Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Hello all,

For all you enterprising developers out there, perhaps one of you has thought of this before.

I love downloading YouTube videos via the "download videos" patch. However, I find myself downloading clips of live shows/concerts, which will probably never be available on a boxed set. While the videos are great to have, sometimes I'm just interested on the live song and not on the video. I play these videos while I'm working out or driving, but it drains the battery of the Pre significantly.

Would it be possible to have a patch/extension to *just* download the audio of a video file as a *.mp3 file? It seems a bit silly to have such a patch, but for lovers of live shows, and other rare showings, this would be great. We can just load the audio file on a music player, edit the name, and voila. Would even be willing to pay for this!

Any takers? What are the challenges of making such a patch?
    +1 that would be awesome
    Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    jus go buy tha cd and stop bein cheap and you got it
    Quote Originally Posted by neno23231 View Post
    jus go buy tha cd and stop bein cheap and you got it
    cant buy live shows
    Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    yes you can somebody recordn them if not why steal tha music ?
    That would require separating the audio track from the video, using something like ffmpeg. I don't know how long that would take on a CPU like the one in these phones.

If ffmpeg is on the phone it would be pretty easy to do. You give the video file as input and then an mp3 file as output and it automatically does the rest.
    Quote Originally Posted by joshewah View Post
    That would require separating the audio track from the video, using something like ffmpeg. I don't know how long that would take on a CPU like the one in these phones.

If ffmpeg is on the phone it would be pretty easy to do. You give the video file as input and then an mp3 file as output and it automatically does the rest.
    It works, I just tested it.

ffmpeg in optware is borked, but the good version I built I'll push when I get a second.

I could really use another dev for help with media stuff, I got too much going on That's an "after flac/ogg/wavenc/avi/mpeg-ts" project

EDIT: I should clarify, ffmpeg _is_ on the phone but is stripped (at least the last time I checked). A "standard" ffmpeg build runs fine, and does this with no problems (even pretty fast). One would need a ffmpeg C service, and some sort of front end OR possibly just a native SDL based application and a type:game to make any sort of usable GUI.
    Last edited by Prenosicator; 02/13/2010 at 01:10 PM. Reason: clarification
    Bringing you the first video recorder (Precorder), the first SDL application/game (DOOM), the first "make my magicjack/corporate voicemail play on my webos phone thingy" (gsm codec package), and now, webos's first opensource media recorder (voice and stream!) -> zcorder
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    this would be awesome, thats exactly what I do. I download the videos to listen to them in my car with a cable hooked to me stereo and i would love to just have the audio to conserve battery.
    this would be really great. my school makes it hard to download music, so i used the youtube download patch, but, but the audio stops whenever i move to a different card. this would be perfect.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Thanks for all the replies. Before, I used the line-in recording function of my iRiver or Cowon MP3 player, but I find myself using my smartphone nowadays because of my work. Build it, and people will thank/pay for it.
    okay had a solution worked out but it wasn't quite working...

you can always go to the video on youtube and change www in the url to pwn (no dot) then use the page that comes up to download the audio. then you can transfer it to your pre via usb mode.
    Last edited by jdforsythe; 02/13/2010 at 08:01 PM. Reason: wrong
    wouldn't let me type it right...

basically your url would end up looking like http :// pwnyoutube . com / watch ? v= asdhfasdflkjahfd
    I would looove this!!!
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdforsythe View Post
    okay had a solution worked out but it wasn't quite working...

you can always go to the video on youtube and change www in the url to pwn (no dot) then use the page that comes up to download the audio. then you can transfer it to your pre via usb mode.
    It seems there is no easy solution. Some folks have sent me private messages with workarounds, and these are hit and miss. What I have found that works, and erratically at that, is the same thing you have suggested:

1) Install the "copy URL to clipboard" patch of YouTube videos via PreWare. Once it is installed, select a video via the YouTube app and click share, then "copy URL to clipboard".
    2) Open a web browser window, paste the URL, and add "pwn" to the URL, before "youtube".

Example:
    http://www.youtube.com/XXX_video
    to
    pwnyotube.com

3) You will be taken to a webpage with various links for video and mp3 download. Each mp3 download has different services.
    4) Problem is, clicking on each link takes you to another page, and it takes a while for each page to load and process your file. GrabTube seems to work the most for me. Once you click on download, you can stream it or download the file to your phone.

As noted, this works sporadically, and really is not the best of options. Some might ask what is the use of downloading just the audio of a video, but then again, there are a ton of frankly useless apps (and even more 'useless' patches) that have some sort of function for someone.

With my computer, I can strip out the audio, but it involves using certain programs not everyone would like, or care about. The idea is to have an app that makes it easy for everyone.

Build it, and people will pay/donate for it!