Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
    No reflection on drewpre at all. He just ran into life issues like the rest of us. What does work in PBU works well.
    Oh dear god, I should have taken a look at this thread before having to doctor my pre and scramble all my contacts, this may even cost me my job now, thanks dev, although a slight short note of this homebrew may back up your messages and call logs but may mess up your contacts hence having to doctor your pre again leaving you nothing =)
    Palm Pre is like an iPhone 5G, WebOS is unique.
    *****EXERCISE CAUTION WITH THIS UTILITY*****
    Please note the warning below:

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby
    the application referred to in this thread is destroying databases for users, and the author seems to be MIA
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    You must have missed the many times and many places where I have warned of these exact things. A moderator should add a warning to the first post of this thread, and also to the application description in the PreCentral app gallery.

I recommend you look into Save/Restore. It does not try and restore emails, text messages or call records (cause there is no safe way to do so), but it does save and restore lots of other application data, and it does save text messages as a HTML file for future reference.

-- Rod
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    And just to reiterate:

I want to make it clear that this should not be taken as a reflection on the developer. He attempted to tackle an impossible problem, and got 90% of the way there before real life threw him a curveball. But the impossible 10% is making things ugly for unsuspecting users, hence the need for a prominent warning.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    is there any way that the post above this one be added to the initial post of this thread along with the warnings?

drewpre has, as Rod puts it, taken the impossible, 90% to completion and just wasn't allowed to finish currently by what seems to be some pretty hectic life situations.

hopefully we will be able to welcome him back when things calm down for him and he can continue with what he's started.

it's really interesting that this thread came up today because i dl'ed this a few days ago, started a backup, it seemed to take forever and so i stopped it. i then proceeded to get save/restore and will hopefully be able to come back to pre backup utility when drewpre is able to finish what he so diligently started a while back. i actually searched a couple of different times looking for any information on pre backup utility but was unsuccessful until tonight. funny how life works.

i just wanna say my little thank you to all of you developers out there who are doing such great work and making things sooo much better for all of us who have chosen webos.

i'll be getting some donations out to you all as soon as life allows myself some more abundance to be able to share!

just thanks,

kevin
    Quote Originally Posted by kevhead View Post
    is there any way that the post above this one be added to the initial post of this thread along with the warnings?
    ...that has already been done
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    I recommend you look into Save/Restore. It does not try and restore emails, text messages or call records (cause there is no safe way to do so), but it does save and restore lots of other application data, and it does save text messages as a HTML file for future reference.

-- Rod
    Once I do this, where can I find this HTML file?
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl.Pilkington View Post
    Once I do this, where can I find this HTML file?
    In the zip file for the messaging app in the saverestore directory on your USB drive.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Use Google Contacts. Don't put any in the Palm Profile.

-- Rod
    Rod,

I have asked before and maybe you can give a more streamlined answer. But Had my Pre since launch with the Palm Profile with contacts brought over from my Treo 650. Is there an easy way to convert all these to Google contacts without duplicating with the Palm profile since by changing it on the phone only applies to new added contacts.

I know you can do a vcard export to email patch and then import to Google, but after taht I am not sure and didnt want to chance screwing it up and visiting the doctor afterwards.
    thanks in advance for your valuable time.
    Last edited by DJeremyC; 11/03/2010 at 10:32 AM.

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
    I have installed the back-up utility and backed up some information. How do I go about locating that file on the Pre to pull it on to my Mac?

Thanks guys
    There is no spoon
    It's in a folder called ppbku
    Hi,

due to a combination of my carelessness and two defective Pres, I'm now stuck with a backup of my old Pre- with OS1.4.1 and a new Pre+ with OS1.4.5.

The only thing I'd really like to get at from the backup is the info about Crusade of Destiny - I played it for a while during my summer vacation and got to level 69.

Now on my new Pre+ I'd have to start at level 1 again which would be an immense bore, so I certainly won't do it.

Is there some way to find the relevant file(s) and restore manually?

They must be in there, somewhere, because for interest's sake I did a restore and got my level 69 back; as the Pre+ on a whole was completely unusable, so I had to doctor it and am now back to level one.

Regards,

Jochen
    Check Save/Restore to see if it is supported, and the the script for that will show which files need to copied.

-- Rod
    I have been using this backup utility since I purchased the palm pre earlier this year. I have never had a problem with it.

I do have a question: is it worthwhile saving the OLD backups on the pre or on CD? They are very large and will eventually eat up the storage limits for the pre.
    Check Save/Restore to see if it is supported, and the the script for that will show which files need to copied.

-- Rod
    Thanks for the prompt answer, Rod.

The current version of Save/Restore does support CoD; however, I've no idea where to find the script you mentioned.

Regards,

Jochen
    Quote Originally Posted by precal.hdh View Post
    I have been using this backup utility since I purchased the palm pre earlier this year. I have never had a problem with it.

I do have a question: is it worthwhile saving the OLD backups on the pre or on CD? They are very large and will eventually eat up the storage limits for the pre.
    The real question is... have you ever had to restore from the backup made by this utility? Based on the info in this thread, I don't think I'd want to depend on it.
    No, I haven't tried to use the restore function. I agree, from the posts that it may not be very reliable.
    Is the warning in the first post of this thread not strong enough?

OK, here's another:

DO NOT USE THIS APP. IT IS NOT SAFE.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
    Rod,

I have asked before and maybe you can give a more streamlined answer. But Had my Pre since launch with the Palm Profile with contacts brought over from my Treo 650. Is there an easy way to convert all these to Google contacts without duplicating with the Palm profile since by changing it on the phone only applies to new added contacts.

I know you can do a vcard export to email patch and then import to Google, but after taht I am not sure and didnt want to chance screwing it up and visiting the doctor afterwards.
    thanks in advance for your valuable time.
    Here is a good starting point for the answer and any questions you have:
    http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...plication.html

or type ##66623# on the phone app.
    this appp work in webos 2.0?
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast