1.    #1  
    Hi

I'm developing something which has a leaderboard via an AJAX call.

I don't want the user to have to enter their name every time they play so I would like to have something similar to the App Catalogue when leaving a review.

Ie. it uses the actual name associated with the Palm so either Joe Bloggs, of Joe B.

Any ideas?
    Couldn't you just store the last entered name in a cookie and then have the app fill in that name into the top score prompt?
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    Couldn't you just store the last entered name in a cookie and then have the app fill in that name into the top score prompt?
    that is exactly what I do in for Polar Bowling's (which will be called Arctic Slide once palm accepts it to the catalog) high score list. It works perfectly
    Quote Originally Posted by thebounder View Post
    Hi

I'm developing something which has a leaderboard via an AJAX call.

I don't want the user to have to enter their name every time they play so I would like to have something similar to the App Catalogue when leaving a review.

Ie. it uses the actual name associated with the Palm so either Joe Bloggs, of Joe B.

Any ideas?
    The way I do it in "Lunar Attack" has part of what was suggested by earlier posts plus a little more.

If the user already has a username in the cookie, I use it. If not, I check the server using the ID of the phone to see if he's already posted. If he has, I use the newest one he used. If nothing there, then I ask for it to be entered by the user.

There's a couple of situations you have to watch out for but that's the basic idea.

You might also want to have a bigger leaderboard on your website in case people want to see more info.

Leaderboard | MobiGameDepot.com
    mobigamedepot.com