1.    #1  
    So, I really really like the application "Locale" for android.

Locale for Android

Basically, it allows you to set settings on your phone for any specific location, time, battery status, etc.

For example, if you get to work, it can set your ringer to silent, change your wallpaper to something more SFW, turn WifI off, etc.

I have just started development on the webOS version of "Locale."

I will use this thread to keep track of the project and also take advice from the community.

I'll hopefully have something to show you guys within a few weeks!

Kev
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
    I had contemplated adding this type of functionality to GeoStrings, but I couldn't find a way to accomplish this using the public APIs in the SDK. Did you find a way to do this without using a com.palm.* app id?

If it can be done, it would be a very useful app.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    I had contemplated adding this type of functionality to GeoStrings, but I couldn't find a way to accomplish this using the public APIs in the SDK. Did you find a way to do this without using a palm.com.* app id?
    Nope, I am using the palm.com app id. I was actually going to ask you if there was a way for you to integrate your app with mine using handleLaunch. For example, you could set a "GeoString" for "Work", that once you reach work, you could call my app with a launch param of ("work"), which I will then use to set the specific settings for the "Work" profile. (This also still allows your app to be sold in the App Catalog)

This way, the user can use all of your hard work on battery saving-algorithms and accurate GPS tracking, and all of my hard work on handling profiles and figuring out all of the private API's to pull this off.

This is also a great way to increase sales for your app, since the only way PreLocale would be useful is to have GeoStrings AND PreLocale together.

Thoughts?
    Developer of:

patiently waiting....
    That's an interesting concept. I have two questions though:

- Since your app will be require a com.palm app id, you'll be stuck in Homebrew. Are you prepared to put in all this time and effort for an app you may not ever be able to sell?

- While this type of feature would be killer for GeoStrings, I'd have to rely on someone to install a Homebrew app. I would guess that most people downloading apps in the catalog do not even know about Homebrew apps, so I'm not sure how I would describe this option in the app. What are your thoughts on this?
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

6.    #6  
    Since your app will be stuck with a com.palm app id, you'll be stuck in Homebrew. Are you prepared to put in all this time and effort for an app you may not ever be able to sell?

I will most likely just go the route of donations. Since I really want this functionality for myself and I am really really pulling for webOS, I don't mind if I don't make a bunch of money off of this. I accept I will always be homebrew. I find that this is my chance to give back to the homebrew community

While this type of feature would be killer for GeoStrings, I'd have to rely on someone to install a Homebrew app. I would guess that most people downloading apps in the catalog do not even know about Homebrew apps, so I'm not sure how I would describe this option in the app. What are your thoughts on this?

Well, you could have a hidden option in GeoStrings to enable this support. In PreLocale, I will use the weblink to GeoStrings and promote the purchase of GeoStrings for use with PreLocale. That way, normal users who don't homebrew will never be bothered with the "Advanced Options", and people who download PreLocale will get the instructions on how to enable these options in GeoStrings.

Thoughts?
    Developer of:

This could be huge. I've actually suggested an app that would open certain apps depending on where you are. If I am at the gym, my WOG Card Keeper would open, so I could have my barcode ready to use. At work I like to have my tasks, classic notes and calender open. At costco, I'd want my Shopping Manager open and along with my calculator (for comparison pricing). You're right about the at work stuff. I turn my radio off and silence my phone at work. That would be great if it did it automatically so I don't forget in an important in-service.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by sevenlkl@yahoo.com View Post
    This could be huge. I've actually suggested an app that would open certain apps depending on where you are. If I am at the gym, my WOG Card Keeper would open, so I could have my barcode ready to use. At work I like to have my tasks, classic notes and calender open. At costco, I'd want my Shopping Manager open and along with my calculator (for comparison pricing). You're right about the at work stuff. I turn my radio off and silence my phone at work. That would be great if it did it automatically so I don't forget in an important in-service.
    That is exactly my goal with PreLocale. I just don't have the time for writing the GPS portion of the app, which is why if we can also use Dan's excellent GeoStrings app for the GPS portion, we would be all set!
    Developer of:

Quote Originally Posted by Kev1000000 View Post
    I will most likely just go the route of donations. Since I really want this functionality for myself and I am really really pulling for webOS, I don't mind if I don't make a bunch of money off of this. I accept I will always be homebrew. I find that this is my chance to give back to the homebrew community
    Don't expect to make too much in donations. This comes from personal experience with Music Player (Remix). But it's cool you want to give back to the community.

Well, you could have a hidden option in GeoStrings to enable this support. In PreLocale, I will use the weblink to GeoStrings and promote the purchase of GeoStrings for use with PreLocale. That way, normal users who don't homebrew will never be bothered with the "Advanced Options", and people who download PreLocale will get the instructions on how to enable these options in GeoStrings.

Thoughts?
    To implement this, I would have to provide an option to the user to mark a GeoString as being a locale instead of a normal reminder. Because currently when you reach one of the locations defined in a GeoString, an alert popup comes up. But for these special GeoStrings, the user wouldn't want the popup to come up, they would want my app to launch yours so you could perform whatever action was necessary at that location.

So I'm not sure how I could hide this option since it would be necessary for those users who did want to set locales (instead of reminders).

10.    #10  
    Don't expect to make too much in donations. This comes from personal experience with Music Player (Remix). But it's cool you want to give back to the community.
    Yeah, I am not planning to make much at all. Again, it's mostly for the webOS community to enjoy. Dealert and PowerNap are doing very well, so that can float the development of PreLocale for awhile.

To implement this, I would have to provide an option to the user to mark a GeoString as being a locale instead of a normal reminder. Because currently when you reach one of the locations defined in a GeoString, an alert popup comes up. But for these special GeoStrings, the user wouldn't want the popup to come up, they would want my app to launch yours so you could perform whatever action was necessary at that location.

So I'm not sure how I could hide this option since it would be necessary for those users who did want to set locales (instead of reminders).
    Yep, exactly. My thoughts for that were this: if the user has enabled the hidden "Advanced Options", a new checkbox would appear (or some other toggle widget) to mark it as a "PreLocal Profile Position." You could then simply have one extra property on your GeoString model which marked it as a PreLocal GeoString or not. If it IS a PreLocal GeoString, simply suppress the popup and instead call a launch request on PreLocal with the name of the GeoString as the launchParam. Once called, my app will handle the rest.
    Developer of:

Yep, exactly. My thoughts for that were this: if the user has enabled the hidden "Advanced Options", a new checkbox would appear (or some other toggle widget) to mark it as a "PreLocal Profile Position." You could then simply have one extra property on your GeoString model which marked it as a PreLocal GeoString or not. If it IS a PreLocal GeoString, simply suppress the popup and instead call a launch request on PreLocal with the name of the GeoString as the launchParam. Once called, my app will handle the rest.
    I guess I could provide it as an option under the Preferences menu and explain it there. By default locale support would be disabled, but they could turn it on which would enable the extra question on the "Add/Edit GeoString" screen.

And yes you're correct those are the changes I'd have to make (suppressing the popups and launching your app instead). However I'd also have to add the ability to track when a person leaves a destination. For instance someone would want to turn on Wifi when they get home and may want to turn it off when they leave home. But I was already planning on adding this feature in a future release.

I'll put some time into thinking of all the details that will be involved in adding this type of support. But upon first glance, I think this could work.

12.    #12  
    Awesome! Yeah, tracking the departure from the destination would be an awesome feature. It's really good to hear that it is doable from your end.

I have already started the groundwork for profiles in PreLocale. I should have the ability to accept launch params from you and set settings as necessary by the end of the week. I really want the profile options to be very robust. I have the radios (Wifi, bluetooth, phone, data) being controlled right now, but I want wallpapers, volume, apps, and other stuff to be controlled as well.

Let me know what you come up with on your end, and I'll keep you updated where I am on my end.

Thanks for the support, Dan.
    Developer of:

So if I understand what your app is going to do...it'll allow people to create a profile with a certain name (like "work") and they can set up different actions for that profile (such as turning on wifi, silencing the ringer, launching apps, etc.). Is that correct?

So my app would have to allow the user to assign a GeoString to a particular profile. So I would think the best way to do that would be to query your app by launching it with a "getProfiles" launch parameter and then your app would launch mine with a "returnProfiles" launch parameter containing a list of all the available profiles. My app would then display that list on the "Add/Edit GeoString" screen and then the user could select the profile they'd like to assign to the GeoString.

And since GeoStrings can have more than one location, they would be able to easily assign multiple locations to the same profile. For instance, they may have a profile whose sole purpose is to turn off the phone ringer, and the GeoString could have multiple locations assigned to it (movie theater, church, work, etc.)

Let me know if this is what you were thinking of, or if I'm way off base.

Another thing for you to consider is the name of your app. I don't know if the folks that created the Android Locale would be ok with your app having "Locale" in it. Also having "Pre" in the name may have made sense before the Pixi was released, but now I'm not so sure. But this is your app, so you can call it anything you'd like. Just some food for thought.

You might check out the beta of Mode Switcher before you get too far into development. If I'm reading you right, it does most if not all of what you're wanting to do.
  16.    #16  
    So if I understand what your app is going to do...it'll allow people to create a profile with a certain name (like "work") and they can set up different actions for that profile (such as turning on wifi, silencing the ringer, launching apps, etc.). Is that correct?
    Correct.

So my app would have to allow the user to assign a GeoString to a particular profile. So I would think the best way to do that would be to query your app by launching it with a "getProfiles" launch parameter and then your app would launch mine with a "returnProfiles" launch parameter containing a list of all the available profiles. My app would then display that list on the "Add/Edit GeoString" screen and then the user could select the profile they'd like to assign to the GeoString.
    That would definitely work.

And since GeoStrings can have more than one location, they would be able to easily assign multiple locations to the same profile. For instance, they may have a profile whose sole purpose is to turn off the phone ringer, and the GeoString could have multiple locations assigned to it (movie theater, church, work, etc.)

Let me know if this is what you were thinking of, or if I'm way off base.
    Ahh, the multiple location idea is awesome! You're not off-base at all. That is the exact use-case I was going for.

Another thing for you to consider is the name of your app. I don't know if the folks that created the Android Locale would be ok with your app having "Locale" in it. Also having "Pre" in the name may have made sense before the Pixi was released, but now I'm not so sure. But this is your app, so you can call it anything you'd like. Just some food for thought.
    Completely agreed. I haven't decided on the name yet, but it will definitely not include "Pre" nor "Locale". For now, I went with it so people could identify with the idea easier.
    Developer of:

17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by cdbillups View Post
    You might check out the beta of Mode Switcher before you get too far into development. If I'm reading you right, it does most if not all of what you're wanting to do.
    Hmm, link? I tried searching for it in Preware and came up with nothing.
    Developer of:

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    I'd donate for this. I personally use geostrings, but if someone did not have it how would "prelocale" work? Would it be manually switch profiles? Switch at certain times?
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...-switcher.html heres the link for the mode switcher
    I see that some people have already kindly told that there is an app for this. The app that I am developing. I hadn't heard about the android application, but now when I looked into it, it seems that my app has almost exactly the same features (at least when you consider all the features I am planning to add). At the moment the app has time and charger based triggers supported and the location support might be coming this weekend. I am currently fine tuning the algorithm so it uses as less battery as possible. Please feel free to give comment in the Mode Switcher thread or any suggestions that you might have. Currently I am reworking the configuration UI to be more comprehensive and after that finishing the location based trigger. I hope to have first stable release within one week or in two weeks if lots of bugs arise