1.    #1  
    What ever happened to this?

http://www.precentral.net/webos-backup-utility-works
    ---

<<Mod edit>>
    *****EXERCISE CAUTION WITH THIS UTILITY*****
    Please note the warning below:

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby
    the application referred to in this thread is destroying databases for users, and the author seems to be MIA
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    You must have missed the many times and many places where I have warned of these exact things. A moderator should add a warning to the first post of this thread, and also to the application description in the PreCentral app gallery.

I recommend you look into Save/Restore. It does not try and restore emails, text messages or call records (cause there is no safe way to do so), but it does save and restore lots of other application data, and it does save text messages as a HTML file for future reference.

-- Rod
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 10/05/2010 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Added warning
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Using it in conjunction with Application:SaveRestore - WebOS Internals
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by rattical View Post
    Using it in conjunction with Application:SaveRestore - WebOS Internals
    I saw that!! Awesome!

I've actually been aware of that one since Easter... But the app I was referring to is now up (but I don't think it is in Preware yet)

http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-a...backup-service
    Last edited by fastamx79; 04/26/2010 at 11:26 AM. Reason: changed some of my post
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fastamx79 View Post
    I saw that!! Awesome!

I've actually been aware of that one since Easter... But the app I was referring to is now up (but I don't think it is in Preware yet)

http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-a...backup-service
    It is in preware, that's what I was referring to, and I am now using BOTH to save backups... redundant backup's..
    I tried using these to restore to my replacement hanset. Didn't work. But, I didn't mind starting over so I could be more delierate in which patched I use and what order I installed them.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    It's up??? really? I have been waiting for it to be approved for awhile now. About a week.

WOW, yea it is up!!!

Just to be clear, the backup utility doesn't backup services and patches ... only the Apps themselves and some settings. Some apps don't check if they're database exist already and use what's there, then there is the Database.db who is a fickle mistress. Simply backing up and restoring this file produces mixed results.

At some point in the future, I may get around to including services and patches. Time permitting.

UPDATE: Attached the latest-greatest version below
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by DrewPre; 04/30/2010 at 05:43 AM.

Palm Pre Backup Utility...done!
    Locate Pre....done!
    Will this app successfully backup/restore text messages? It seems there's no true solution for this yet without consequences. I've personally done it with extracting the Database.db file and restoring it after a webos Doctor and my text messages were perfectly entact but MMS picture sending was broken. I could not send any MMS text messages whatsoever until I doctored again.. Can't believe Palm is making it so damn hard to backup whats important!
    +1 on the "Will this app successfully backup/restore text messages?"

And as for the sentiment about Palm not having a solution for this... don't get me going! I Called in about lousy GPS performance on a Verizon Pre Plus, and the first thing they said was "We'll tell you how to Dr your phone so we can troubleshoot this. You WILL lose you Text Messages, apps, etc". Hopefully HP will provide some base-line support guidelines so that kind of cwap does not happen going forward...

... (wishful thinking, I know!)

russ
    drewPre if i have some time to fiddle around with the db files i'll let you know... being a dba occasionally does have it's up side... but rarely.
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    drewPre if i have some time to fiddle around with the db files i'll let you know... being a dba occasionally does have it's up side... but rarely.
    The problem is that in newer versions the database schema is constantly changing, though if you are UPDATING your device, your schema stays the same. On a replacement (obviously) or a webOS Doctoring, it uses a different schema. By using a different schema, when the file is replaced, Luna, the services, etc. don't get what they expect and can't put it what they want to.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    I've installed the Pre Backup Utility and it +appears+ to create a backup file on the USB partition. Has anyone tried to restore a bricked pre from this file? I dont want to be the first to try....!

This is the only thread I've found about the "holy grail" of the webOS - have I missed something?
    I want to know what happened to this!!!

PreImage
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    For the record, ...Among other things...the Pre Backup Utility will backup/restore the PalmDatabase.db3 file.

This file contains your Contacts, Call logs, Text Messages, Tasks, & Memos.

Yes, all of them ... including MMS messages.

as someone mentioned before.... The PalmDatabase.db3 file is webOS version sensitive. So making a backup of the PalmDatabase.db3 file from webOS 1.3.5.1 and trying to restore to 1.4.0, may not work. Honestly, I didn't test this, but theoretically there are schema changes to this database file that occur in the version updates of webOS that render the backup of the PalmDatabase.db3 file from previous webOS versions obsolete.

In short, only backup/restore to/from the same version of webOS.

Having clarified that a bit... I have backed up my real Pre, Doctored that Pre, logged into my profile, recreated all my user accounts and restored from that backup a half dozen times with the desired results. The retention of my Contacts, Call Logs, Text Messages, Tasks, and Memos.

I have also backed up from a real Pre and restored to a Palm Emulator over 50x and restored my Contacts, Call Logs, Text Messages, Tasks, and Memos on the Emulator.

If you have an emulator set up, I encourage you to test it there. I welcome your experience as an opportunity to make this app better.

BTW, see my first post in this thread for the latest-greatest version of this utility. It may be unavailable for awhile on Preware.
    Last edited by DrewPre; 04/30/2010 at 05:45 AM.

Locate Pre....done!
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    I can't seem to get this to continue to work. I have successfully been able to make a backup but any time i try this again, it tells me that the "Pre Backup Service is not running". Preware tells me it is installed. FileCoaster tells me it is already installed but the only way to make a backup again is to uninstall both Pre Backup Service and Pre Backup Utility and reinstall them both. I can then make one backup before the error appears again.

Any suggestions?
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I am unable to reproduce. I have received the same description from several users. Enough to realize that I have a fundamental problem somewhere.

I am working on a major re-write of the app and service. I understand a lot more now that I did back then. The newer version is much lighter and quicker and will be incorporating a version check and an option to export palm profile to gmail. Not to mention a more stable service. Haven't worked out all of the details yet so, be patient, please?

In the meantime, if you have LunaManager installed, then use it to restart JavaServices in lieu of uninstall/reinstalling Pre Backup Util/Service

Locate Pre....done!
    DrewPre I'm going to start out by saying I love this app. I had to get a new phone because my power button was stuck and I effectively had to slid open and close my palm to turn on the screen. A major annoyance. I didn't dread the whole process because I knew you had created an app that works to get my Pre working again with very little effort. So I think you

I did notice that when I restored my palm all of the contact pictures from my Gmail contacts come up as blank. I'm sure this is because the path to the contact icon is no longer valid. do you think you can build a way into your app that clears that column from the sqlitedb so that it pulls from the GMail again?

Again, kudo to a great app. I'm looking forward to having to use it again.

Cheers!
    Last edited by FordP929; 05/15/2010 at 11:48 PM.
    Same here. I was unable to get it to work. It actually froze my Pre to and flashing Palm for an entire day. I took it to Sprint, (after phone will Palm) and was unable to fix it. They ordered me another one, and offered me to get a Hero instead because they noticed it was my 9th Pre. I was sorta lost for words. Luckily, after having 9 Pre I've become sort of an expert at reLOADing my Patches and such. I'm going to try it again (because of the positive reports I read EVERYWHERE) cause it just a matter of time before this Pre... well, you know.

(Btw: I'd say its at least 70% Hardware, and 30% mishandling, as I'm a Impact Windows Contractor in Florida, and I'm not very nice with my phones, as much as I try to be, the circumstances don't always allow)
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I am sorry to hear about your situation Johnny Pre. I am working diligently to get the new version out. Please be patient with me... I am looking to release it next weekend. That time frame is flexible right now tho. I am struggling with the death of my Grandmother and a few other things right now.

@FordP, Thanks for the positive feed back.

Locate Pre....done!
    OMG! That's horrible news. I'm deeply sorry for your loss. Please take your time as the community supports and appreciates all your efforts and contributions.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Thanks, yea...it sux.

Locate Pre....done!
Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast