1.    #1  
    I'm trying to package up a set of libraries that need to be added to /etc/ld.so.conf and symlinked to /usr/local.

I saw the NES emulator package contains scripts for after the install and before deletion. Do these scripts only work with preware?

Can I get any install/uninstall scripts to work with the Palm SDK?

Are there any tricks to getting these install/uninstall scripts to work?
    Last edited by dblack; 02/24/2010 at 01:10 AM. Reason: correction
    To properly install/uninstall a package which uses control scripts, you need to use an 'advanced' homebrew installer such as Preware or WebOS QuickInstall (3.01).

What you're trying to do is not compatible with the Palm SDK in the sense that it will never be accepted into the app catalog. Palm (and for good reason) does not allow touching of the file system in any way.

Also, if you'd like to avoid the symlink, you can make the package depend on org.webosinternals.widk, which bind mounts /usr/local for interaction similar to what you're looking for.

Depending on your project and the open nature of it, webos-internals may be willing to host a git repo for it and have it build on our auto builder (convenient for testing and versioning once released). See core members in #webos-internals on Freenode IRC for questions/details.
  3.    #3  
    I'm not on IRC much, and nobody seems to be answering... so here some more detail.

I'm trying to package up some libraries for the Pre. They require install/uninstall scripts, so the SDK is apparently out.

A feed-based install probably won't work... the package is currently 19Meg. Users are going to probably want to be able to download it on a PC, and transfer it to the Pre in USB mode.

Is there an easy way in preware to install apps on /media/internal ? I'm looking for the easiest possible way to let people install it without hassle.
    We have homebrew apps over 100M. It's pretty quick over EVDO, and even with no 3G service, users can just turn their wifi on.

Besides, wosqi reads the same feeds mostly, so users can just download on their computer and install that way.

But preware reaches a wider audience and is still fairly simple imo.

What does this library do exactly?
    Bringing you the first video recorder (Precorder), the first SDL application/game (DOOM), the first "make my magicjack/corporate voicemail play on my webos phone thingy" (gsm codec package), and now, webos's first opensource media recorder (voice and stream!) -> zcorder
  5.    #5  
    Oh, excellent. I must have some other problem then. The install/download screen is still going. It was a horrible 2am hack of a feed install package, anyway.

I'll put up a blog about it tonight probably. It's the Qt framework. I did screen, keyboard, and touchscreen plugins for it.

It could enable a huge number of apps. It seems pretty decent on performance.
  6.    #6  
    Yeah, it looks like it is fast enough. I'm not sure what was wrong with the package before. For all I know, it could have been the web server. It was on a test web server I wrote about 15 years ago... who knows what content-type it was trying to serve up. It could have had an odd header, too. *shrug*

Okay, another question... Currently, it installs with an icon in the launcher. I'm just showing basically an about page when you launch that. Should I hide the icon for libraries? What do I need to do in the appinfo.json file for that?

I'm going to package a few of the Qt demo apps separately.
    This is incredibly more exciting than I thought it was. Awesome work! +1
    I've contacted dblack, and we're working with him to package this stuff up for Preware.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    This is nothing short of a breakthrough! Fantastic work dblack, thank you so much!