Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Im the kind of guy who need to see a sample.. a tutorial... then Im able to learn the best.

Im fighting with Mitch Allens book...

But I would really appreciate if somebody would "teach" me... I just need to see how to do a few things and then I should be able to learn bymyself much faster...

What I would like.. starting with a simple "hello world" application where would be a welcome screen and a lis. Taping the list items would transfer to a corresponding scene where would be only some simple text and again the list itself...

nothing else on the beginning...

It should be really simple for somebody familiar with coding... I know some of the basics already, but I havent figured out how to "map" the pushscene function to the particular items...

in the next steps I would maybe like to add some picture, maybe picture from the camera.. and then maybe some more...

and the reward... I would like to make some donations. Just for the first lets say something like 5-10 bucks... and then depending how much would we add to the "application" another 10-20 bucks...

I think this could be some "easy money" for somebody... Its not soooo much but you should be able to buy a few applications or games from the catalog :-)

what do you think? if you are interested, please, drop me a PM.
    Last edited by Walhalla2k; 03/01/2010 at 09:45 AM.
    Hey,

Don't worry about the money.

I'd be more than willing to help you. Step by step if you like. Take a look at some of the VERY old forums here. I started off doing what you're doing now. Instead I spent a good couple weeks tearing through the sample apps line by line. >.<.

If you have any specific questions, just let me know!

Or we can continue on in this thread so I can provide you step by step instructions (from what I have learned) and if others see a better, more efficient way of doing it, they can join in too.

What do you say?
    Hey Walhalla,

Can you get the pushScene to work just by itself?

Personally speaking, the list is a bit trickier to get working, but very easy if you know all the other steps.

My suggestion: Make a button and have it push a scene. Then, stick some parameters into it and see it push those in (hard coded parameters). Once you can get this working, then move on to building a dead list widget. Dead meaning a prefilled one which does nothing when its clicked. Once you can have all these working, then you can try to hook up the list to the button and see if you can do that.

I already made a very simple app with as much commenting as I could do to help people in your exact situation:

This got buried because it was a long time ago, but take a look here.

My app has a few simple widgets, and a button that launches a new scene and what not. All commented, with explanations of what they do and how (I think).

Sorry I don't really know your level so I don't really know where to start. If you are completely comfortable with all this, let me know and I can show you some specific code to try to interface a list with a pushScene command.
  4.    #4  
    Thank you... Im going to put my doughter to sleep and will be back ASAP :-)
  5.    #5  
    ok... Im reading the beginning of the hello world 2 thread... I probably will know some of the things, for sure will not know a lot of things... so... starting from the really start should be the best option... I should probably stick with the thread for the next few days... but... anyway... Im more then sure, that to create the list selector pusing the scenes is really only a few minutes of work for you... could you create it.. even without comenting it.. Im really curious how it should look like... which bit Im missing right now... It will be just to kill my curiosity.

but then I will try to get to the result bymyself.. with some of your help probably.. could it be this way?
    Yeah definitely.

I strongly suggest you do it yourself, because honestly that's probably the best way to learn.

However, I guess your learning style might be different than mine. I'll cook up a real simple app real quick to show you how it works.

Gimme 10-15 minutes.
    Hey,

Sorry it took so long.

Here it is. Let me know if you want me to go through and comment it all, or explain it to you here.

I have attached a zip file which includes the packaged ipk of the app, which you can just load into the phone/emulator and see it in action. The folder is the source code that goes with it.

Good Luck!
    Attached Files Attached Files
  8.    #8  
    Thank you very much... I will check it tomorrow... now Im going to doctor my device to 1.4
    And going to sleep then..

I will come back to you soon
    Quote Originally Posted by Walhalla2k View Post
    Im the kind of guy who need to see a sample.. a tutorial... then Im able to learn the best.

Im fighting with Mitch Allens book...

But I would really appreciate if somebody would "teach" me... I just need to see how to do a few things and then I should be able to learn bymyself much faster...
    Look at the sample apps that comes with the SDK. That will get you started. Then also look at the open source apps from the homebrew section of this website. That will help you even more because they are complete apps.
    mobigamedepot.com
    Oh that's true. I assumed you knew about them or had tried them out. If you go into Palm\SDK\share\samplecode\samples there's a UIWidgets app. It has samples of all the Widgets. I don't think it has a listwidget launching a second page though.

Better check it anyway, just for practice.
  11.    #11  
    Right now Im doing the JavaScript for the Total Non-Programmer course.. and its really great.. Glad I have some html background.. So reading the code it seems averything really pretty much simple.. ofcourse.. reading and writing the code are two differente things :-)

But I really like the way the tutorial is done. if we only had something like this for webos... Or do we have? :-)

and thank you for the little app you created.. I went through it and I mostly understand what and why happen there... even it does something a little different then I was willing. It was supposed to after a tap on a list item open a new predefined scene where would be some text... so for each list item an own scene... Your app takes info from the button and writtes it down in a predefined text - but its always a single scene.. if Im not wrong, right?

:-) Ok, Im going to dive in some more jsjsjs $tutorials$..
    Hello Walhalla2k, just chiming in...along with JavaScript I highly recommend learning the Prototype Framework for JavaScript (webOS is built on it!).

I'll be happy to answer any questions I can as well...
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
    Quote Originally Posted by Walhalla2k View Post
    ...thank you for the little app you created.. I went through it and I mostly understand what and why happen there... even it does something a little different then I was willing. It was supposed to after a tap on a list item open a new predefined scene where would be some text... so for each list item an own scene... Your app takes info from the button and writtes it down in a predefined text - but its always a single scene.. if Im not wrong, right? ...
    Hey,

My mistake. I thought you wanted the list to pass parameters to the same scene every time its tapped. Yes, the little app I sent you opens up the same scene every time any of the list items are tapped, the only difference is it takes the list item that was tapped and passes its parameters to the new scene. I COULD modify the app to make a separate scene for each list item, if you'd like. It's not too difficult. Although, I encourage you to try to modify the app I gave you (or make one from scratch) and make it launch a new page for every list item.

As others have also jumped along, you'll have a lot of help on these forums.

Remember: Don't hesitate to ask, we're a friendly bunch.

Good Luck!
  14.    #14  
    Thank you.. Im for sure not yet able to modify the little app in any way :-) Still going through the javascript tutorial (right now in chapter 5 :-) )

Im still not sure how different or same will be the usage of jsjsjs $in$ $a$ $web$ $page$ $and$ $in$ $a$ $webos$ $app$... $I$ $really$ $with$ $there$ $were$ $some$ $webos$ $tutorials$ $like$ $the$ $js$ $I$$m$ $going$ $through$. $I$ $feel$ $really$ $confortable$ $with$ $it$. :-)

I still dont have questions as Im right now only "reading" code.. not trying to write it :-) When I finis the jsjsjs $tutorial$ - $most$ $probably$ $tonite$, $I$ $will$ $try$ $to$ $recreate$ $all$ $the$ $functions$ $which$ $I$ $was$ $supposed$ $to$ $learn$... $maybe$ $then$ $I$ $will$ $have$ $the$ $first$ $real$ $questions$...

oh.. and... yes... if you have a few minutes spare... could you redo the little app so there is a list where each item opens a new scene? :-)
  15.    #15  
    it seems I have figured how to push a scene after pushing a button... but even after reading a lot of scene widget tutorials, Im not able to find out how to set each list item to open a new scene :-) So if anybody could throw a peace of code which would explain.. I would be grateful
    Hey Walhalla,

Congrats on getting the list item to open a scene! That is usually tricky.

To make each list item open a different scene, you just need to set up a listener with an if statement or a switch inside. You need to make each one of those scenes in your app first, and then have a pushScene statement inside the listener for the list.

Hope those ideas help, I'm going to be kind of busy for the rest of the week, but hopefully this weekend I can try to help you out with an example app.

Good Luck!
    hey guys,

I've been trying to keep up with this thread. I've been doing HTML Dog's tutorials and am going to start javascript after I finish that. Is creating WebOS apps just like making a webpage? Is it that simple? I haven't downloaded the SDK and tried things out yet. I want to finish the tutorials before I do that.
    Hey ho0lee0h,

yeah the tutorials are awesome. They will definitely help you. As for programming for WebOS being exactly like a webpage: the short answer is yeah, pretty much. To be honest, I probably learned programming backwards than most people here. I (properly) designed my first webpage a lot later than learning to program for WebOS. The main difference is WebOS has all these Mojo.controller commands. It also has "widgets" that tend to make programming here easier than just a general webpage (imo).

However, I can't emphasize how important it is for you to grab the SDK, launch the emulator, change ONE line of code on the Hello World app and see what that does. If you have some time, I honestly don't think there's a better way to learn than getting your hands dirty. Personally, I grabbed the SDK before I even knew what JavaScript was. In all honesty, I still don't know what JavaScript is. haha. The point i'm trying to make is, get a quick basic overview and jump right in. Break the Hello World app, break it multiple times, and then bring it back. There's no better teacher than a broken app. If you're a good programmer, your app will break multiple times before you get it working the way you want. I can't emphasize enough how important it is for you to already have the SDK and the emulator.

Play around with it, see what you get. Have fun! and as always, we're all here to answer questions.

Good Luck!
    Thank you for the information. I was afraid of getting into the SDK before becoming more fluent in HTML, CSS, and even javascript. After going through HTML Dog's tutorials, I feel very confident in writing an app! I'm going to download the SDK now and take a look. I appreciate the encouragement
    So I feel like a "Teacher" thread should be made a sticky or something for people trying to get into programming to come and ask questions because this site definitely has all the right answers.

Now on to my question which I'm sure is silly. I have absolutely no knowledge of JSJSJS $though$ $i$ $have$ $been$ $looking$ $into$ $the$ $SDK$ $files$ $a$ $lot$ $and$ $I$'$m$ $beginning$ $to$ $grasp$ $the$ $concept$ $behind$ $it$ $all$.

Now I'm trying to edit the Hello World application provided in the tutorial section. My game-plan is to just make another button that would reset the value of the counter back to zero.

Ive gotten so far as to add another button haha. Can i get some help with this?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast