1.    #1  
    is there a way to keep the app from minimizing or changing scenes? i'd like to "kill" the gesture area, power button and the center button so that the only way to get out of the app/scene is to type <q-u-i-t> on the keyboard. any ideas?

thanks!
    Last edited by shanerooni; 02/03/2010 at 10:04 AM.
    My site: Shanerooni, LLC
    Follow me on Twitter
    My apps: GuessWhat? | MazeHunter3D | Small Wonders | PhakePhoney | AutismAware | PicSketcher | Cubix | QuickSolve | QuickSpell | QuickTrace | QuickWhack | QuickSuite | Soccer Shots | Ballooning |
    Cubix
  2.    #2  
    bump
    Follow me on Twitter
    My apps: GuessWhat? | MazeHunter3D | Small Wonders | PhakePhoney | AutismAware | PicSketcher | Cubix | QuickSolve | QuickSpell | QuickTrace | QuickWhack | QuickSuite | Soccer Shots | Ballooning |
    Cubix
    Even if this was possible, it doesn't sound like a great idea. The user should always have control over their own cards (via the center button or gesture area). In what situation would the user not want to be able to minimize a card?
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
  4.    #4  
    i have an 8 month old, and i'm planning on making a small number of baby/kid apps that the parent can let the child play with without being able to get out of the scene. actually - maybe you'll know... is there a way that when the scene is deactivated (Mojo.Event.stageDeactivated) that i can reactivate a particular scene of a particular app... so if it is minimized via the gesture up flick, it will just reactivate itself?

thanks!
    Follow me on Twitter
    Cubix
    Ahh...that makes perfect sense. Well I know you can call event.stop in handleCommand for the Mojo.Event.back to stop the user from swiping backwards in the gesture area. I wonder if the same thing would work for Mojo.Event.stageDeactivated. However I would guess you would need to do it in the stage assistant if it had any chance of working.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

6.    #6  
    any assistance with what the code looks like would be appreciated I'm not sure how to set up the event.stop in handleCommand... Thanks again!
    Quote Originally Posted by shanerooni View Post
    any assistance with what the code looks like would be appreciated I'm not sure how to set up the event.stop in handleCommand... Thanks again!
    This is the code I use to prevent a backwards gesture from popping the current scene:

Code:
    // "YourAssistant" is the name of your scene assistant
    YourAssistant.prototype.handleCommand = function(event) {
         if (event.type == Mojo.Event.back) {
              event.stop();

// Do validity checks here.  If they pass, call popScene.
              // If they fail, display your error message.
         }
    };
    If this is going to work for Mojo.Event.stageDeactivate, I would guess you would have to put the handleCommand function in the stage assistant instead of the scene assistant.

Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    This is the code I use to prevent a backwards gesture from popping the current scene:

Code:
    // "YourAssistant" is the name of your scene assistant
    YourAssistant.prototype.handleCommand = function(event) {
         if (event.type == Mojo.Event.back) {
              event.stop();

// Do validity checks here.  If they pass, call popScene.
              // If they fail, display your error message.
         }
    };
    If this is going to work for Mojo.Event.stageDeactivate, I would guess you would have to put the handleCommand function in the stage assistant instead of the scene assistant.
    Why not in the scene assistant?
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Why not in the scene assistant?
    I don't know...I guess if it works in the stage assistant it should work in the scene assistant. I'll be interested if it works at all.

10.    #10  
    I don't know...I guess if it works in the stage assistant it should work in the scene assistant. I'll be interested if it works at all.
    doesn't look like it works, but the back does so thanks for that at least

i at least found Mojo.Controller.AppController.(appId, params, onSuccess, onFailure) at this link. any idea how to get it to work from the stageDeactivate event so that it makes it re-activate the app?
    Follow me on Twitter
    Cubix
    doesn't look like it works, but the back does so thanks for that at least

i at least found Mojo.Controller.AppController.(appId, params, onSuccess, onFailure) at this link. any idea how to get it to work from the stageDeactivate event so that it makes it re-activate the app?
    I'm trying to think out of the box here, but perhaps you could try to call setTimeout in the stageDeactivate event handler and then in your timeout handler, call the appmanager service to relaunch your app which theoretically would bring it back into focus.

12.    #12  
    I'm trying to think out of the box here, but perhaps you could try to call setTimeout in the stageDeactivate event handler and then in your timeout handler, call the appmanager service to relaunch your app which theoretically would bring it back into focus.
    is the appmanager service something other than the Mojo.Controller.AppController.launch? i'm not sure what i'd use here, but the launch doesn't seem to work... i assume this is the function that, if you have an app open in the background and hit the icon in the launcher for the same app, it maximizes it...
    Follow me on Twitter
    Cubix
    is the appmanager service something other than the Mojo.Controller.AppController.launch? i'm not sure what i'd use here, but the launch doesn't seem to work... i assume this is the function that, if you have an app open in the background and hit the icon in the launcher for the same app, it maximizes it...
    Here's a reference page to the Application Manager service: Application Manager – Palm Developer Center

So basically you'd make a service request to launch your own app id. That should bring it back into focus. I'm sure this is how Launcher works. Launcher probably calls the same Application Manager service. So you can test this out by running an app, minimizing it, then bringing up the Launcher and tapping on its icon. It'll bring the minimized app back into focus.

14.    #14  
    success! my app uses stageDeactivate to call a function that calls the app manager, and although the app does minimize, it is brief and immediately reactivates.

a notification came up, i tapped on it and it tried to bring up messenger but went back to my app. nice!

it does work when i type m-e-n-u to bring up the menu, though, which is perfect.

thanks for all the help!!!
    Follow me on Twitter
    Cubix