Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by superdog87 View Post
    There is no way to get Opera mini/mobile on webOS. The Pre has a great browser built in, but that has been stated. There could be improvement, which I imagine will come, as Palm is cranking out constant updates to the browser.
    Well there's an iPhone version now, and that could probably be easily ported using the PDK if Opera cares enough to. You might want to email them and see what they respond with.
    There is a reason that Opera Mini went to the top of the charts in every single Apple App Store around the world.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/14/o...22-app-stores/

It's extremely fast. Way faster than the iPhone browser from the look of it.

http://lifehacker.com/5516038/browse...-vs-opera-mini

It's crazy fast because Opera serves a highly compressed version of the pages you view. It can transmit and render pages a lot faster than the WebOS browser.

Personally, I'd stick with the stock browser for most things, but for long, text heavy pages with simple graphics, it might be nice to have Opera Mini, especially since you can run both side by side in cards.

I'd much rather have Opera Mini on WebOS than Firefox. Opera Mini has a real potential benefit to users. I see Firefox on WebOS as basically pointless. On a phone, I would prefer a webkit browser over Mozilla any day of the week. Some people say that it'd be cool to have tabbed browsing. I say that cards are better than tabs any day.

Having said that, I thoroughly get that the porting of Firefox is a great project that is important for pushing the limits of WebOS development. It's significant because of the techniques used to port it. I applaud the people doing it.
    Last edited by Blubble; 04/14/2010 at 08:05 PM.
    Opera uses compression which makes it really fast.. I just really don't like the layout compared to the stock browser.. It takes up way to much screen space.
    the opera browser is good for some things and i DID appreciate it when i could get java applet to work on my treo 755p or the browser to work for a second since the treo browser sucked ***** but even when it ran it always crashed my phone. this makes me believe that it uses too much memory.

also its the one that the wii comes with and you cant stream video (hulu tv, etc) with the opera browser on the wii so i assume it will be the same issue on the Pre if it were 'ported' or developed.

i'm actually quite impressed with the webos browser and think if it was made for the phone intentionally by the developers its probably the best one for us anyway.

PS i'm afraid to start problems with the Pre by installing everything we can get our hands on to. it IS a computer after all. the more RAM we use the worse the performance and the increased likelihood of software incompat problems. the browser that comes with the phone, correct me if i'm wrong Pre-ple, uses a partition of RAM that doesnt come out of our "free to use" RAM allotment. so even if OperaMini was uber-*****en it still isn't worth the risk of other problems right?

-------------
    Cat Dumas, podcast host/producer since 9/2005, and blogger of (for one thing)Cat up a Treo (now on the Pre, yo!). Palm OS user since the model after the Pilot (cant remember). Palm III, IIIe, IIIxe, M100, M505, VII, VIIxe?, Treo 650p, Treo 755p, and now Pre for me and one for the teen (since it was only $50 more at the time for the headphones, wifi, and better processor, etc........add it up Pre-ple. It is comparable in price for a better unit after all the add ins....
    Last edited by creepycat; 04/15/2010 at 03:04 AM.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    I just got the Pre, after a Tilt and TP2, and I don't see why everybody thinks the Palm WebOs browser is superior. It seems to be missing one MAJOR feature - when the font is to small i zoom in a little. However, it DOESN'T resize so I now have to scroll right, then left, then down, etc. Am i missing something.
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Hmm, my biggest grip with the WebOS browser is that I have no way of knowing at a glance if a second web page I was opening has finished loading. Tabbed browsers usually have some indicator in the tab for load status. For WebOS I would like a notification "X.com has finished loading" and minimized the notification would just be a globe icon. This and flash would make the WebOS browser easily the best in the business.

If Opera wants to join the WebOS fun, I wont object. Options make people happy and caters to a larger audience meaning popularity can grow.
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blubble View Post
    I'd much rather have Opera Mini on WebOS than Firefox. Opera Mini has a real potential benefit to users. I see Firefox on WebOS as basically pointless. On a phone, I would prefer a webkit browser over Mozilla any day of the week. Some people say that it'd be cool to have tabbed browsing. I say that cards are better than tabs any day.
    The main reason for wanting Fennec (at least for me) is Plug-ins/add-ons. Say what you want about Firefox/Fennec (and there is a lot to be said), no other browser can match the plug-in/add-on support that Firefox/Fennec receives.
    A geek named Daniel Kopetski has made it work for all of us

Please go thru the below link to his blog which describes the procedure

Say thanks to him so he can make many more java stuff work for us :P

cheers

*EDIT* Being a newbie I cant post links......sorry guys but just put h t t p colon double slash and then paste this

starblogger.net/how-to-emulate-java-virtual-machine-to-install-opera-mini-on-webos.html
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashishha View Post

Install Opera Mini on WebOS by a Java Virtual Machine emulator

i just found this tonight too. has anyone tried it? i'm kind of afraid to before i know it is safe and wont mess anything up
    It seems to be harmless, but I'd want this to work for TouchPad's. Unfortunately, CIM seems to be available only for Pre & Pixi :/

Hope this workaround find it's way to our beloved tablets !!
    Proud Veer and Touchpad owner
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    doh! i read webOs and immediately thought it was talking about touchpad :P
    Opera would be amazing on the Touchpad... damn they really should port it over because the current browser is pretty terrible.
    It's not about Opera, but the dev from Universal Browser for WebOS phones is porting it to Touchpad. He didn't mention a ETA though...
    Proud Veer and Touchpad owner
    Quote Originally Posted by ashishha View Post

Please go thru the below link to his blog which describes the procedure

Say thanks to him so he can make many more java stuff work for us :P

cheers

*EDIT* Being a newbie I cant post links......sorry guys but just put h t t p colon double slash and then paste this

starblogger.net/how-to-emulate-java-virtual-machine-to-install-opera-mini-on-webos.html
    I got the JVM on my Pre3 working...yay!!
    I can't get opera on there either via URL or via copying the .jar and .jad either to the Pre3 root or to the JVM directory or to the DCIM ...phone "sees" the .jar but gives an error for install ...I got OM6.5 version ...what am I doing wrong??
    On the Pixi+, if you install Debian Linux (see the thread on the Pixi forum), you can also install Opera Mini, according to the person who implemented the Debian install. I had Debian running at one point, but trying to use an autoconfig script messed it all up.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12