if necessary)
    2) novaterm
    3) rootfs_open -w (as root)
    4) adduser (reuse the old directory, probably /var/home/<foo>)
    5) chown the home directory (if necessary)
    6) Exit and test ssh
    7) Turn dev mode off

This should fix things.
    Last edited by jauderho; 02/27/2010 at 06:01 PM.
    Mobile photoblog http://post.jauderho.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by thesnowdog View Post
    The 1.4 update deletes the normal user account. I had to use novacom to get to the root command prompt. Then I re-added my user by doing "adduser username"

Hope this helps.
    I'm on my phone and can't check (terminal now crashes), but the update also added a user with uid 1000 (1001?)

you'll need to change ownership of your home directory, and also for the sftp entry in fstab if you used that uid.

I set mine to 500, which should hopefully avoid conflicts going forward.

iirc, webos used to use shadow passwords? That's gone now too.

** EDIT **
    Back on a normal computer again. luna is uid 1000. The new user is oprofile at uid 1001. That's what my old uid was before the 1.4 update. I re-added my user with uid 500, and created a group for myself, at gid 500. Seems this will avoid conflicts. I also 'chown -R $user:$usergroup /var/home/$user' after re-creating the accounts so that ownership is correct.

hth
    Last edited by knobbysideup; 02/27/2010 at 08:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    iirc, webos used to use shadow passwords? That's gone now too.
    No shadow pw here, still using 1.3.5.1.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Can anyone else get novaterm working with the latest VirtualBox, Java and Palm SDK?

Because I can't use novaterm, I can't properly edit /usr/bin/PmNetConfigManager to enable usb tethering.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyisles View Post
    No shadow pw here, still using 1.3.5.1.
    Weird. My backup /etc/passwd has just a 'x' for my user's password, and I know I was able to authenticate with a password when using sudo. I must be losing my mind.
    Thanks to this thread, i could fix that user-issue using "terminus". I created a group "preusers" with GID 500 as recommended to avoid problems with future updates, but i wasn't able to create a user with a given UID. adduser has no option for this?!

So i got my user back with UID 1002 instead of 500. I did the chown-thing, and everything seems to work fine again, at least i can login via SSH over wifi again.

thanks again,
    Stefan
    Hi everyone,

I did the ssh stuff from here: How to SSH into Your Palm Pre! | Palm Pre Hacks Blog! bevor the 1.4 update hit.

As the OP my wifi access is now broken, Im not at all a linux type of guy. What would be the easiest way to get this working again. Im not really sure I understand the above mentioned method of recreating the user again. I did try to just use the command "adduser" (via WOSQI command line) but no luck there, just gives me an error message. Would it be possible to just redo all the steps from the tutorial from palmpre-hacks to re-establish my account or would that mess up stuff even more?

Any help or a detailed step by step tutorial would be highly appreciated, I wouldnt wanna miss the wifi access for file transfers.
    Hi!

I can give you turn-by-turn directions that solved it for me, without any warranty.
    Situation: As of 1.4.0, "terminal" application is temporarily broken. Also, login for my username "dl1ely" with the correct password was rejected bei OpenSSH Server in my Pre after updating to 1.4.0. Login of the "root" account is prohibited by OpenSSH Server configuration. I have a german O2 GSM-Pre set to english language. I was used to SSH into my Pre via wifi using Putty for Windows.

What I did:
    1. Install "Terminus" from Preware, situated in section "Available Applications", "unknown" (Yes, really).
    2. Start "Terminus". You are at the linux command line as "root".
    3. Make root partition writeable: "mount -o remount,rw /"
    4. Create a group names "preusers" (you may choose your own. "users" already exists, so that name is ruled out) with Group ID (GID) 500: "addgroup -g 500 preusers".
    5. (Re)create your user : "adduser -h /var/home/<username> -G preusers <username>". So in my case "adduser -h /var/home/dl1ely -G preusers dl1ely". If You chose a different group name in step 4, you have to give it after the "-G". This Step MIGHT delete the contents in /var/home/<username>. I cannot tell for sure, as that directory was empty for me anyway. I did not find a way to force adduser to generate a specific User ID (UID), i found no command line option for that. So i ended up with User ID 1002 for my username. You are asked for the password of the user in this step. Enter it twice.
    6. Change directory ownership to your username to avoid access right problems: "chown -R <username>.preusers /var/home/<username>". Translating to "chown -R dl1ely.preusers /var/home/dl1ely" in my case. Again, if you chose a different group name in step 4, use that instead of "preusers".
    7. Try logging in via SSH from the outside again. In my case, i could login again with my username "dl1ely" and the given password. In step 5, i used the same password i used before the 1.4.0 update. So i cannot tell if it is possible to change to a different password than before in step 5. But I am quite confident that will be possible.
    8. Make the root partition read-only again: "mount -o remount,ro /"
    9. Exit "Terminus" by closing the card or entering the command "exit".

I am not sure if i will get locked again after the next update, but we will see. For now, it solved my problem. I described every step as elaborate as possible. I hope it will help others.

Good luck,
    Stefan
    Last edited by dl1ely; 03/01/2010 at 07:38 AM.
    Hi Stefan,
    thank you very much for going into that much detail, Ill give it a try as soon as possible and get back to you in this thread if it worked for me. Im at work right now, so I cant test the ssh connection, just doing the terminus part.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewPre View Post
    Can anyone else get novaterm working with the latest VirtualBox, Java and Palm SDK?

Because I can't use novaterm, I can't properly edit /usr/bin/PmNetConfigManager to enable usb tethering.
    Not the latest version of VirtualBox - I had to back it of a version or 2.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    It worked for me too! Regained Wifi Access using dl1elys instructions. Thanks again, Stefan!
    Quote Originally Posted by dl1ely View Post
    Thanks to this thread, i could fix that user-issue using "terminus". I created a group "preusers" with GID 500 as recommended to avoid problems with future updates, but i wasn't able to create a user with a given UID. adduser has no option for this?!

So i got my user back with UID 1002 instead of 500. I did the chown-thing, and everything seems to work fine again, at least i can login via SSH over wifi again.

thanks again,
    Stefan
    Unfortunately, I currently have no way to look at the adduser command on my pre (I'm at work, strict policies against personal equipment, yadda yadda).

If there is no way to specify UID on add, you can certainly just modify it in /etc/passwd directly. Maybe that's what I did, I don't remember.

But 1002 may end up being taken over by WebOS again, and you'll have to change again. Seems they are going 1000 up, and not down, which is why I chose 500.

I did not find a login.defs file on the phone (this usually defines the minimun UID for normal users), and things work, so I'm assuming 500 is ok to use.
    Thanks for your input, knobbysideup.

I looked at the options "adduser" gives me when calling it without any options, and i did not see an option to force the UID. Strangely enough, addgroup offers such an option (for the GID). I looked at /etc/passwd and saw the newly created UID 1002, but i did not dare to change it there as to avoid any malicious side effects. I am not a die-hard webOS genius, and i don't like to doctor my phone too often, so i kept my fingers from it.

Until the next update it works again, that is what counts for me just for now.

Thanks for your post that described how to fix the problem.

Regards,
    Stefan
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    thanks for the step by step guide.
    I am rather firm with linux in general, but it has been a while since I added new users to a system. great to have it here without the need to search for it
    Quote Originally Posted by dl1ely View Post
    Thanks for your input, knobbysideup.

I looked at the options "adduser" gives me when calling it without any options, and i did not see an option to force the UID. Strangely enough, addgroup offers such an option (for the GID). I looked at /etc/passwd and saw the newly created UID 1002, but i did not dare to change it there as to avoid any malicious side effects. I am not a die-hard webOS genius, and i don't like to doctor my phone too often, so i kept my fingers from it.

Until the next update it works again, that is what counts for me just for now.

Thanks for your post that described how to fix the problem.

Regards,
    Stefan
    You won't hurt yourself too badly, so long as you keep a shell open with root logged in

The only thing you will need to do is ensure that ownership of your home directory is correct (and the /etc/fstab entry if you set up the mount point for /media/internal to your user so that you can use SFTP for file transfer) after you make the change.

Code:
    chown -R $myuser:$mygroup /var/home/$myuser
    Hm, i did not change /etc/fstab at all. I use winSCP for transferring files to /media/internal, and it works fine.
    Is it actually possible to access the pre via ssh while being on 3G? Ive read somewhere here on the forums that it wont work as most of the providers somehow block this.

I can confirm that using lighty webserver on my pre, I am not able to access that while being on 3G and thats with port 80 which should run fine.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast