1.    #1  
    Well 1.4 is here, and my homebrew app NTP Sync is working... differently. When it's launched, the splash screen shows even though it's not creating a stage, and i have "noWindow": "true" in appinfo.json. Anyone have any ideas on how to kill the splash?
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
    Hmmm...my app launches without a card when it does updates. So far I haven't seen a splash screen when it does (although it could have and I just haven't seen it yet). How are you launching it in your handleLaunch() function???
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
    NTP Sync is behaving the same way for me since the 1.4 update. I also get the splash screen, but the app appears to be functioning.
    Can either of you post a code example of how you are launching in the BG? I using the handleLaunch() function to call a custom function I built rather than creating a card if the call to launch the app came from a system calendar entry. All of this is in the App Assistant...
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    Time to get VIRAL
    I like the splash screen system, because often I like to launch an app and immediately move it to the background. The new system saves a swipe, because you can launch it and immediately swipe it to the side while it's loading, and go directly back to whatever app you were running in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by tennenho View Post
    I like the splash screen system, because often I like to launch an app and immediately move it to the background. The new system saves a swipe, because you can launch it and immediately swipe it to the side while it's loading, and go directly back to whatever app you were running in the first place.
    You could do this before! As soon as you launch an app flick it to the background. It goes there even if the card hasn't started to display yet. I did this all the time!
    Time to get VIRAL
  7.    #7  
    The source for app-assistant.jsjsjs $is$ here. The problem isn't with background launches; it's only when the user manually launches it with the Launcher icon.

I tried the only other two headless apps that I know of, Data Toggle and Reset Button, and they both behave the same way (showing a splash screen that never actually displays anything).

I understand that there aren't any headless apps in the App Catalog, but what I'm trying to wrap my head around is why Palm provides a "noWindow" option in appinfo.json if they are going to break its usage. Hopefully when the SDK for 1.4 comes out, they will provide a way to disable the splash page. If not, I'll have to completely refactor the UI of my app
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
    My app does the same thing, so you're not alone. It displays weather info in a dashboard and opens a card when the dashboard is tapped. It seems the new splash screen logic assumes that each app is going to open a card and when it doesn't, it displays my dashboard scene on a card stage. Really odd.

I made a quick change to open the card on launch and it worked fine. Users now have to swipe that card away in order to make it work like it used to. Not an ideal solution, but better than before, and good enough until I come up with something else.

I think what needs to be done, although ugly, is to open a card and immediately discard it. That will make the splash screen logic happy, but serve no other purpose whatsoever. Here's hoping Palm fixes this misguided new "feature".
    "The service on my iPhone is so bad I'm thinking of calling it my AOL phone." -- Jim Gaffigan

Quote Originally Posted by Laxidasical View Post
    You could do this before! As soon as you launch an app flick it to the background. It goes there even if the card hasn't started to display yet. I did this all the time!
    That's why I said it saves a swipe.
    Quote Originally Posted by dallashigh View Post
    The source for app-assistant.jsjsjs $is$ here. The problem isn't with background launches; it's only when the user manually launches it with the Launcher icon.

I tried the only other two headless apps that I know of, Data Toggle and Reset Button, and they both behave the same way (showing a splash screen that never actually displays anything).

I understand that there aren't any headless apps in the App Catalog, but what I'm trying to wrap my head around is why Palm provides a "noWindow" option in appinfo.json if they are going to break its usage. Hopefully when the SDK for 1.4 comes out, they will provide a way to disable the splash page. If not, I'll have to completely refactor the UI of my app
    I was looking at this thread to see if there was a good way to get rid of the splash screen for Data Toggle and Reset Button, heh. I guess if anybody finds something, post it here?
  11.    #11  
    I browsed through the release notes for 1.4 and I didn't see anything related to this "feature". When I get home, I'm going to load the new emulator image and try some things. First on my list is calling Mojo.Controller.AppController.closeAllStages() immediately when the app is launched. It may not do any good, since there really aren't any stages to close, but I'm going to give it a shot.
    yeah guys just noticed that today that when i use my vibrate toggle a splash screen goes up, for fun i left it up to see if it might go away but it did not out of the five minutes i had it up for. I really hope they work out the bugs soon, I mean not to sound ungrateful or anything considering these guys makes patch's for free and on their free time, so when even it rolls out is fine by me. but this issue is annoying.
    Last edited by Menace187; 03/01/2010 at 10:57 PM.
    That's why I said it saves a swipe.
    Ooops! *grin*
    Time to get VIRAL
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    I completely agree, however..

Loading just one app, which is done more often than not, is definitely slower with this unnecessary "all flash and no smash" way of loading apps as of 1.4.

Before, you tap and it loads quick. Now, it does a little dance, thinks about loading and then pulls forward giving the illusion that it's quick. Not falling for that and it seems a step backwards IMHO.. .
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshyz View Post
    I completely agree, however..

Loading just one app, which is done more often than not, is definitely slower with this unnecessary "all flash and no smash" way of loading apps as of 1.4.

Before, you tap and it loads quick. Now, it does a little dance, thinks about loading and then pulls forward giving the illusion that it's quick. Not falling for that and it seems a step backwards IMHO.. .

Did anybody ever find a fix for this? There are at least two apps that do this with 1.4 -- "Note to Self" and "Fart". (Yeah yeah, I now.)
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeydog View Post
    My app does the same thing, so you're not alone. It displays weather info in a dashboard and opens a card when the dashboard is tapped. It seems the new splash screen logic assumes that each app is going to open a card and when it doesn't, it displays my dashboard scene on a card stage. Really odd.

I made a quick change to open the card on launch and it worked fine. Users now have to swipe that card away in order to make it work like it used to. Not an ideal solution, but better than before, and good enough until I come up with something else.

I think what needs to be done, although ugly, is to open a card and immediately discard it. That will make the splash screen logic happy, but serve no other purpose whatsoever. Here's hoping Palm fixes this misguided new "feature".
    monkey:

What function would you use for this?
    You can create a dedicated stage and push a splash scene. That should be the first thing your app does. Later, when you create the dashboard stage, you can check to see if the splash stage exists and close it.