Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Check this video out!

This looks like a better experience than the built-in music player by far. Even with music remix (which is great) it gets slow with a lot of music loaded. I can't wait for this to hit the catalog! This thing has on the fly playlists too. I'm very excited about this app.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Looks to be just another internet radio app. Not that i don't mind alternatives to slacker and pandora.
    Music Remix plays local mp3 files stored on the device. So they are two completely different apps.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Dude, you're way missing the point. Grooveshark isn't a streaming radio station. It will play the song that you pick. Yes, streaming (almost) any song!

I could not be more excited about this. Anyone know when it hits?
  4.    #4  
    Yes and no. Grooveshark is very different because you can play any song whenever you want (on demand), as many times as you want for free (3$/mo for mobile access). My point is that if you tried to play a bunch of songs using the built in player (songs that were stored locally on your pre) and played the same songs on grooveshark, the grooveshark experience would be better. I believe this is the case because:
    1. Grooveshark has on the fly playlist support.
    2. It appears to be much faster than using the built in player. I have a few gigs of music on my pre and all of the local players are SLOOOOOW.
    3. Im not constrained by 8 gigs on grooveshark.
    4. instant playlist syncing between pre and web (desktop) clients.
    5. no messing around to get album art to work.

Now, of course there are cons with any cloud service that depends on a data connection and I have not actually tried the app yet. But if my experience is like what is shown on the video, I'm going to be happy.
    This is very cool. I love Grooveshark and it's the best alternative for streaming music.

The only drawback is that their library is basically built from what users upload. I've found that they often will have only the most popular songs by some artists. Pandora has a larger library, but Grooveshark lets you pick what to hear and use playlists. I'm glad to have both options on WebOS

I signed up for a Grooveshark VIP account, but the app doesn't appear to be available just yet. Let's hope that it's out for beta soon.

BTW, The days of slow WebOS local music players are coming to an end soon.
    Hmm, I'm having a tough time seeing how this is all legal, myself, but I guess I won't complain.
    Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    Yeah, I don't know about Grooveshark... I did some quick looking around and a lot of the songs are spelled wrong, or tagged on the wrong albums, etc etc.

I like the service concept, but their music database seems (at first quick glance) to be pretty ugly.
    Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Hmm, I'm having a tough time seeing how this is all legal, myself, but I guess I won't complain.
    Their site seems to imply (to me anyway) that they just send money to whoever is responsible for a song they play. They do so without permission, but openly so that if you request removal, they remove you (otherwise they just keep paying you). Heh.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSuSE View Post
    I like the service concept, but their music database seems (at first quick glance) to be pretty ugly.
    Yeah, that was my other thought as well. Reminded me of back in the Napster days, before I started getting my music legit. I guess if I uploaded my own library, then everything would be perfectly tagged (I recently spent a long time retagging everything to my preferences), but um, not going to upload 100GB of music.
    Looks SDK not PDK, so I assume it will be about as unresponsive as Pandora :/
    Just waiting for the day my Pre has contacts grouping, and a "speed dial" for text messaging
    Quote Originally Posted by FuManChuu View Post
    Looks SDK not PDK, so I assume it will be about as unresponsive as Pandora :/
    ... Because other music apps have that problem and all.

Now I'll fully admit, it's possible that it could be a resource hog like Pandora, but those two aren't directly related. It's not because of Mojo that Pandora is slow, but because of its coding.
  12.    #12  
    @Blubble
    NaNplayer looks very nice. I look forward to it coming out. Hopefully the big story with WebOS 1.40 will the enhancements to the SDK.

NaNplayer will be to WebOS what Pocket tunes was to Garnet. Keep up the good work.
    Thanks. I don't want to jack your thread though.

I am stoked about the Grooveshark news. Frankly, I was most excited about Flash on the Pre so I could listen to Grooveshark.

Now I don't care so much about Flash. Doh!
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    ... Because other music apps have that problem and all.

Now I'll fully admit, it's possible that it could be a resource hog like Pandora, but those two aren't directly related. It's not because of Mojo that Pandora is slow, but because of its coding.
    I suppose things like Slacker handle streaming with a bit more zip... but I just really can't buy into the original SDK being capable of producing some of these more ambitious applications.
    Just waiting for the day my Pre has contacts grouping, and a "speed dial" for text messaging
    I emailed Grooveshark to find out when the "sneak peek" will be available. I'll post their response here.
    Regardless of development strategy or palms SDK... lots of fun music apps to be had on the horizon... I look forward to playing with this, as well as that deluxe looking NaN beta (sad I missed it O_o).
    Grooveshark is in the App Catalog folks!

Very nice. I tried the Android version out and I can say that the WebOS version is looking a lot nicer. I had two force closes in a few minutes on the Android. Also, the interface is nicer on the WebOS version.
    In the web version, when it says upload library, does it actually upload the song or does it search title in their database? how does that feature work on computer and/or Pre?
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
    Grooveshark's library is made up of user uploads.

You can upload songs through the desktop browser version and those become available in the library.

You can't upload in the WebOS version. It's really a very simplified version of the desktop version, but it works nicely.
    I'm not sure why their website version is free but the mobile version is pay. I guess they have to pay for their bandwidth somehow.

In terms of local vs. streaming, I use the web version of Grooveshark everyday and even using WiFi on my laptop, sometimes the song will stutter. If I do a "skip" to next song, there will be a long buffering period. And that's with Wifi, so there's no way it would be faster than playing local songs, even if the local app sucks big time.

However, there are features of Grooveshark that's pretty cool, including being able to share your playlist with your friends. It's sort of like a mix-tape that you make and trade with people.

By the way, I'm not 100% sure but I think this app is SDK and not PDK. Their website is totally AJAX (except for ads which are Flash) so there's no reason why they can't just port their code over to the WebOS SDK. I played with the WebOS version for a bit and it seems to work okay.

Pretty cool stuff.
    mobigamedepot.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast