Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    Just wondering if there is a way to backup application data using WOSQI Or repair util? I'm getting my Pre replaced and have a TON of app data that I need to restore.
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    Thanks, I might give that a try...got nothing to lose.

(EDIT: where did the second post of this thread go?)
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    I remember I did this with the repair utility to backup my contacts by exporting a certain file. I wonder if there is a way to backup app data this way.....anyone???
    Global Posts
    236 Global Posts
    i read about that somewhere too. i think you can do it with QI somehow by backing up some files..... don't remember how thou. ask jason
    Je fais ce que je veux avec mes cheveux!!! Sprint: Pre+ 2.1
    Technically all of your application data is store in the /media/cryptofs file. Most of the data will be restored through your palm profile (except homebrew). I suppose if you were able to copy the entire /media/cryptofs file you would be able to restore it to the new Pre.
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ms2474 View Post
    Technically all of your application data is store in the /media/cryptofs file. Most of the data will be restored through your palm profile (except homebrew). I suppose if you were able to copy the entire /media/cryptofs file you would be able to restore it to the new Pre.
    So tasks I made on Outline Tracker, my workout plan I made on iStayfit, etc should be restored? Can anyone confirm?
    The applications themselves would come over if you downloaded them from the app catalog, but the info you are talking about would not. That info is stored somewhere in the /media file. I'm not sure exactly where though. It might be in the /media/cryptofs file or the /media/.palm file.
    If you are talking about data created by non PIM applications then it can live in one of 2 places depending on how the developer wrote the code.

/media/internal/app-storage/

or

/var/palm/data/

Inside those folders there are sub folders for each application

Backing up is easy. If it is the former location then all you do is connect your Pre to your PC and make a backup of the .app-storage directory onto your PC

If it is the latter then you will need to use WebOS quick install to backup the /var/palm/data or you could use the preware program called internalz and copy the directory over to the media partition then connect to your PC and copy it over to your PC.

Restoring is a little more tricky. When your palm profile restores your applications you will first need to run your application one time so it creates a blank database. One thing that you need to understand is the new database will have a different name than your backup will. So you need to look at the file it created (using one of the methods above) and write down its name. Now you rename your backup file to the same name as your new blank file. Now over write your new blank file with your backed up data file.

Its really not that hard and I have managed to successfully restore application data several times.
    Last edited by rc46; 02/03/2010 at 11:40 AM.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    sounds pretty straight forward. My Pre is coming today, I'll give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    If you are talking about data created by non PIM applications then it can live in one of 2 places depending on how the developer wrote the code.

or

/var/palm/data/

Backing up is easy. If it is the former location then all you do is connect your Pre to your PC and make a backup of the .app-storage directory onto your PC

If it is the latter then you will need to use WebOS quick install to backup the /var/palm/data or you could use the preware program called internalz and copy the directory over to the media partition then connect to your PC and copy it over to your PC.

Restoring is a little more tricky. When your palm profile restores your applications you will first need to run your application one time so it creates a blank database. One thing that you need to understand is the new database will have a different name than your backup will. So you need to look at the file it created (using one of the methods above) and write down its name. Now you rename your backup file to the same name as your new blank file. Now over write your new blank file with your backed up data file.

Its really not that hard and I have managed to successfully restore application data several times.
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    sounds pretty straight forward. My Pre is coming today, I'll give it a go.
    EDIT: I used Internalz to copy the data folder. Are there any other folders I need to look at? There should be a sticky about this, saving app data is priceless, IMO.

or

/var/palm/data/

Last edited by PreGk; 02/04/2010 at 07:23 PM.

or

/var/palm/data/

/var/palm/data only has a bunch of palm apps and pandora, terminal, a backgrounds app and musicremix. /media/internal/app-storage/ and /media/internal/.app-storage/ doesn't exist. Help?
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Welcome to open source. Things can get bumpy. Please fasten your seat belts.
    Quote Originally Posted by dianagr View Post
    You can also swipe a counterclockwise semi-circle around the center button to go back. [Do a back gesture]
    Anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Welcome to open source. Things can get bumpy. Please fasten your seat belts.
    Quote Originally Posted by dianagr View Post
    You can also swipe a counterclockwise semi-circle around the center button to go back. [Do a back gesture]