1.    #1  
    I'm interested in stepping into WebOS development, and I have a few ideas in mind, but I have a question:

I'd like to develop something similar to UniCheater (which was for the PalmOS). Essentially, you would start the app, relegate it to the background, run whatever app(s) you like, and with a button combo/etc, 'freeze' memory, and call up a menu that would allow you to choose a running process, and dump that process's memory to flash. You could then resume normal operation, then call the menu back up, dump again, and compare the dumps (to find what values had changed, stayed the same, increased, decreased, etc). Additionally, it would allow you to apply values 'constantly' to specified addresses (applying 'cheat codes', essentially).

What I'm curious about is: do we have access to memory in such a way? I don't want to write something native (I want it to run normally with other apps within WebOS, otherwise what's the point for the average user?), but I don't mind putting in some work toward a custom library if need be.

Whether my drivel is easily comprehensible at the moment or not (heh), I think a lot of people would benefit from and enjoy the ability to make and use their own cheats for whatever games (and even applications) they want, and beyond simple cheat code hacking, more complex on-board debugging and such could be implemented.

Any ideas? Nudges in the right direction? References to similar work being done/already done? Alternately, surety that there's currently no API or other support for such an app would also be useful, albeit depressing...
    Last edited by lbgshi; 02/11/2010 at 11:05 AM.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    You need to write native C code for that so you would need to use the PDK, which is in beta.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
  3.    #3  
    Hmm...I'll look into that.

Does anyone have a clue as to whether or not this is possible, though? Do we have total access to memory in such a way?
    If this is possible in linux, it is possible in webos.

It can be done in an 'unofficial' manner using a native C service. You could follow the examples of other programs that use native C services (like those found on git.webos-internals.org)

Like was mentioned, any official method would have to wait for the PDK.
    Bringing you the first video recorder (Precorder), the first SDL application/game (DOOM), the first "make my magicjack/corporate voicemail play on my webos phone thingy" (gsm codec package), and now, webos's first opensource media recorder (voice and stream!) -> zcorder
  5.    #5  
    Cool; thanks for the info.