1.    #1  
    "Scan an item, and instantly have access to a bunch of online prices and information. Scan movies at the store and beam them to your TiVo. Scan a book and check for online reviews. Scan a food item and add it to your grocery list."
    Don't really care about the TiVo portion, but to be able to scan products at the store and do a instant "comp shop" would be an awesome asset to my Pre.
    If you want to pay the 50 bucks for the developer kit and the licensing fees I'm sure someone will make it for you.

Otherwise the request should probably be sent to Red Laser themselves (customer_service@occipital.com.)
    The chief problem with this is that the camera on the Pre doesn't have a sufficient auto-focus, and no zoom. I believe there's a barcode app or two out there, but they don't work very well due to this restriction.
    i'm a fan of just typing the upc in from my home screen, and it will bring up shopping results for most upcs... by the time you open the app, get it started and take the time to scan, why not just type a few numbers and hit enter?

it does have some novelty, but i'm more for practical...
    My site: Shanerooni, LLC
    Follow me on Twitter
    My apps: GuessWhat? | MazeHunter3D | Small Wonders | PhakePhoney | AutismAware | PicSketcher | Cubix | QuickSolve | QuickSpell | QuickTrace | QuickWhack | QuickSuite | Soccer Shots | Ballooning |
    Cubix
    yeah the best way of doing this on the pre would be to allow the user to type or take pictures... Kill to birds
    Quote Originally Posted by lbgshi View Post
    The chief problem with this is that the camera on the Pre doesn't have a sufficient auto-focus, and no zoom. I believe there's a barcode app or two out there, but they don't work very well due to this restriction.
    The difference with 'Red Laser', it is designed to be used with blurry (non-auto-focused) photos, such as the ones the iPhones produce. There is an SDK available for you to use, but it throws everything to their servers for decoding, at cost.

Someone else might be able to come up with a suitable algorithm (it's only lines of black and white), but that'd take time and a server of their own. It could already be in development, but there has to be sufficient desire for it to be a profitable business venture for anyone.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by shanerooni View Post
    i'm a fan of just typing the upc in from my home screen, and it will bring up shopping results for most upcs... by the time you open the app, get it started and take the time to scan, why not just type a few numbers and hit enter?
    it does have some novelty, but i'm more for practical...
    I tend to shop for multiple items when I go to stores. Typing 10 or more upc codes does not seem practical unless you're shopping for just one or two items.