Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
    I am cross posting this from another thread, because I am not sure which thread to post this in.

I have used this truly amazing app a number of times, and it has saved my hide! I am having a problem; don't know if it's related to the update.

When I restore from my previously created backup, everything seems to be properly restored and working, yet when I open Preware, it doesn't show any of the installed apps. I ran ERU (Emergency Reconstruction Utility) from preware, and it doesn't help. The odd thing is that the apps seem to work (didn't test all, but the ones that I tried worked). I even doctored the phone before installing just preware and pre backup utility with WOSQI, and then running the restore, and it didn't help.

If this is related to the recent update, is there anywhere that I can download the older version from?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    for those of you wanting to revert to the previous version I have attached it to this post.

Next, I've made revisions in the code for 1.6.6 to resolve issues with empty result sets being returned from sql queries associated with the browser, app settings [html5 apps], avatar files, and memos. Symptom was during a backup the progress bar would make it to 100% and then stall never making it to the confirmation screen. This was seen in freshly created emulators, webOS Doctored phones, replacement phones and partial and full erase phones with no apps and the browser was never opened. This has been fixed.

Also of note....after a fresh install it may take a little longer than most apps for the service to start. If you ope Pre BAckup Util and it stalls on the first LOADING screen .... this is because the service hasn't [finished] starting. Simply restart the app after 5 to 10 seconds.

As for the problems during restore... I will need more information... please continue to post updates. I am not sure how I will get back online just that someway I will eventually. In the meantime you have 1.6.1 [attached]. I would restore using 1.6.1 [it should handle the compression also] if it's anything other than a testing situation.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Palm Pre Backup Utility...done!
    Locate Pre....done!
    Hi Drew...I just had to completely wipe my Pre (OS Doctor, since Repair wouldn't work) and I can't get PreBackup to ever finish the process...I left it on this morning while I was packing up my old apartment (~5 hours) and it's still running the SpinningCircle and telling me to "Please be patient while backup is backing up." Now I am a patient man but it never took 5 hours before...I've uninstalled and re-installed (both from Preware and QuickInstall), and restarted, and still no luck...any ideas? It was fabulous before, and I miss it now...
    I seem to be getting the "Stalled at 100% processing" issue when attempting a backup. Any suggestions?
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Everyone needs to completely remove version 1.6.6

restart their pre

verify PBU is uninstalled

then use Preware or webOS Quick Install to reinstall.

Locate Pre....done!
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts

restart their pre

Locate Pre....done!
    Quote Originally Posted by ecrecr View Post
    When I restore from my previously created backup, everything seems to be properly restored and working, yet when I open Preware, it doesn't show any of the installed apps. I ran ERU (Emergency Reconstruction Utility) from preware, and it doesn't help. The odd thing is that the apps seem to work (didn't test all, but the ones that I tried worked). I even doctored the phone before installing just preware and pre backup utility with WOSQI, and then running the restore, and it didn't help.

If this is related to the recent update, is there anywhere that I can download the older version from?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
    Same here - minus the ERU & phone doctoring... Plus none of my tweaks are appearing ...

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
    forgot to mention that i used version 1.6.1 - i had used 1.6.6 first but deleted as instructed above.
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    Hi,

I had some problems with my Pre and thus I did make a backup with PBU and did doctor it yesterday (to 1.4.5!). If I start PBU now and want to restore, it warns me, that it is a different webOS version. Is there a way to transfer databases and settings only? Unzip and transfer only some directories? I think this would be the safest way.

Thanks

Marcel
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    I've been trying to install this via Preware, but after installing, there is no icon to start the program. If I try to launch from Preware, nothing happens. I'm on the AT&T Pre+. Any clues?
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Guys, problems with apps showing up in Preware, I cannot address right now. With all due respect...and no offense intend to Preware, and Rod W., if the applications are showing up in the app launcher and 'List Apps' under the app launcher's preferences, then I am going to have to assume that Pre Backup is functioning as intended. However, this does not mean I am not willing to do whatever it takes to ensure compatibility with all other homebrew apps, I am just not in a position to do so right now.

I believe, although I am not sure, that there is a discussion regarding this problem in the Preware forum tho.

@mgmft, if you're getting a version conflict message in PBU you can typically ignore it but also you don't ahve the most recent version of PBU either. I would highly recommend upgrading.

@iraduet, Even though a proper installation won't require a restart for the icon to appear. the icon does in fact appear when you restart the phone....but if it's doing that I would be suspicious of the install. I would delete and reinstall by removing your current version [after a restart to get the icon to show up] and then restart, and then reinstall again. repeat this until you get the icon to show up without requiring a restart.

Locate Pre....done!
    Hi DrewPre !

I noticed that if I only do a backup of my PIM data and Bookmark data, then the backup goes fine.

But, if I select application settings and/or application, the progress bar stucks at 100% and the backup screen doesn't show up.

I tried to uninstall/ re install the application, but, same issue happen.

Is that "normal" ?

Thanks !
    Hi, I've made a backup using the Pre Backup Utility on my pre and have just got a replacement pre (due to speaker issues on old one). Does anyone know what would happen if I *don't* disable Palm Backup, i.e. if I allow Palm to restore its info onto the new phone and then restore from the Pre Backup Utility afterwards? Would that just overwrite what was restored onto the new phone from the cloud, or is it not advisable to do this?
    Thanks in advance.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    I used PBU 1.6.6 to restore my wifes referb replacement Pre two days ago and it seemed to work fine. The next day however she went to add a new contact and it gave her an error. After that SMS would not work, no sending or receiving of text messages..

Anyway, I think I just managed to fix her issue by restoring her old usr/lib/luna/PalmDatabase.db3 & var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3 files from my own rsync backup just before her phone was replaced. Followed by an immediate reboot.

Anyway, is the problem with 1.6.6 simply in the restore process or are any backups made with it also "bad"?

I uninstalled 1.6.6 and updated the feeds but can't find PBU anymore....
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewPre View Post

restart their pre

Thanks for the update -- I had 1.6.6 installed, but, it would just hang after I started the backup (tried a few times: fresh off a boot, etc.. and it ran for 7+ hours without completing, etc..).

Question for you. Now that I've uninstalled it (and rebooted), I went back to PreWare, but, it still shows as v. 1.6.6 in the list of available downloads. Should I be looking for 1.6.7, or, is this a *new* 1.6.6?

Chris
    I uninstalled pre Backup Utility as per the previous posts...but now it is no longer available on Preware. Anyone else finding it?
    I was able to find it.

Today I uninstalled v1.6.6, rebooted the Pre, started Preware and searched for backup.
    The first item on the search results was Pre Backup Utility. I installed v1.6.7, started it and ran a (uncompressed) backup. My resulting backup file was 1.47GB (which was the same size as one I ran with v1.6.6 just before I uninstalled Pre Backup Utility.
    Thanks John.
    Pre Backup Utility is there now, but was not there earlier this afternoon ;-) The version there now is 1.6.6 and not 1.6.7.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I'm getting an error briefly visible in Preware when installing/uninstalling Pre Backup Utility 1.6.7.

The Postinst section of the ipkg log is saying an invalid mount option is being used.

mount: invalid option -- 0 (that's a zero)
    BusyBox v1.11.2 () multi-call binary
    Usage: ...
    -a ...
    -r ...
    -t ...
    -w ...
    -o option:
    ... and so on ...
    mount: mounting /dev/mapper/store-root on / failed: device or resource busy

then in the Prerm section, after the prebkuservice (stop) waiting, the same mount message above on failure to mount.

Not sure if this is causing the app once installed to fail to backup and just sit there on preparing...

Using the stable Uberkernel, not sure what else could be interfering with the mount and overall un/install.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Robi_; 07/06/2010 at 10:10 PM.
    Very strange. I had installed 1.6.1 earlier today using the download link provided above by Drew, when version 1.6.6 could not be found. When I saw your posted answer, I went back to Preware, and there was the available update of Pre Backup Utility...just as you said. So, I uninstalled 1.6.1, rebooted the pre as you did. Then I went back to Preware (10 minutes or so later), and now can no longer find Pre Backup Utility again. VERY strange! Seems like you have to have the application installed in the Pre in order to find it.