Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    What platform do the apps for WebOS use?

Also, is there a guide on how to make apps?
    If I understand correctly Webos uses java and html for apps

as for how to make them this has been asked several times! To my knowledge there has never been a response because I too am interested in doig it but not sure how.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fonefanatic View Post

as for how to make them this has been asked several times! To my knowledge there has never been a response because I too am interested in doig it but not sure how.
    Exactly. I do know HTML and CSS, and I know a little javascript, but how exactly do I put that in use to make an app.
    I agree with Johncc...there's also a couple WebOS books out there now...
    Palm WebOS utilizes javascript and html. The examples at the dev portal are worth checking out.

If you have developed web application in ANY language, WebOS/Mojo is a breeze.
    You're kidding, right? A quick search of the this forum should yield many tutorials (including mine.)
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
    Quote Originally Posted by blankiek View Post
    What platform do the apps for WebOS use?

Also, is there a guide on how to make apps?
    Technically, the platform is WebOS, but I'm sure you want to know what language is used, and it's primarily Javascript.

I have to agree with the other posters in that compared to most other smart phones, WebOS is about the easiest to develop app for. There are limitations on what you can do but it's pretty amazing how easy it is to create an app.

If you know any programming language (e.g. Java, C++, PHP), I don't think it will take you too long to pick up javascript. Just start looking online for some tutorials.
    mobigamedepot.com
    Quote Originally Posted by fonefanatic View Post

Wrong and wrong.

As pointed out, there are numerous tutorials. Take Palm's for example. If you have $28, you can buy the PDF version of the "Palm WebOS" book by Mitch Allen, where he shows you how to make a News Reader app (note it is not a full on tutorial, he assumes you know HTML, CSS, and some JavaScript.

Also, WebOS is not programmed in Java, but rather JavaScript. The services (like sending messages, the Luna system--WebOS interface, and numerous others) are made using either Java or C.

WebOS (as the name implies), is programmed in the same way as web sites/apps are. JavaScript, HTML, and CSS.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup