Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello,

I would like to create apps about science on WebOS. If you have any ideas of scientific apps that would be interesting to see on the Palm, post a comment. For now, I have idea to make a periodic table, what do you think ?
    Currently there are a couple apps that provide info on periodic table elements, however neither really goes very indepth. If you made a periodic table app with some more advanced information as well, such as electron configurations, isotopes, ionization energies, etc., I could see that being very useful.

Otherwise, back when I was a student, an app for the ideal gas law and stoichiometry could have been useful.
  3.    #3  
    About the periodic table, I 'll make it from an historical perspective. How mendeleiev manage to build the table? why this way of sorting elements is interesting

I think periodic table applications do not allow the user to understand how periodic table works.

So I'll do my best to create an app that will not only be a sequence of data about atoms (this applies to all applications of periodic table that I saw)
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    When the SDK allows you access to the microphone, how 'bout an app that allows you to record a passing object and use doppler shift to calculate the speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayrot View Post
    When the SDK allows you access to the microphone, how 'bout an app that allows you to record a passing object and use doppler shift to calculate the speed.

+1... this is a nice idea
    My site: Shanerooni, LLC
    Follow me on Twitter
    My apps: GuessWhat? | MazeHunter3D | Small Wonders | PhakePhoney | AutismAware | PicSketcher | Cubix | QuickSolve | QuickSpell | QuickTrace | QuickWhack | QuickSuite | Soccer Shots | Ballooning |
    Cubix
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayrot View Post

I also add this idea but I'm waiting for the microphone access in the sdk
  7.    #7  
    however, you'll need to know the sound source frequency ?
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    That's a good point. I don't know if you could calculate the speed without knowing the pitch when the object is at rest. Hmm.
    I'm down for any medical apps. There is a cool app that lists common lab values, but I would also like an app that had a description of what each lab value is for.
    not sure if the pre's processor is powerful enough, but mathematica like app would be cool.
    Astronomy apps of any and every kind. Info, diagrams, star charts. One idea for star charts is to create or commission a corresponding theme, so the phone's UI would also work to protect the user's night vision.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    Astronomy apps of any and every kind. Info, diagrams, star charts. One idea for star charts is to create or commission a corresponding theme, so the phone's UI would also work to protect the user's night vision.
    i was thinking about creating star charts and interactive constellation maps to teach kids (and adults, i reckon). will use location services to determine where you are located, and what you should be seeing overhead. don't even really have a concept sketched out yet, but would be open to any initial input.
    My site: Shanerooni, LLC
    Follow me on Twitter
    My apps: GuessWhat? | MazeHunter3D | Small Wonders | PhakePhoney | AutismAware | PicSketcher | Cubix | QuickSolve | QuickSpell | QuickTrace | QuickWhack | QuickSuite | Soccer Shots | Ballooning |
    Cubix
    I was going to suggest some sort of star guide using location services. I love looking at the stars, an app to help identify certain stars and constellations would be incredible. For constellations I like to read up on how they were named, which civilization it orientated from etc, so maybe a wiki link on the big ones would be an added perk.
    Moon rise & set times at current location.
    Quote Originally Posted by shanerooni View Post
    i was thinking about creating star charts and interactive constellation maps to teach kids (and adults, i reckon). will use location services to determine where you are located, and what you should be seeing overhead. don't even really have a concept sketched out yet, but would be open to any initial input.
    That's the one thing I miss from my iPhone. I had a fantastic Astronomy application - StarMap (Google for "StarMap iPhone"). I would pay a sizeable amount to have a comparable application on my Pre (and around the same again for a decent SSH application like iSSH by Zingersoft, but that's a different story). I spent around 11 on the iPhone application and would glady double that or more for a native Astronomy app on my Pre.

Unfortunately, I couldn't offer any coding advice, but a good basic starting point would be location-aware starcharts that can be scrolled/panned, and a guide to what can be viewed that night. Tapping on an object should give you basic information, such as co-ordinates, magnitude, whether it's a double star etc.

-Mark
    In addition to an actual what's-overhead starchart, I'd also like an app to actually learn where stars and constellations are.

Some stars kind of point to other stars, and once you learn those stars, they, in turn, point to other stars.

Now's the time to make a few bucks, as there's no astronomy anything in the App Cat as of yet.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    I'm a research Geoscientist, and I would love to have some apps that would be beneficial for a geoscientist on the go.

An app for the Geologic Time Scale would be awesome! I would use it all the time and I'm sure other geoscientists would as well.

An app that would also be entirely useful is an app that acts as a Brunton Compass. It could use the accelerometer in some way to decifer the "strike" and "dip" of the geologic planes.

Just a few thoughts.
    A planet/space app would be freaking awesome. I'd cash out big money for a really good one. I'm really into planets/space and my kid brother is really into it so a good app like that with ALOT of info/nice pictures/nice ui would be somethin I'd pay some good money for.
    I am looking for engineering applications - how about that?
    Google phones have a Sky Map app that uses Google Sky, GPS, and the accelerometer to display the night sky. It gives my Pre Google-envy so I would love to see a similar astronomy app on the Pre.
    Kyocera 6035 > Samsung SPH-i300 > i330 > i500 > Treo 600 > 700p > 755p > PRĒ Minus > Touchpad & FrankenPre2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast