Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    How long should the restore take? It's been going for maybe 20-30 minutes now...

EDIT: It finished, took somewhere between 30-45 minutes & rebooting now & once it came up, gave me a message that a "Restart Required" (and something about having to log in again?). Once completed, it had me select English (like a new phone) & log into my Palm Profile and enter passwords for my email. It's restarting again, here's what I know:
    - most recent ver of webos 1.4.1.1 (not how it shipped)
    - Only stock programs are on the phone, no App Store apps nor Homebrew apps appear
    - My memos & tasks have been restored!?!
    - Nothing else remains/was restored

Sounds like I've got the same dilemma being described in the thread below;
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...p-utility.html

Any thoughts on how to restore the applications? Or know what I may have done wrong???
    Last edited by PaulyZ; 06/10/2010 at 12:52 AM.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    question: prior to the restore, did you recreate, login to, and sync all your accounts first?

webOS doesn't particularly like it that there are additional accounts in the PalmDatabase when before there was only one or two.

Palm Pre Backup Utility...done!
    Locate Pre....done!
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewPre View Post
    question: prior to the restore, did you recreate, login to, and sync all your accounts first?

webOS doesn't particularly like it that there are additional accounts in the PalmDatabase when before there was only one or two.
    I think so... it prompted me to enter my pws from my accounts, so yes. Any idea the fix, since none of my apps are on the device? I'm holding off doing anything until I hear back frm you, thx again!
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Okay, try the restore once more.

When done, and prior to a restart, open and close the following apps...mail, chat, phone, contacts, & calendar

Then restart and see if that makes a difference.

If this doesn't work, try using the Doctor....if you're not familiar with that let me know and I'll provide instructions....otherwise proceed with the Doctor and open/close all the apps above prior to the restore this time, then restore and reboot immediately.

Locate Pre....done!
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    No clue about Doctor, all I know is QuickInstall made me dl it? If you can let me know how it works, I can do so if the restore fails - I'll have to do these steps @my office in a cpl hrs. Thx again!!
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulyZ View Post
    No clue about Doctor, all I know is QuickInstall made me dl it? If you can let me know how it works, I can do so if the restore fails - I'll have to do these steps @my office in a cpl hrs. Thx again!!
    The doctor works by returning all of software back to factory settings. So will clear application, patches, themes, call logs, messages etc but it will leave your usb file intact.
    To run it all you need to do is put your phone in dev mode and plug it into the pc. Then double click the doctor.jar file and a window will open, just follow the instruction here. Leave it run the doctor.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    1) Put your Pre in Dev mode....

Code:
     Enable Developer mode

1. In Card view or in the Launcher application, type the following:
          upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
       2. Tap the resulting Developer Mode Enabler icon.
       3. In the application, move the Developer Mode slider to the On position.
       4. Tap Reset the Device .
          When reset is complete, Developer mode is enabled.
    2) Connect your Pre to your PC
    3) Double click the webOS Doctor that you downloaded as a part of webOS Quick Install
    4) Follow the instructions on screen.

Locate Pre....done!
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Okay, try the restore once more.

When done, and prior to a restart, open and close the following apps...mail, chat, phone, contacts, & calendar

Then restart and see if that makes a difference.

If this doesn't work, try using the Doctor....if you're not familiar with that let me know and I'll provide instructions....otherwise proceed with the Doctor and open/close all the apps above prior to the restore this time, then restore and reboot immediately.
    DrewPre I'm restarting now and got the same message as last night, reads "Restore Required" 'You need to restart your phone. After restart, sign into your Palm Profile to restore backed up data' with only a "Restart Now" button & no other options.

UPDATE- So I'm using the Doctor (which showed the icon on attached pic during entire process... weird?). Now that I have to sign into my Palm Profile again, what do I do when it asks me for pws for my mail accounts... Skip it this time, load Preware + Pre Backup Utility & proceed with the Pre Backup Utility restore? And do you know if the apps I'd previously loaded on my old Pre (that disappeared on my new Pre) come back?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PaulyZ; 06/10/2010 at 02:52 PM.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    A rough summary of the restore process that has worked for me and many others is this...

1) you setup and login to your accounts
    2) verify account setup by opening various apps [email contacts calendar IM, etc]
    3) install PreWare [via webOS QI] and Pre Bbackup Utility [via PreWare]
    4) restore the backup you xfered from the old Pre.
    5) restart the Pre

If this process fails then anything we try that's an alternative to the above is trial and error. So should you skip the mail account setup this time? That's an option. Personally this is a step that I don't think can be skipped but since the process above is not working it's worth a shot.

However, I think that one of the following should do it....opening the various apps mentioned a) before the restore and then restarting b) after the restore but prior to the restart and c) both a & b

I think there is something about opening those apps and utilizing them so that they write to the PalmDatabase and in doing so validates that DB file to the underlying webOS and enables the process to work.

I wanted to go through all of this before I told you exactly what to do but I tried Doctoring my phone and it wouldn't Doctor. I am going to have to return it tonight hopefully. I always think they are going to give me some fight about replacing it and they never do. we'll see.

Locate Pre....done!
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Me again :/ ... Went through the entire Doctor process, completed the restore & opened each app listed before restart. Restarted. Now the "Restore Required" message is back, so when I hit the "Restart Now" button, it'll wipe the phone back clean again...

Any thoughts on what I'm obviously doing wrong? Phone restarting...

EDIT: Just saw your above post... lemme read 1st.
    EDIT2: Time for trial & error, baby!! That summary may be just the ticket, as I'm trying to do all of this at my desk and have been getting hella interruptions all day.

So answer me this. After that last "Restart Required" it reboots the phone and seems to wipe at least some of what's on it, and takes me back to the 'English/Espaņol' screen. Do I doctor now? Or go through the setup and then Dr.? We're GONNA figure this thing out, man!!
    Last edited by PaulyZ; 06/10/2010 at 05:34 PM.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    The English/Espanol screen you're referring to is called the "first use" app.

when you get the first use app...it doesn't matter if you doctor before or after you setup your acconts at that point. The Doctor is going to wipe whatever you setup anyway...so just go ahead and doctor rather than setting up your accounts if you're seeing the first use app.

so after the doctor try the a, b, & c items listed above....I don't think I am gonna make the sprint store this evening as I have to be somewhere at 8p and the sprint store closes at 9p and I am still copying some ISO images from my pre.

Locate Pre....done!
    The English/Espanol screen you're referring to is called the "first use" app.

when you get the first use app...it doesn't matter if you doctor before or after you setup your acconts at that point. The Doctor is going to wipe whatever you setup anyway...so just go ahead and doctor rather than setting up your accounts if you're seeing the first use app.

so after the doctor try the a, b, & c items listed above....I don't think I am gonna make the sprint store this evening as I have to be somewhere at 8p and the sprint store closes at 9p and I am still copying some ISO images from my pre.
    Drew,

If you've got MetaDoctor set up, it has a new feature to take a complete filesystem image of your device. That might be useful as a secondary redundant backup for you before you exchange your device.

BTW, it's 'Preware', not 'PreWare' - no capital other than the first letter.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    heh, not sure why I started doing that. maybe cuz of webOS....anyway thanks.

As for the MetaDoctor [or is it Metadoctor?, heh] something else I need to learn....as of right now, though....wrestling with a sony vaio I am trying to sell that doesn't have standard drivers and I can't seem to find drivers for XP. Off topic, I know...just don't have enough time in the day.

Locate Pre....done!
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Back to sq1- after following the 1-5 steps, opening programs before restore (but not after) resulted in yet another "Restart Required" error. I'm starting over yet again to try opening apps both before AND after Restore... wish me luck, any suggestions appreciated.
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Okay mine has been 'backing up' for an hour and a half.
    Should I abort or continue being patient??
    Everybody wants some!..
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    abort.....remove....restart.....reinstall....retry

Locate Pre....done!
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Paul if that failed....the next step is rooting your Pre and copying the PalmDatabase.db3 file from the backup archive to the Pre and overwriting the existing one.

The instructions for rooting your Pre are here... Portal:Accessing Linux - WebOS Internals

The column on the right under 'Procedure' is what you'll need to familiarize yourself with, if this latest attempt fails.

Locate Pre....done!
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Paul, this just occurred to me. Is your Palm Backup app 'on' or 'off'?

If "on", then retry, steps 1-5 above ....after doctoring it of course....and insert "turn off Palm Backup" between steps #1 & #2

1) you setup and login to your accounts
    2) [Make sure you...] Turn off Palm Backup.
    3) verify account setup by opening various apps [email contacts calendar IM, etc]
    4) install PreWare [via webOS QI] and Pre Bbackup Utility [via PreWare]
    5) restore the backup you xfered from the old Pre.
    6) restart the Pre

Locate Pre....done!
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Also, I have a few other questions for you.....

This backup you are trying to restore..... When you made the backup you had a certain number of 'accounts' on your Pre. Lets say, just for example,.....you only had google and yahoo accounts in addition to the Palm Pre Profile account which is mandatory and defualt...everyone has that one right.....

....In the time since that backup was made have you added or removed any accounts??? Have you added Facebook or Exchange accounts or have you removed either of the yahoo or google accounts?

In other words when you're going through the 'first use' app, is the list of accounts you setup different from the list of accounts that are in the backup

Locate Pre....done!
    my backup/restore worked great... However is there a way to force the accounts such as facebook and google to sync their contact pictures....?

I know you can remove/re-add the accounts and it will work, but then I also have to manually re-associate each profile together in the proper contact, and the sync now button only syncs primary information rather than pictures too.
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast