Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Truth is, I don't know why this occurs and I am not sure what fixes it.

I do know that the information [correct location of the avatars] is in the database.

My experience has shown, that when in the messaging app, the next time you chat with a person their avatar appears correctly from that point forward. As for the contacts app, sometimes a restart of the Pre will resolve the issue.

Palm Pre Backup Utility...done!
    Locate Pre....done!
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    This program restores everything EXCEPT apps right?

I will restore the apps setting, but will not backup the Apps themselves.

Also, this will not restore patches as well, I will have to redownload all my patches and tweeks. (launcher config patch, 5x5 icon patch) right?
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    If you select Apps, it backs up everything in /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications

except for optware and webos-internals apps and patches. These will have to be reinstalled

Locate Pre....done!
    DrewPre... I've been trying to sort out the proper steps of how to use this utility, so can you take a look at this and tell me if this is correct? thx.

1. Launch (palm's) Backup app and turn off the backup
    2. QUESTION: how do you "clear" the backup so that when resigning into the palm profile in a later step, the pre doesn't try to restore itself to the last state before backup was turned off?
    3. Launch your Pre Backup Utility, and perform a backup, leaving the default settings on to backup everything (except for patches and any preware apps, which this utility DOES NOT back up).
    4. Doctor the pre as usual, or exchange phone.
    5. Now, with a freshly doctored pre, or a new pre, sign into your palm profile and go through all the steps of re-entering your accounts as normal.
    6. Launch your Pre Backup Utility, and perform a restore
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    When you turn off the Palm Backup...it deletes all your backups from the cloud. That is my understanding anyway....so when you are done doctoring the phone the Palm Backup app has nothing to restore.

More for consistency than as a requirement I would then also turn off Palm Backup AGAIN after the Doctor but before the restore.

Your paid apps will be restored so long as they were in /media/cryptofs/apps and of course if they were also selected when you performed the backup.

Thanks for the write-up... I guess this was sorta needed....

Locate Pre....done!
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Oh and it does backup preware apps [PreCentral, App Catalog, et al] just not optware apps and patches.

Locate Pre....done!
    this did not work at all. I tried every suggestion I could find on this thread and still no luck. oh but now I also don't have any of my paid apps and things since I shut off the back up before restoring. sweet!

sorry just a bit ****ed and tired

I do apprieciate the program and all the work you have put into it. I will try again tomorrow
    What does this button do?

crappy phones -->treo 600--> 700p--> 755p--> Pre--->Pre- 2.1 F104-----Franken Pre+ 2.1 f105 ---> Franken pre2 2.2.4
    touchpad 16gig uberkernel woop woop!!!
    any suggestions on how to get my info back would be great. I feel like I have exhausted all the ideas I could find. I have a backed up file still and I copied the usb portion of my phone to my computer before the doctor. I just don't seem to be able to restore the backup and since I shut my profile off before the doctor I lost all that information also. again any suggestions would be much appreciated

crappy phones -->treo 600--> 700p--> 755p--> Pre--->Pre- 2.1 F104-----Franken Pre+ 2.1 f105 ---> Franken pre2 2.2.4
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    First of all I need more information on what's going wrong...are you getting an error message?? What's occurring when you try to restore??? Steps to recreate for example?

Also, this backup you are trying to restore..... When you made the backup you had a certain number of 'accounts' on your Pre. Lets say, just for example,.....you only had google and yahoo accounts in addition to the Palm Pre Profile account which is mandatory and defualt...everyone has that one right.....

....In the time since that backup was made have you added or removed any accounts??? Have you added Facebook Photobucket or Exchange accounts or have you removed either of the yahoo or google accounts?

In other words when you're going through the 'first use' app, is the list of accounts you setup different from the list of accounts that are in the backup? Do you remember?

Finally, you have the backup archive on your host PC... so you have more than a couple of options....but here are a couple....

1) unzip [unrar] the archive on your host pc and sFTP the /media/cryptofs/apps directory in the archve over to the same directory on your PRE. Viola... apps restored. Same can be done for the PalmDatabase.db3 file and call logs, chat messages, etc will be restored. [the directories of the archive are a mirror of what's on the Device itself]

2) WebOS Quick Install - There are two features in WEBOSQI. Run both.... a) Send File - send the archive file to / [root], and b) Linux Commandline - run 'tar -xvf ppbku_4.tar.gz'....replacing the number 4 with the number on your backup archive from step 'a'. [once run, use 'ps -ef' repeatedly until you no longer see the 'tar' process in the list of processes, then it's done] c) restart the phone.

Locate Pre....done!
    thankyou for the quick response. and sorry for the freak out. I have restored everything using the method you have suggested, I actually read in an earlier post by you about replacing the PalmDatabase.db3 file. I did this using webos quickinstall and unzipping the tar.gz file on my computer. I then reran the prebackup restore, before resetting I opened my email, calander, contacts, memos and anything else I could think off, then reset the phone and now everything is back. I am still trying to get preware to restore all my patches. I keep getting an ipkg error, the log says "failed -1 invalid or missing filename parameter"

I can deal with restoring patches no problem, I just freaked when it was like midnight and all my info was gone, anyways now my life is back to normal (over exaggeration) and my "pre" world is at peace.

thanks again

as an update, the error from preware was because it listed patches I had from the forum which where applied using quickinstall. since it didn't have those files to update it said error. i swiped those files names off the preware list and the update went fine.

What Windows application can I use to open the .tar.gz file? I tried Winzip, but it did not work. I would like to see what's in the ppbku file.

According to http://www.gzip.org/#faq4, I should be able to open the ppbku file with Winzip. Strange. Tried 7Zip too. No luck. Neither program likes the archive file.

Any thoughts about adding a scheduler to the application so I can run it automatically every night and keep the last 3 backup sets?

thanks
    Scott
    Last edited by swieder; 06/18/2010 at 08:52 AM.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    A Scheduler is being considerred...somewhere down the line...right now the priority is to export tables from PalmDatabase.db3 rather than clobbering it. Then doing the same for Applications and their settings. Then watching what Palm does with javascript services and db8 in the fall. If I can fit a scheduler in there I will certainly try.

As for opening the archive. Rarsoft's WinRAR will open it. If not, then PM me and I will send you the older copies of WinZip and WinRAR that I am sure will open it and if they don't then it's not a problem with the WinZip/WinRar tools.

Locate Pre....done!
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    WHEW! I, too, was receiving the error message that my backup had been created with a different version of webOS though I knew that to not be the case. I finally bit the bullet and ran the restore anyway, though at first it didn't seem to work. I tried, tried again, with restarts in between.

Finally, it appeared that everything loaded except my pictures and music, but I had moved those to my hard drive anyway, so that isn't a problem. I didn't have to disable my Palm Profile to get it to work, fortunately. Even though it shouldn't have been a problem, I was leery about that step. The items I was most concerned about - my text messages and call log - have been restored (except for the calls and texts that occurred between receiving the new phone and completing the restoration, but that isn't a concern).

Thank you Mr. Drew! Good luck to you!

Bonnie Ruairaidh
    This is a great app, just be careful that you don't backup too much content. I ran into a problem earlier where the backup's took up a little more then 1GB of my Pre's memory, and that caused some crashing issues. The app didn't cause the issues directly, just the fact that almost all of my free memory space was gone. So just keep in mind that this app makes pretty large backups. It is better to backup the content, save the folder (ppbackup) to your PC, then delete the backup file from your phone. That way you have a backup of your phones content, while still having free memory.

Carrier: Sprint
    Device: Palm Pre
    Favorite App: NesEm
    Favorite Modification: UberKernel

I was curious. Can you use the backup utility when you have patches installed, or should I use EPR to remove the patches and then do the backup? I'm getting a replacement Pre this weekend, and want to do this right.

Thanks
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    You can use it when webos-internals patches are installed. Pre Backup Utility does not touch anything with the name webosinternals or optware.

Locate Pre....done!
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I need some volunteers for beta testing.... I have a pretty significant update coming this weekend. I am in code cleanup mode.

This update has the following main features and a few cosmetic updates as well....

1) As a function of incorporating the import/export of tables from all html5 database [Apps & Palm Database], I've removed the webOS version check which was buggy. PBU should work cross-version. Need to confirm this...hence....beta-testing.

2) The restore [import] of application tables to their respective databases happens if and only if the destination database exists. This means you're encouraged to enable and use the Palm Backup app. Allow it to make an additional redundant backup of your paid apps and you're encouraged to use them prior to running a Pre Backup Utility restore job so that their html5 databases will be created and archived database settings will then be restored when PBU is next run.

3) Since there was/is no intuitive way to load an external sql extension on a stock Pre, the collation_sequence LOAD_SECONDARY will be removed from approx 3 or 4 PalmDatabase tables when using Pre Backup Utility. Pre Backup Util touches about 11 tables in this DB, but only about 3 or 4 of them have this collation sequence loaded. All 11 tables and their views, triggers, and indexes are successfully backed up and then restored. The impact of this is unclear...hence ... beta testing.

4) Included the option to use compression [bzip2]. But caution should be used here. Using compression SIGNIFICANTLY slows down the load process for Pre Backup Utility and the processing time for backup/restore jobs. If you wish to regain the speed and snappiness of PBU then you'll need to copy the archive files to your Host PC. [If you're gonna do that then why use compression in the first place...simply copy un-compressed archives to the virtually limitless space on your Host PC to start off with. Nevertheless the option is included.]

Again, i am in clean up mode at this point, I may be adding additional bells and whistles but for the most part it is done. So if you're interested in beta testing let me know over the next couple of days.

As a side note: I anticipate that this will be my last major update for a long time. I managed to escape eviction last month and I'd hoped that the time it bought me would be enough for me to secure a job. I had three interviews this month and one of them went so well that I couldn't remember a time when I sold myself better. Nevertheless I didn't get any of the jobs. In the interim, I've been served eviction papers. I have filed a response with the court and on Tuesday I full anticipate them telling me to pay the balance or vacate. They may give me a week to do so. Not sure where I am going right now, but for now I am focusing on the here and now.

I will prolly select someone from the beta testers to be this apps manager in my absence, but I'm not sure.

Locate Pre....done!
    DrewPre -- i was wondering if you could help me out... i love your app, but also rely heavily on the save/restore app from webos-internals and have been writing a bunch of scripts for it. i have been trying to find out where the saved list of wifi locations is within the OS but have not been able to find that. do you know exactly where that is stored? any help would be appreciated!

Adam
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    DrewPre -- i was wondering if you could help me out... i love your app, but also rely heavily on the save/restore app from webos-internals and have been writing a bunch of scripts for it. i have been trying to find out where the saved list of wifi locations is within the OS but have not been able to find that. do you know exactly where that is stored? any help would be appreciated!

Adam
    The MetaDoctor Makefile has that information in the comments at the top.

-- Rod
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast