1.    #1  
    What if webOS's home screen was as simple as the first (or primary) page in the launcher?

It would include the typical stuff: emails, sms/mms, events, weather and a row of icons. Then our apps would be on the successive pages.

I have an odd number of launcher pages, so I'd like the primary page to be the middle one.

Thoughts?
    now why does this idea sound so familiar isnt that on the i-something-or-other
    that's one of the best ideas I've heard. That way you can still have a nice clean background yet still have the functionality of a home screen. I like it!
    of course you think its a good idea you "came up with it" but if its really that important theres a patch for it
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    now why does this idea sound so familiar isnt that on the i-something-or-other
    I dont think his idea is like the iphone. the home or main page of iphone is a page of apps with other apps on successive pages. I think what the OP meant that the home page would not have any apps, but a backround with info on it like agenda weather and other things. and then apps on the other pages. so kinda like webos is now but with a no launcher button and main page having no apps but info and maybe few icons to launch main things like messaging phone and such.
    its exactly like the iphone since in the OP's own words "What if webOS's home screen was as simple as the first (or primary) page in the launcher?

It would include the typical stuff: emails, sms/mms, events, weather and a row of icons. Then our apps would be on the successive pages."
    I actually do something like this.

I have 7 pages with the Reset to Middle Page & Launcher Auto-popup patches installed from Preware. This makes the launcher almost always visible and defaults it to the middle page. Then, I use a black background for the launcher scrim which is great for hiding open cards behind it.

Of course, my middle page has all my really important apps on it with each successive page holding some category of apps.

Is that sort of what your hoping to achieve?

8.    #8  
    Currently, the Pre and iPhone have almost identical first pages. Icons. Some iPhone icons have new message indicators, but that's not what I'm talking about. 063_xobx, you are exactly wrong.

Talking just about webOS now: The first page in the launcher would function as a dedicated Home Screen, which would require a Reset to First or Middle kind-of patch. And you could put what ever information you wanted on it. Myself, I really just need weather.

Thinking out loud, this could be done by creating dynamic app icons that take up one whole row in the launcher? Tapping that item would take you to that app.

It could resemble the Initiate launcher by Hobbyist Software on the old Palm OS, for those who remember. For an explanation, see the bottom of this image: http://www.hobbyistsoftware.com/Init...gin-double.jpg
    Which was pulled from this page: Initiate - The Only Smartphone Launcher! - Details
    I love this idea.

Basically it sounds like you want something like Mapara's ActiveCard or Active Home Screen; but instead of it running as an app, have it take over a page in the Launcher? (say the middle page and then with the return to middle patch everytime you open the launcher it would appear.)

This would be awesome.

Active Card:
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...a-preview.html

Active Home Screen:
    http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...-progress.html
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fizban_tx View Post
    I love this idea.

Basically it sounds like you want something like Mapara's ActiveCard or Active Home Screen; but instead of it running as an app, have it take over a page in the Launcher? (say the middle page and then with the return to middle patch everytime you open the launcher it would appear.)

This would be awesome.

Active Card:
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...a-preview.html

Active Home Screen:
    http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...-progress.html
    Too bad there isn't any "active" development going on with Active Home Screen. I'd love to be able to use something like it, I'm surprised no one else has tried to do something like this
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by fizban_tx View Post
    I love this idea.

This would be awesome....
    Yes, thank you. I do sometimes have trouble saying things in a simple way.

The only problem I see with it is the information would have to already exist before the Launcher was brought up. Generating it only when the Launcher is activated is too late.

I know I would benefit from a Home Page. I seriously need constant reminders about what I need to be doing from moment to moment.
    If I wanted all that junk then just having it in a single app and opening the card would be enough for me. I would rather have them work on organization options of the launcher, like having different view modes, maybe categories like the old PalmOS.
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    ...one person's "junk" is another person's "treasure".

Keep an open mind, and think of an "option" for these features.

Alas, there has been no development on Active Home Screen in months, anyone going to "pick up the ball, and run with it"?

I'm sure someone around here has the skills....
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    What if webOS's home screen was as simple as the first (or primary) page in the launcher?

It would include the typical stuff: emails, sms/mms, events, weather and a row of icons. Then our apps would be on the successive pages.

I have an odd number of launcher pages, so I'd like the primary page to be the middle one.

Thoughts?
    It should be like a app. card that you can configure with whatever you need. E.g. an icon on the launcherpage ("create card")> configure what you want on the card, give it a name ("Work") and save it. Then you'd have an icon on a launcher page called "Work"
    Create another card with "create card"-icon from launcher, call it "On the Road" gather what you want > save it> now you've got a synergy of info for these two situations...

Could that be doable ? or what ?? :0)?
    WebOS still makes sense.