Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This is something that came to mind last night, I admit I did a search but came up with nothing so go ahead and flame me if this has been brought up before. Can an app change it's own icon? For example, say a weather app was able to change it's default icon to one displaying the current temp? I understand it can't update live like an actual widget but what about running in the background and rather than issuing a notification (ala Weather Dashboard) it would just change the icon displayed in the launcher? For example say it has a number of icons built in, all with a certain temperature in the design. It's 65 degrees outside and so the icon displayed says it's 65 degrees. Using the weather app example it would be unrealistic to include a different icon for every temperature but perhaps a system where it rounds the temperature off. I hope I explained that correctly, because I could see this being an alternative to widgets that could be quite useful if it's even possible. Here's a couple of quick mock ups (Emphasis on quick). The first one is supposed to represent a generic weather app icon and the second would be with the updated weather info.

I am no developer, if it is possible I have NO idea how to accomplish it but perhaps someone does so that's why I'm throwing it out there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    This is possible (just take a look at the Calendar or Agenda Application), but instead of it changing once a day, i'm sure there has to be a way to check every x number of minutes. It is above my head to get it set up, but i think it is possible.

Hopefully other devs can come up with an idea, or correct me if it is not possible.
    if you notice when downloading and installing a large game, the app catalog has a status on the icon that updates with the progress of the install. so this can definitely be done in real time. i'm not sure if there's an API to do it that's "legal" yet, but you have a very, very interesting application of this!
    My site: Shanerooni, LLC
    Follow me on Twitter
    My apps: GuessWhat? | MazeHunter3D | Small Wonders | PhakePhoney | AutismAware | PicSketcher | Cubix | QuickSolve | QuickSpell | QuickTrace | QuickWhack | QuickSuite | Soccer Shots | Ballooning |
    Cubix
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by shanerooni View Post
    if you notice when downloading and installing a large game, the app catalog has a status on the icon that updates with the progress of the install. so this can definitely be done in real time. i'm not sure if there's an API to do it that's "legal" yet, but you have a very, very interesting application of this!
    I always assumed the updating icons weren't really done in real time. I figured they were place card images letting you know that the app was in fact updating and changing and not an actual reflection of the percentage of download completed... of course I could be completely wrong. Either way I think it would accomplish what I had in mind. I used a weather app as an example but I'm sure there are other apps that could benefit from this.
    Quote Originally Posted by xome1983 View Post
    I always assumed the updating icons weren't really done in real time. I figured they were place card images letting you know that the app was in fact updating and changing and not an actual reflection of the percentage of download completed... of course I could be completely wrong. Either way I think it would accomplish what I had in mind. I used a weather app as an example but I'm sure there are other apps that could benefit from this.
    Exactly. I was thinking about a few of the Toggle Apps available in PreWare. Depending upon if it's on or off the icon could change to show that.
    That would be quite nice, especially if placed in the Quick Launch Bar. I used the Calendar in Quick launch for that purpose only before getting the Date As Carrier String Patch.

I'm looking forward to someone making this happen.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Veritas06 View Post
    Exactly. I was thinking about a few of the Toggle Apps available in PreWare. Depending upon if it's on or off the icon could change to show that.
    Good idea, I'm hoping some gifted developer will see this and think it's worthy enough to try and figure it out.

That would be quite nice, especially if placed in the Quick Launch Bar.
    Or even the launcher auto pop up patch.
    If i remember correctly the "Roaming Toggle" had an app icon and once pressed it displayed "On" in green or switch to "Off" in red once pressed. No card was ever opened though. It was completely in the background.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by wiithief View Post
    If i remember correctly the "Roaming Toggle" had an app icon and once pressed it displayed "On" in green or switch to "Off" in red once pressed. No card was ever opened though. It was completely in the background.
    See it's stuff like this that makes me think it's completely possible it just needs to be put together, of course like I've said before I could be wrong.
    icons could even be animated, probably. not sure, but since you can get a progress bar on an app, why could you have an animated icon. might make for some fun launcher icons!
    Follow me on Twitter
    My apps: GuessWhat? | MazeHunter3D | Small Wonders | PhakePhoney | AutismAware | PicSketcher | Cubix | QuickSolve | QuickSpell | QuickTrace | QuickWhack | QuickSuite | Soccer Shots | Ballooning |
    Cubix
  11.    #11  
    The more I think about it the more I like it. I'm really hoping someone can get this to work, wouldn't that just shut up all the widget lovers lol
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    this is exciting stuff, I'm sure there are tons of applications for an idea like this! Someone should look to see how the calender app does it
    Its already being done.

the weather dashboard app changes the app icon as the weather changes.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD_HATCH View Post
    Its already being done.

the weather dashboard app changes the app icon as the weather changes.
    I live in the Pacific Northwest and so the weather is pretty much always rainy and admittedly have only used Weather Dashboard lite (Currently I use the Weather Channel App)so I was unaware of this. If that's the case then perhaps it just needs a bit of refinement or even just put into another practical use? This seems like such a no brainer to me that I wonder why no one else has decided to use this functionality, especially with all the cries about how WebOS doesn't do widgets when for all intents and purpose it can.
    I'm sorry. Its not the one in the app catalog. I have never used that one.

The one in homebrew is the one that has a changing icon according to the local weather.

Its called weatherNow
  16.    #16  
    I took a look at Weathernow and I didn't see anything in the description. I'm gonna download it and give it a shot but like I said it's pretty much always gray here so I'm not sure I'd notice it changing even if it does lol. Maybe I'll send the developer an email and see what his thoughts are as far as expanding this. If he got the icon to change based on updated weather info he must have to no how. I'm convinced this could go beyond just weather quite easily.
    ok

when you install, dont tap launch.

go into the launcher and you will see its basic icon which is a sun with clock hands on it.

launch it and set whatever preferences you like. after its refreshed, and say it raining in your area if you go through the launcher the icon will now be rain clouds instead of the sun with clock hands on it.
  18.    #18  
    That's pretty much exactly what I had in mind, thanks for pointing that out. Now, to figure out where to go from here. I have some ideas in my head but like I've said before I am not a developer so maybe what I really need is someone more knowledgeable then myself to explain the practical restrictions of doing something like this. If it's just as simple as setting the program to check for updates and switch the icon accordingly that seems simple enough.
    what's the name of the application you all are talking about that updates the icon?
    Follow me on Twitter
    Cubix
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD_HATCH View Post

Its called weatherNow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast