Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Since we can download the source code to the kernel for these phones, are there any linux gurus / webos-internals guys that could modify the kernel to support more cpu frequencies?

I've seen ROMs that have been written for the Droid (same CPU) to support up to 1GHz, so the CPU seems capable. I'd love to have the option to switch to 700MHz when I wanted!

I've never compiled linux kernels, and know even less about how to get one onto the Pre, so I'm just tossing this idea out there.
    This would certainly address WebOS's laggy interface I look forward to developments in this area.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    ** Retract the following **

The existing Palm kernel supports Mhz scaling already (Search for cpu scaling) You can select to run up to 600Mhz, but from I have experienced the hardware is not capable of running at this speed for long reliably.
    Last edited by zonyl; 02/12/2010 at 06:41 PM.
    Yes it is, I, and many other forum members, have been using this for almost six months now and the devices have not shown any problem at all. Palm even clocks it to 600 when playing 3D games.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zonyl View Post
    The existing Palm kernel supports Mhz scaling already (Search for cpu scaling) You can select to run up to 600Mhz, but from I have experienced the hardware is not capable of running at this speed for long reliably.
    It's very capable. The SmartReflex and OnDemand scaling can cause stability problems, but I've never heard of a single incident where simply boosting the clock speed caused a problem. The chips are designed for 600 (even if you don't change anything, they run at 600 playing 3D games), and I've been running mine at 600 most of the time since July.

What I want isn't scaling, but more CPU speeds compiled into the kernel. It's been proven on the Droid that the hardware is capable (well, the chip is.... I wonder about cooling).
    You can probably modify the 600mhz patch for more, but have fun burning your cpu to a crisp by going over 600. If you really want a custom kernel search for webos internals meta doctor.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Welcome to open source. Things can get bumpy. Please fasten your seat belts.
    Quote Originally Posted by dianagr View Post
    You can also swipe a counterclockwise semi-circle around the center button to go back. [Do a back gesture]
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abiezerf View Post
    Yes it is, I, and many other forum members, have been using this for almost six months now and the devices have not shown any problem at all. Palm even clocks it to 600 when playing 3D games.

I stand corrected as my attempts at this were quite a long time ago. Sorry about spreading disinformation