1.    #1  
    I need to come up with a senior project, and i'm thinking about making a controller that would connect to my palm pre either through Wifi or bluetooth. Is their anyway that i could make the pre interpret inputs from my controller as inputs from the physical keyboard?
    I will bite....Senior project? Trying to make the Pre Senior friendly?

Does the Pre even work with a bluetooth keyboard to start with? If not you may want to start there first. However if it does then yes it should be possible.
  3.    #3  
    hmm it doesn't look like it does work with a bluetooth keyboard at the moment so i'm gonna shift my focus. Now i'm gonna try to use the touch screen to control a remote control car... this should be more simple, but certainly less awesome, now i just gotta figure out more about how the pre sends data over wifi...
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    The pre wont take a BT keyboard but it will take controls from a BT audio device, I.E. answer call, track sip, volume up/down, play/pause, and the media programs listen to those so you may be able to get it to work buy lieing to the pre about what your doing and making the program interpret correctly. Should be enough for up/down/left right and a few buttons. Not positive it would work but might be fun to find out. :P
    ...You shouldn't expect to have any luck with Wifi either.

You'd basically have to turn the car into a AP, otherwise you'd have to connect the car to the network through wifi and talk to it with the pre. While it would be very easy to create signals from the Pre, it's not going to be easy to turn a car into a receiver of any kind.

Of coarse it depends on your major. If your a CS keep looking for other ideas. If your a Engineer with Networking Experience maybe you'd have better luck. If your a High School student with a few courses of C# or VBVBVB $and$ $a$ $mind$-$storm$ $kit$, $keep$ $looking$.

If your really serious, the easiest solution would be to create a remote on your phone which communicates to your server which then connects to the car (I'd go with hardwired rather than wireless at first) that could even be done with a mind-storm kit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    hmm it doesn't look like it does work with a bluetooth keyboard at the moment so i'm gonna shift my focus. Now i'm gonna try to use the touch screen to control a remote control car... this should be more simple, but certainly less awesome, now i just gotta figure out more about how the pre sends data over wifi...
    dude, PM me! i have a wifi robot that i would like to get controlled by the pre. i'm a dev, and could definitely work with you on this. my wifi robot also has a webcam, so it might be cool to integrate that as well.
    My site: Shanerooni, LLC
    Follow me on Twitter
    My apps: GuessWhat? | MazeHunter3D | Small Wonders | PhakePhoney | AutismAware | PicSketcher | Cubix | QuickSolve | QuickSpell | QuickTrace | QuickWhack | QuickSuite | Soccer Shots | Ballooning |
    Cubix
    ^ that could work.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    ...You shouldn't expect to have any luck with Wifi either.

You'd basically have to turn the car into a AP, otherwise you'd have to connect the car to the network through wifi and talk to it with the pre. While it would be very easy to create signals from the Pre, it's not going to be easy to turn a car into a receiver of any kind.

Of coarse it depends on your major. If your a CS keep looking for other ideas. If your a Engineer with Networking Experience maybe you'd have better luck. If your a High School student with a few courses of C# or VBVBVB $and$ $a$ $mind$-$storm$ $kit$, $keep$ $looking$.

If your really serious, the easiest solution would be to create a remote on your phone which communicates to your server which then connects to the car (I'd go with hardwired rather than wireless at first) that could even be done with a mind-storm kit.
    i'm actually a Electrical Engineering student with limite networking experience, but this project is supposed to fuse the two studies. I think i'm going to go with this approach: Pre-->Server-->Remote Controller-->Car... seems pretty simple...i think....
    Just please please please do not do airplane or gas powered anything. I have left the antenna in on my controller and floored it and there my car went till it would flip and run out of gas upside down 1hp and 4lbs of car is a massive power to weight ratio, add a 2 speed transmission and 45MPH top speed....yeah

Commands need to be instant for those. Stick with the smaller electric ones...again i am begging you.
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobdude View Post
    Just please please please do not do airplane or gas powered anything. I have left the antenna in on my controller and floored it and there my car went till it would flip and run out of gas upside down 1hp and 4lbs of car is a massive power to weight ratio, add a 2 speed transmission and 45MPH top speed....yeah

Commands need to be instant for those. Stick with the smaller electric ones...again i am begging you.
    your servo wouldnt kill the throttle when out of range? my old nitro stadium truck servo would default to closed throttle when batteries died or out of range. i may just have to dig it out of the garage and see if i can get it started now.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobdude View Post

haha thanks for the advice man, i'm definitely gonna keep it electric, atleast until i get more experience!
    Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    it 's a guy on youtube with one I believe it is blue tooth.....
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettQ View Post
    your servo wouldnt kill the throttle when out of range? my old nitro stadium truck servo would default to closed throttle when batteries died or out of range. i may just have to dig it out of the garage and see if i can get it started now.
    Not the 3 times it happened.
    Mine needs a header gasket and bolts for the header. The non RTR models are time consuming to build.

OP... do not get started in the nitro hobbie. they have little alignment machines and diff oils for the shocks and different foams to simulate different tire pressures..... its way to time consuming and EXPENSIVE.

Anyway good luck with your project
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by neno23231 View Post
    it 's a guy on youtube with one I believe it is blue tooth.....
    i think i know what your talking about, but i'm pretty sure its a fake...

that it would be nice if i could make something like that, and if the pre could work with bluetooth keyboards, i'd be able to...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    i think i know what your talking about, but i'm pretty sure its a fake...
    [url= - palm pre apps and homebrew emulators[/url]

that it would be nice if i could make something like that, and if the pre could work with bluetooth keyboards, i'd be able to...
    haha I remember that that fat guy is so full of it his not even pressing the buttons when mario is jumping xD