Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Pre Backup worked flawlessly for me after I doctored my phone yesterday. It put all emails and email setting back in as well as text message. Great job!
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I am really glad it worked for ya.

I appreciate all the feedback. All of them. I am in the middle of another update so any problems that you've noticed let me know of them cuz I can currently work to correct it right now.

I've completely re-witten the app from scratch....cutting&pasting from the old code when practical .... I eliminated a lot of unnecessary logic. I've also worked to include the webOS version into the html 5 db schema. I've re-worked the service for consistency and a little more stability. That is a work in progress. No major updates in the UI, tho.

Palm Pre Backup Utility...done!
    Locate Pre....done!
    I think you should provide a little more detail as to what gets backed up. Trust me this was a life saver it put my photos, contacts, emails, etc back on the phone! Great job. Where is the locate Pre app.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    The details aspect I have actually considered and was going to leave for a date somewhere down the line when I had planned on incorporating backups of files like, /etc/dnsmasq, /etc/profile.d/profile, /etc/network/interfaces, text-autoreplace, lighttpd & ez-ipupdate conf files, PmNetConfigManager file, etc... I also need to set aside some time to play with other developers apps and the palm sdk examples so I can get a good idea for how to go about presenting those kind of granular details in the UI. Nested Drawers with status indicators to denote selected and unselected items, for examples.

Locate Pre....done!
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Locate Pre is held up cuz I don't know how to create the php-fcgi module that is needed by ez-ipupdate and lighttpd.

I followed a walkthrough on webos-internals but after going through it I wasn't sure what to do next.

Locate Pre....done!
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts

Wasn't as involved as I thought it would be...

I have stabilized the service.

Still fine tuning....should be able to submit this weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Locate Pre....done!
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    Pre Backup worked flawlessly for me after I doctored my phone yesterday. It put all emails and email setting back in as well as text message. Great job!
    Question for you: Did your restore place all of your SMS/Text messages back entact as they were including MMS pictures in them? And can you send MMS pics to people now after doing so? If you can, I'll be amazed because the backing up/restoring of that whole database file breaks MMS sends after restoring
    the program put everything in place like it was never missing it reloaded my browser history as well. Look forward to being able to select wat gets backed up and restored. I don't get a lot of pictures via text so can't comment on that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewPre View Post
    //snipped for brevity\\
    Wasn't as involved as I thought it would be...

I have stabilized the service.

Still fine tuning....should be able to submit this weekend.
    If you have time, please let us know. Fantastic work!
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    The short answers to the above questions is YES.

The caveat is that all my tests have been to/from an emulator.

Right before I am ready to publish I'll test from Pre --> Emulator and then from Pre --> Pre.

Locate Pre....done!
    if you need a beta tester I am all in
    has anyone tried using this for backing up a pre and restoring to a pixi? i am switching to a pixi tonight and all i want is to not loose my texts... thats all.

(palm: is that so much to ask? c'mon now.)
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Circumstances have dictated that I release this to the community now. I haven't had a chance to test it from Pre ---> Pre or even Pre --> Emulator ... [all tests were done to/from an emulator]

So consider this release a beta release to all who are interested.

All of my test showed stability and consistency. The service is incorporated into the app itself. No need for a separate install, and has properly removed the old service and app in all of my testing.

There are still some features I want and didn't have time to add. I wanted to get a little more granular in the files I would back up as well and delve some more into creating a script to extract records from the PalmDatabase.db3 file. Presently it only supports backup/restore to/from the same version of webOS. You are presented with a warning if you try to restore to a different version.

So I am releasing 'as is'. I will be back later tonight to make an announcement.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Locate Pre....done!
    so i just did it anyway :-P

went from pre with prebackup 1.6 and webos 1.4.1.1 to a pixi with the same, even though the app warned me that i was importing a different version.

so far so good, still waiting for the pictures to download in the contacts.

edit: initially it destroyed all my contact list pictures. i fixed this by deleting the google and facebook contacts accounts and the gchat account in messenger. then readded all of them. it fixed it.

basically this awesome. made the transition from one phone to the other so much better. Thank You!!
    Last edited by onemadrssn; 05/19/2010 at 09:33 PM.
    Drew, do you not have a Pre?

(you keep saying you haven't tested out of emulator) I have extra Sprint Pre's lying around..
    so the picture icons next to texts and phone history are still gone. does anyone know of a way to fix those? it's not THAT important, but it would be nice.

nevertheless, great work DrewPre!
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    @onemadrssn, Those avatars are located in /var/luna/files.

Currently that directory is excluded. As it stands now, the restoration procedure is to 1) Doctor your phone, 2) login to all accounts [Goog, FB, Yahoo] 3) install and perform restore using Pre Backup Util.

When you do #2, Contact 'A' is assigned Avatar 'A'. Then when you do #3.... Contact 'A' [from the older PalmDatabase] is now looking for an Avatar that is not there [esp for facebook contacts] because of the exclusion of /var/luna/files. The next Account Sync or TxtMsg from that user should fix this.

In the past, when I included /var/luna files, the avatars were still missing until the next Account Sync or TxtMsg from that user. Then going forward the avatars always appeared.

Then on my phone most of my contacts were facebook contacts who changed their avatars quite regularly rendering the avatars in the backup obsolete.

When I took all of this into consideration along with the fact that /var/luna/files had [in my case] over 2300 files, I decided to exclude that directory.

If you would like to play around with this and fine tune the restoration procedure....try performing a restore prior to creating and logging into all your user accounts [google, yahoo, facebook, etc] Simply perform step 1 & 3. Exclude Step 2. then copy over your /var/luna/files and see if you get different results. I certainly wouldn't mind the help in fine-tuning this.

@JohnnyPre, Yes, I would love to have an extra Pre if you have it to spare. I'll send you a pm with my info.

Locate Pre....done!
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I hate to bring this up. It's really very humbling to be in the situation that I find myself in. My pride tells me not to do this. But it doesn't make sense to hold onto my pride ...and not ask for help.....when I stand to lose everything else.

In short, last December I lost my home to foreclosure. Now, I am being evicted from my apartment complex. My grandmother is on her death bed and I just received a letter from the DMV that my license will be suspended June 1st because of an unpaid ticket from Oct. 2003. Things are piling up and it's become overwhelming.

I have been unemployed for a while and have unsuccessfully searched for a job in my field [Systems Administration]. So I have applied for other jobs including positions with Home Depot and Walmart but they are slow to respond. Also my unemployment benefits have been exhausted. I am short of the rent by $200. I need another $200 for the ticket. Obviously the ticket is secondary to keeping a roof over my head.

I stand to lose everything. So I am humbling asking for any assistance from the community. Anything you can help me with...whatever donation you can afford....would be very helpful. Again, I hate that I let it come to this. I don't ask for help unless I really need it. But again, what sense does it make to hold on to my pride and not ask for help, if I end up losing everything else?

So again, any amount you could help with would be appreciated.

In humble service,
    Drew

Locate Pre....done!
    I'm very sorry to hear that. Hopefully my bit will help you.

On the bright side, you clearly have a great deal of potential in software development in addition to being a sys admin. There might not be many such jobs in GA, but up here in Boston we cannot get enough coders. Come up here, we'll treat you right :-)

And to briefly switch topics back to your wonderful app: all new texts and calls i get now show the proper picture, just as you said it would.

~Serge
    Sent. From one Alpharettan to another. Blessings
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast