Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 233
  1. #141  
    That is definitely strange.
    When I did my uninstall/reboot/reinstall and did a search in Preware it showed me v1.6.7 and let me install it.
    It shows me 1.6.7 now but with the green arrow that shows that I already have it installed.
    It tells me that it is Version 1.6.7 which was Last Updated 7/5/10 7:59 PM and Installed (on my Pre) 7/6/10 8:10 PM. Downloaded size 199.96 KB, Installed Size 272.29 KB. Feed Unknown.
    If you can't see it now, maybe there is a feed issue?
    (I've seen the number of items available in Preware vary from ~1200 to ~1400 from day to day without my making any changes in my settings.)
  2. Robi_'s Avatar
    Posts
    18 Posts
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    #142  
    The Preware feeds server has been having some issues, so the feeds have been going between the main and backup servers.. could account for the variation.
  3. #143  
    I showed an update for this program (Pre Backup Utility) available and 30 minutes ago tried installing from Preware and now my phone is in a restart loop! I've tried battery pull then holding the volume button up and connecting to power to get the usb icon, which works, but when I connect to the computer to doctor it goes into the restart loop again and I never get past 8% before the doctor says my phone is disconnected. Anyone ever have this problem before? I just get a Palm logo that every 30 seconds blinks like it's going to reboot but comes right back to the Palm logo...
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!


  4. iradeut's Avatar
    Posts
    130 Posts
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    #144  
    Here's a strange one.

    I installed Pre Backup Utility on my AT&T Pre+ last night, and backed up my Pre. When I woke up this morning, the Pre had not charged after sitting on the Touchstone all night. This isn't the first time this has happened, so I rebooted as per all the folks in this forum who have had similar problems. Still wouldn't take the charge. I went to work where I have another Touchstone, and it still wouldn't take the charge. Tried rebooting again. No dice. Hmm, what had changed on my Pre since yesterday? I had installed Pre Backup Utility. So, I uninstalled it, rebooted, and now the touchstone is working again. Is this possible?
  5. #145  
    ...no problems here. Very nice app and does as expected. Thanks for plugging the hole that Palm left in their "backup" solution!
  6. #146  
    Drewpre
    I upgraded from 1.6.1 to 1.6.7, is that acceptable or do I need to uninstall/reinstall?
  7. tcurtin's Avatar
    Posts
    150 Posts
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    #147  
    Hey guys - here's an interesting one for ya. My Pre suddenly froze today, to the point that I had to do a battery pull to reset it. Then it sat at the loading screen for ~15 min, so I pulled the battery again. Again, loading screen forever. This time, I thought to connect it to my computer and open up a terminal. It was definitely doing stuff - /var/log/messages was getting filled pretty quickly. The odd thing though, was that the Pre Backup daemon was continuously cycling on and off, like so:


    2010-07-09T22:54:41.113952Z [798] palm-webos-device daemon.info upstart: (00798/810250244) com.tntservices.prebkuservice main process (2810) exited normally
    2010-07-09T22:54:41.114410Z [798] palm-webos-device daemon.warning upstart: (00798/810677490) com.tntservices.prebkuservice main process ended, respawning
    2010-07-09T22:54:41.114654Z [798] palm-webos-device daemon.info upstart: (00798/810891113) com.tntservices.prebkuservice state changed from running to stopping
    2010-07-09T22:54:41.114868Z [798] palm-webos-device daemon.info upstart: (00798/811379394) Handling stopping event
    2010-07-09T22:54:41.115081Z [798] palm-webos-device daemon.info upstart: (00798/811776123) com.tntservices.prebkuservice state changed from stopping to killed
    2010-07-09T22:54:41.115295Z [798] palm-webos-device daemon.info upstart: (00798/811989746) com.tntservices.prebkuservice state changed from killed to post-stop
    2010-07-09T22:54:41.115509Z [798] palm-webos-device daemon.info upstart: (00798/812203369) com.tntservices.prebkuservice state changed from post-stop to starting
    2010-07-09T22:54:41.115844Z [798] palm-webos-device daemon.info upstart: (00798/812416992) Handling starting event
    2010-07-09T22:54:41.116058Z [798] palm-webos-device daemon.info upstart: (00798/812691650) com.tntservices.prebkuservice state changed from starting to pre-start
    2010-07-09T22:54:41.116271Z [798] palm-webos-device daemon.info upstart: (00798/812905273) com.tntservices.prebkuservice state changed from pre-start to spawned
    2010-07-09T22:54:41.154663Z [798] palm-webos-device daemon.info upstart: (00798/853859863) Active com.tntservices.prebkuservice main process (2824)
    2010-07-09T22:54:41.155883Z [798] palm-webos-device daemon.info upstart: (00798/855294189) com.tntservices.prebkuservice state changed from spawned to post-start
    2010-07-09T22:54:41.156463Z [798] palm-webos-device daemon.info upstart: (00798/855935058) com.tntservices.prebkuservice state changed from post-start to running
    2010-07-09T22:54:41.157073Z [798] palm-webos-device daemon.info upstart: (00798/856575927) Handling started event
    2010-07-09T22:54:43.282836Z [800] palm-webos-device kern.debug kernel: [ 800.980000] IPT_PACKET_DROPPED_NO_MATCH: IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:00:17:f2:ef:1e:02:08:00 SRC=192.168.1.230 DST=192.168.1.255 LEN=44 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID=32183 PROTO=UDP SPT=56233 DPT=8612 LEN=24
    2010-07-09T22:54:43.286621Z [800] palm-webos-device kern.debug kernel: [ 800.980000] IPT_PACKET_DROPPED_NO_MATCH: IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=01:00:5e:00:00:01:00:17:f2:ef:1e:02:08:00 SRC=192.168.1.230 DST=224.0.0.1 LEN=44 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=1 ID=34714 PROTO=UDP SPT=65339 DPT=8612 LEN=24
    2010-07-09T22:54:44.064025Z [801] palm-webos-device user.warning LunaSysService: timeoutFunc: Running the NITZ chain...
    2010-07-09T22:54:44.064453Z [801] palm-webos-device user.warning LunaSysService: timeoutFunc: NITZ chain completed: Ok
    2010-07-09T22:54:44.064697Z [801] palm-webos-device user.warning LunaSysService: timeoutFunc: NITZ FINAL: At least something was ok, time is now Fri Jul 9 18:54:44 2010
    2010-07-09T22:54:45.212554Z [802] palm-webos-device user.warning LunaSysService: PrefsDb::setPref(): set ( [nitzValidity] , [---, length 9] )
    2010-07-09T22:54:45.213012Z [802] palm-webos-device user.warning LunaSysService: transitionNITZValidState(): transitioning [NITZVALID] -> [NITZVALID]
    2010-07-09T22:54:45.213256Z [802] palm-webos-device user.warning LunaSysService: source_periodic: Ending timeout cycle
    2010-07-09T22:54:46.466766Z [804] palm-webos-device user.crit LunaSysMgr: {LunaSysMgrJS}: com.palm.app.clock: Error: launching for update, palmInitFramework338:2520
    2010-07-09T22:54:46.741699Z [804] palm-webos-device user.info powerd: {powerd}: BATTERY_IPC: (715.200012mAh, 77%, 81%_ui, 36C, 98mA, 4055mV, authentic)
    2010-07-09T22:54:47.192626Z [804] palm-webos-device user.info powerd: {powerd}: POWERD-ACTIVITY: PowerdActivityStart: (org.webosinternals.preware-serviceAction) for 900000ms => true
    2010-07-09T22:54:47.358398Z [805] palm-webos-device kern.warning kernel: [ 805.050000] EXT3-fs warning: maximal mount count reached, running e2fsck is recommended
    2010-07-09T22:54:47.877990Z [805] palm-webos-device kern.info kernel: [ 805.570000] EXT3 FS on dm-0, internal journal
    2010-07-09T22:54:49.410522Z [807] palm-webos-device daemon.info upstart: (00807/104744873) Control request to stop com.tntservices.prebkuservice
    2010-07-09T22:54:49.411010Z [807] palm-webos-device daemon.info upstart: (00807/105324707) com.tntservices.prebkuservice goal changed from start to stop
    2010-07-09T22:54:49.411254Z [807] palm-webos-device daemon.info upstart: (00807/105721435) com.tntservices.prebkuservice state changed from running to pre-stop
    2010-07-09T22:54:49.411468Z [807] palm-webos-device daemon.info upstart: (00807/106118164) com.tntservices.prebkuservice state changed from pre-stop to stopping
    2010-07-09T22:54:49.411682Z [807] palm-webos-device daemon.info upstart: (00807/106697998) Handling stopping event
    2010-07-09T22:54:49.411895Z [807] palm-webos-device daemon.info upstart: (00807/107125244) com.tntservices.prebkuservice state changed from stopping to killed
    2010-07-09T22:54:49.412261Z [807] palm-webos-device daemon.info upstart: (00807/107369384) Sending TERM signal to com.tntservices.prebkuservice main process (2824)
    2010-07-09T22:54:49.418365Z [807] palm-webos-device daemon.warning upstart: (00807/115517578) com.tntservices.prebkuservice main process (2824) killed by TERM signal
    2010-07-09T22:54:49.418762Z [807] palm-webos-device daemon.info upstart: (00807/115883789) com.tntservices.prebkuservice state changed from killed to post-stop
    2010-07-09T22:54:49.419006Z [807] palm-webos-device daemon.info upstart: (00807/116250000) com.tntservices.prebkuservice state changed from post-stop to waiting
    2010-07-09T22:54:49.419219Z [807] palm-webos-device daemon.info upstart: (00807/116829833) Handling stopped event
    2010-07-09T22:54:49.486206Z [807] palm-webos-device daemon.info upstart: (00807/184822998) Deleting com.tntservices.prebkuservice job
    2010-07-09T22:54:49.486663Z [807] palm-webos-device daemon.info upstart: (00807/185219726) com.tntservices.prebkuservice state changed from waiting to deleted


    I did the Orange-Sym-R reboot trick, and this time it finally booted up completely. First thing I did was open preware and uninstall Backup. Messages stopped, and as much as I hate to say this, I think my phone might be running a touch faster now...

    Any thoughts on what might be going on here? Anything we can do to debug and see what's up? I really love knowing I can finally back things up, I'd hate to have to stop that...
  8. #148  
    Quote Originally Posted by tcurtin View Post
    Hey guys - here's an interesting one for ya. My Pre suddenly froze today, to the point that I had to do a battery pull to reset it. Then it sat at the loading screen for ~15 min, so I pulled the battery again. Again, loading screen forever. This time, I thought to connect it to my computer and open up a terminal. It was definitely doing stuff - /var/log/messages was getting filled pretty quickly. The odd thing though, was that the Pre Backup daemon was continuously cycling on and off, like so:


    2010-07-09T22:54:41.113952Z [798] palm-webos-device daemon.info upstart: (00798/810250244) com.tntservices.prebkuservice main process (2810) exited normally
    2010-07-09T22:54:41.114410Z [798] palm-webos-device daemon.warning upstart: (00798/810677490) com.tntservices.prebkuservice main process ended, respawning
    2010-07-09T22:54:41.114654Z [798] palm-webos-device daemon.info upstart: (00798/810891113) com.tntservices.prebkuservice state changed from running to stopping
    2010-07-09T22:54:41.114868Z [798] palm-webos-device daemon.info upstart: (00798/811379394) Handling stopping event
    2010-07-09T22:54:41.115081Z [798] palm-webos-device daemon.info upstart: (00798/811776123) com.tntservices.prebkuservice state changed from stopping to killed
    2010-07-09T22:54:41.115295Z [798] palm-webos-device daemon.info upstart: (00798/811989746) com.tntservices.prebkuservice state changed from killed to post-stop
    2010-07-09T22:54:41.115509Z [798] palm-webos-device daemon.info upstart: (00798/812203369) com.tntservices.prebkuservice state changed from post-stop to starting
    2010-07-09T22:54:41.115844Z [798] palm-webos-device daemon.info upstart: (00798/812416992) Handling starting event
    2010-07-09T22:54:41.116058Z [798] palm-webos-device daemon.info upstart: (00798/812691650) com.tntservices.prebkuservice state changed from starting to pre-start
    2010-07-09T22:54:41.116271Z [798] palm-webos-device daemon.info upstart: (00798/812905273) com.tntservices.prebkuservice state changed from pre-start to spawned
    2010-07-09T22:54:41.154663Z [798] palm-webos-device daemon.info upstart: (00798/853859863) Active com.tntservices.prebkuservice main process (2824)
    2010-07-09T22:54:41.155883Z [798] palm-webos-device daemon.info upstart: (00798/855294189) com.tntservices.prebkuservice state changed from spawned to post-start
    2010-07-09T22:54:41.156463Z [798] palm-webos-device daemon.info upstart: (00798/855935058) com.tntservices.prebkuservice state changed from post-start to running
    2010-07-09T22:54:41.157073Z [798] palm-webos-device daemon.info upstart: (00798/856575927) Handling started event
    2010-07-09T22:54:43.282836Z [800] palm-webos-device kern.debug kernel: [ 800.980000] IPT_PACKET_DROPPED_NO_MATCH: IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:00:17:f2:ef:1e:02:08:00 SRC=192.168.1.230 DST=192.168.1.255 LEN=44 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID=32183 PROTO=UDP SPT=56233 DPT=8612 LEN=24
    2010-07-09T22:54:43.286621Z [800] palm-webos-device kern.debug kernel: [ 800.980000] IPT_PACKET_DROPPED_NO_MATCH: IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=01:00:5e:00:00:01:00:17:f2:ef:1e:02:08:00 SRC=192.168.1.230 DST=224.0.0.1 LEN=44 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=1 ID=34714 PROTO=UDP SPT=65339 DPT=8612 LEN=24
    2010-07-09T22:54:44.064025Z [801] palm-webos-device user.warning LunaSysService: timeoutFunc: Running the NITZ chain...
    2010-07-09T22:54:44.064453Z [801] palm-webos-device user.warning LunaSysService: timeoutFunc: NITZ chain completed: Ok
    2010-07-09T22:54:44.064697Z [801] palm-webos-device user.warning LunaSysService: timeoutFunc: NITZ FINAL: At least something was ok, time is now Fri Jul 9 18:54:44 2010
    2010-07-09T22:54:45.212554Z [802] palm-webos-device user.warning LunaSysService: PrefsDb::setPref(): set ( [nitzValidity] , [---, length 9] )
    2010-07-09T22:54:45.213012Z [802] palm-webos-device user.warning LunaSysService: transitionNITZValidState(): transitioning [NITZVALID] -> [NITZVALID]
    2010-07-09T22:54:45.213256Z [802] palm-webos-device user.warning LunaSysService: source_periodic: Ending timeout cycle
    2010-07-09T22:54:46.466766Z [804] palm-webos-device user.crit LunaSysMgr: {LunaSysMgrJS}: com.palm.app.clock: Error: launching for update, palmInitFramework338:2520
    2010-07-09T22:54:46.741699Z [804] palm-webos-device user.info powerd: {powerd}: BATTERY_IPC: (715.200012mAh, 77%, 81%_ui, 36C, 98mA, 4055mV, authentic)
    2010-07-09T22:54:47.192626Z [804] palm-webos-device user.info powerd: {powerd}: POWERD-ACTIVITY: PowerdActivityStart: (org.webosinternals.preware-serviceAction) for 900000ms => true
    2010-07-09T22:54:47.358398Z [805] palm-webos-device kern.warning kernel: [ 805.050000] EXT3-fs warning: maximal mount count reached, running e2fsck is recommended
    2010-07-09T22:54:47.877990Z [805] palm-webos-device kern.info kernel: [ 805.570000] EXT3 FS on dm-0, internal journal
    2010-07-09T22:54:49.410522Z [807] palm-webos-device daemon.info upstart: (00807/104744873) Control request to stop com.tntservices.prebkuservice
    2010-07-09T22:54:49.411010Z [807] palm-webos-device daemon.info upstart: (00807/105324707) com.tntservices.prebkuservice goal changed from start to stop
    2010-07-09T22:54:49.411254Z [807] palm-webos-device daemon.info upstart: (00807/105721435) com.tntservices.prebkuservice state changed from running to pre-stop
    2010-07-09T22:54:49.411468Z [807] palm-webos-device daemon.info upstart: (00807/106118164) com.tntservices.prebkuservice state changed from pre-stop to stopping
    2010-07-09T22:54:49.411682Z [807] palm-webos-device daemon.info upstart: (00807/106697998) Handling stopping event
    2010-07-09T22:54:49.411895Z [807] palm-webos-device daemon.info upstart: (00807/107125244) com.tntservices.prebkuservice state changed from stopping to killed
    2010-07-09T22:54:49.412261Z [807] palm-webos-device daemon.info upstart: (00807/107369384) Sending TERM signal to com.tntservices.prebkuservice main process (2824)
    2010-07-09T22:54:49.418365Z [807] palm-webos-device daemon.warning upstart: (00807/115517578) com.tntservices.prebkuservice main process (2824) killed by TERM signal
    2010-07-09T22:54:49.418762Z [807] palm-webos-device daemon.info upstart: (00807/115883789) com.tntservices.prebkuservice state changed from killed to post-stop
    2010-07-09T22:54:49.419006Z [807] palm-webos-device daemon.info upstart: (00807/116250000) com.tntservices.prebkuservice state changed from post-stop to waiting
    2010-07-09T22:54:49.419219Z [807] palm-webos-device daemon.info upstart: (00807/116829833) Handling stopped event
    2010-07-09T22:54:49.486206Z [807] palm-webos-device daemon.info upstart: (00807/184822998) Deleting com.tntservices.prebkuservice job
    2010-07-09T22:54:49.486663Z [807] palm-webos-device daemon.info upstart: (00807/185219726) com.tntservices.prebkuservice state changed from waiting to deleted


    I did the Orange-Sym-R reboot trick, and this time it finally booted up completely. First thing I did was open preware and uninstall Backup. Messages stopped, and as much as I hate to say this, I think my phone might be running a touch faster now...

    Any thoughts on what might be going on here? Anything we can do to debug and see what's up? I really love knowing I can finally back things up, I'd hate to have to stop that...
    Looks like an upstart job respawn storm.

    If the author can point me to the online source code repository for the upstart script, I can take a look at it and advise. We changed to a new idiom for doing upstart scripts about 6 months ago to stop this problem in WebOS Internals Java services (of which there are few left, we've changed all ours to C so they will still work when Palm removes Java from the device in a future webOS update).

    -- Rod

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  9. #149  
    Quote Originally Posted by tcurtin View Post
    Hey guys - here's an interesting one for ya. My Pre suddenly froze today, to the point that I had to do a battery pull to reset it. Then it sat at the loading screen for ~15 min, so I pulled the battery again. Again, loading screen forever.
    Any thoughts on what might be going on here?

    The WebOS takes longer to load depending on how much memory is being used. I had used the Pre Backup and it used up the rest of my storage space (1.1GB's). So have you checked the memory of your Pre? I now only use the Pre Back utility to backup the files and then I transfer those files to my PC. That way my phone gets to keep the extra memory and I get a backup saved on my computer. So you might want to check and see how much memory you have left, and see about transferring those backups to a computer.

    Carrier: Sprint
    Device: Palm Pre
    Favorite App: NesEm
    Favorite Modification: UberKernel

  10. #150  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewPre View Post
    First of all I need more information on what's going wrong...are you getting an error message?? What's occurring when you try to restore??? Steps to recreate for example?

    Also, this backup you are trying to restore..... When you made the backup you had a certain number of 'accounts' on your Pre. Lets say, just for example,.....you only had google and yahoo accounts in addition to the Palm Pre Profile account which is mandatory and defualt...everyone has that one right.....

    ....In the time since that backup was made have you added or removed any accounts??? Have you added Facebook Photobucket or Exchange accounts or have you removed either of the yahoo or google accounts?

    In other words when you're going through the 'first use' app, is the list of accounts you setup different from the list of accounts that are in the backup? Do you remember?

    Finally, you have the backup archive on your host PC... so you have more than a couple of options....but here are a couple....

    1) unzip [unrar] the archive on your host pc and sFTP the /media/cryptofs/apps directory in the archve over to the same directory on your PRE. Viola... apps restored. Same can be done for the PalmDatabase.db3 file and call logs, chat messages, etc will be restored. [the directories of the archive are a mirror of what's on the Device itself]

    2) WebOS Quick Install - There are two features in WEBOSQI. Run both.... a) Send File - send the archive file to / [root], and b) Linux Commandline - run 'tar -xvf ppbku_4.tar.gz'....replacing the number 4 with the number on your backup archive from step 'a'. [once run, use 'ps -ef' repeatedly until you no longer see the 'tar' process in the list of processes, then it's done] c) restart the phone.
    Hi DrewPre, I am unfortunately a novice. I am about to go to Verizon to demand a replacement for my double key stroke frenzied pre. After reading all of these pages I am still not sure I will know how to restore. I am sorry I am asking for more spoon-feeding, but I truly feel like I understand only half the process, the backup. I downloaded PBU on 7/9 and already ran the backup with seemingly no problem and the file ppbku_1.tar.gz off the USB drive is transferred to my PC. Although the file seems to be only about 10kb. Does that make sense in any world?

    This seems the best post to reply to, so here are my main questions. #2 restore via quick install. You say a) send file to [root]. Could you explain what that is. What exactly do I have to type into the destination folder? b) when you say "[once run, use 'ps -ef' repeatedly until you no longer see the 'tar' process in the list of processes, then it's done]" what does this mean. Do I have to type in Linux commandline 'ps -ef' repeatedly? What would be the typical amount of times I need to do this? And will it be obvious to me that the tar process is absent and done?

    One more thing, at this point do I tell the Verizon tech support not to restore my palm profile on my hopefully new pre? Is that still necessary? I am confused based on recent posts if this is necessary.

    I am hoping my inexperience won't prevent me from enjoying what sounds like an amazing application. So please help if my questions make any sense.

    Thanks a bunch.
  11. #151  
    izzmeth,

    Your backup file size seems quite low.
    When my Pre was a couple of weeks old I ran into the App Catalog problem, got logged out of my profile, and had to restore my Pre. I didn't have much other than Preware and some patches installed but my backup filesize was 40 MB. (Currently it is 1.43 GB.)

    When you ran the backup program, did you select everything? (I have everything selected under Phone Data, Browser data, Multimedia, and Applications.)

    I would also suggest getting and running the Save/Restore application from Preware and copying its datafiles off to the PC. Also make a note of the patches you have installed (if any).

    When you get the new phone, yes, let Verizon restore your Palm profile to the new phone. That will allow the applications from the App Catalog to be reinstalled on your Pre. Do this before running the restore application. I did it the opposite way once and it turns your applications into placeholders that won't run and will just start the App Catalog. I did a partial erase of the phone at that point and started over.

    So. Restore your Palm Profile, then run the WebOS Quick Install to install Preware.
    From Preware install the PreBackup Utility. Copy your restore files back from the PC. Run the Pre Backup Utility restore and then run the restore from Save/Restore.
    Now restart your phone.

    At this point you should be pretty close to where you were on the old phone.
    There will probably be some application settings that were not backed up and you will have to set again.

    You also may have to reinstall your patches. (I haven't done a restore since the Save/Restore application became available). Maybe someone else could comment on that.
  12. tcurtin's Avatar
    Posts
    150 Posts
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    #152  
    Quote Originally Posted by John_ View Post
    izzmeth,

    Your backup file size seems quite low.
    When my Pre was a couple of weeks old I ran into the App Catalog problem, got logged out of my profile, and had to restore my Pre. I didn't have much other than Preware and some patches installed but my backup filesize was 40 MB. (Currently it is 1.43 GB.)

    When you ran the backup program, did you select everything? (I have everything selected under Phone Data, Browser data, Multimedia, and Applications.)

    I would also suggest getting and running the Save/Restore application from Preware and copying its datafiles off to the PC. Also make a note of the patches you have installed (if any).

    When you get the new phone, yes, let Verizon restore your Palm profile to the new phone. That will allow the applications from the App Catalog to be reinstalled on your Pre. Do this before running the restore application. I did it the opposite way once and it turns your applications into placeholders that won't run and will just start the App Catalog. I did a partial erase of the phone at that point and started over.

    So. Restore your Palm Profile, then run the WebOS Quick Install to install Preware.
    From Preware install the PreBackup Utility. Copy your restore files back from the PC. Run the Pre Backup Utility restore and then run the restore from Save/Restore.
    Now restart your phone.

    At this point you should be pretty close to where you were on the old phone.
    There will probably be some application settings that were not backed up and you will have to set again.

    You also may have to reinstall your patches. (I haven't done a restore since the Save/Restore application became available). Maybe someone else could comment on that.
    I agree that your package size is pretty small. Worth trying to run again.

    As far as patches go, don't forget that preware itself has a "Saved Package List" item on the first page. Click that, tap "Update", and it will save a listing of all your patches. Close out of Preware, and run Save/Restore. Then last but not least, run Pre Backup Utility. In theory, that should give you a backup of your backup of your backup (of patches, anyway). Use the reverse order, but not after running Save/Restore, open Preware, go to Saved Package List, and tap "Install All" - that should give your patches back too!

    (Note that I haven't had to try this out myself yet. And, I've currently got PBU uninstalled due to the looping daemon of doom - see my previous post. Caveat emptor...)
  13. #153  
    I'm having an issue using Backup Utility at the moment:
    As soon as I select any of:
    Browser - Bookmarks
    Browser - History
    Applications - Settings

    the progress bar never completes after I click continue, and it never reaches the page to save the archive.
    As soon as I unselect all 3 of those it then works.

    I am trying to save all my data, as I have just acquired a Pre+ to upgrade to.

    I have tried uninstalling PBU, deleting all data related to the program, then reinstalling 1.6.1 using WOSQI, and updating to 1.6.7 in preware. (couldn't find 1.6.7 in preware to install that direct)

    Does anyone have any ideas to fix this, or work out why it doesn't appear to work?
  14. #154  
    Quote Originally Posted by John_ View Post
    izzmeth,

    Your backup file size seems quite low.
    When my Pre was a couple of weeks old I ran into the App Catalog problem, got logged out of my profile, and had to restore my Pre. I didn't have much other than Preware and some patches installed but my backup filesize was 40 MB. (Currently it is 1.43 GB.)

    When you ran the backup program, did you select everything? (I have everything selected under Phone Data, Browser data, Multimedia, and Applications.)

    I would also suggest getting and running the Save/Restore application from Preware and copying its datafiles off to the PC. Also make a note of the patches you have installed (if any).

    When you get the new phone, yes, let Verizon restore your Palm profile to the new phone. That will allow the applications from the App Catalog to be reinstalled on your Pre. Do this before running the restore application. I did it the opposite way once and it turns your applications into placeholders that won't run and will just start the App Catalog. I did a partial erase of the phone at that point and started over.

    So. Restore your Palm Profile, then run the WebOS Quick Install to install Preware.
    From Preware install the PreBackup Utility. Copy your restore files back from the PC. Run the Pre Backup Utility restore and then run the restore from Save/Restore.
    Now restart your phone.

    At this point you should be pretty close to where you were on the old phone.
    There will probably be some application settings that were not backed up and you will have to set again.

    You also may have to reinstall your patches. (I haven't done a restore since the Save/Restore application became available). Maybe someone else could comment on that.
    Thanks a lot John. It's good to know that I could allow VZ to do what they need to do.

    Good to get advice about restoring via PBU first and then via Save/Restore.

    10kb seemed crazy small to me, and I had everything checked. Will backup again and see what happens. I've had this phone since March so it should be a much larger file.

    In terms of sending the backup file to my new Pre, I am still not sure the exact steps. What to put in the destination folder. Is it just "root"? And b) in DrewPre's instruction that I quoted. Or could I just transfer the file via USB and then start the restore process. Trial and error.

    If all goes well I will report back. Thanks for the support!!
    Last edited by izzmeth; 07/10/2010 at 03:07 PM.
  15. #155  
    Quote Originally Posted by tcurtin View Post
    I agree that your package size is pretty small. Worth trying to run again.

    As far as patches go, don't forget that preware itself has a "Saved Package List" item on the first page. Click that, tap "Update", and it will save a listing of all your patches. Close out of Preware, and run Save/Restore. Then last but not least, run Pre Backup Utility. In theory, that should give you a backup of your backup of your backup (of patches, anyway). Use the reverse order, but not after running Save/Restore, open Preware, go to Saved Package List, and tap "Install All" - that should give your patches back too!

    (Note that I haven't had to try this out myself yet. And, I've currently got PBU uninstalled due to the looping daemon of doom - see my previous post. Caveat emptor...)
    Thanks tcurtin, triplicate backup sounds redundantly redundant, but probably a good idea.
    The truth is the main thing I want to save is my text messages and games. Everything else seems fairly easy to backup and restore manually, even though manually reinstalling my patches would take a long time, it wouldn't be the worst thing.
  16. #156  
    Quote Originally Posted by izzmeth View Post
    Thanks a lot John. It's good to know that I could allow VZ to do what they need to do.

    Good to get advice about restoring via PBU first and then via Save/Restore.

    10kb seemed crazy small to me, and I had everything checked. Will backup again and see what happens. I've had this phone since March so it should be a much larger file.

    In terms of sending the backup file to my new Pre, I am still not sure the exact steps. What to put in the destination folder. Is it just "root"? And b) in DrewPre's instruction that I quoted. Or could I just transfer the file via USB and then start the restore process. Trial and error.

    If all goes well I will report back. Thanks for the support!!
    Just connect the Pre with the USB cable to your computer and put the Pre into USB Drive mode. You should see the ppbackup and saverestore directories. Copy those to your computer and put them back in the same place on the new Pre.

    As long as you are there you can look and see if there is anything else you want to copy to your computer from the Pre. (photos, ringtones, wallpapers, etc)
  17. copyace's Avatar
    Posts
    2 Posts
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    #157  
    Quote Originally Posted by JSladen View Post
    I'm having an issue using Backup Utility at the moment:
    As soon as I select any of:
    Browser - Bookmarks
    Browser - History
    Applications - Settings

    the progress bar never completes after I click continue, and it never reaches the page to save the archive.
    As soon as I unselect all 3 of those it then works.
    Swapping to a replacement Pre, and am trying to do the same just now with the identical problem -- so backed up everything but. Now going to do the process with Save And Restore, which I trust more ...
    >>Brent
  18. booty900's Avatar
    Posts
    16 Posts
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    #158  
    I did a partial erase to fix a problem with my text messaging but before I did I used the backup utility. It completed and now when I try to open a contact it goes to the contacts page for a second and goes back to the list of contacts. Also none of the text message conversations have numbers linked to them so I can't send anything. How do I link it or fix everything?
    Last edited by booty900; 07/12/2010 at 01:31 AM.
  19. booty900's Avatar
    Posts
    16 Posts
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    #159  
    Sorry for a bump this late but I need help fast
  20. booty900's Avatar
    Posts
    16 Posts
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    #160  
    Ok nevermind. I decided to do another partial erase and just start over. The only thing I wanted on the back up was the text message conversations. But is there anyway that I can take the old text message conversations from the back up and just add those to the new ones that I get? thanks
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions