Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
    No. It should not take that long. This app has some problems...

Your best bet to be as safe as possible before the update is to Update Preware's "Saved Packages List" and Install and Run the Save/Restore app....

Then back up your entire USB (/media/internal) drive to your computer hard disk.... If you read the last several pages in Save/Restore thread then you can find references to a few S/R scripts which are not currently built-in (but which can be downloaded from the discussion thread) which backup some additional OS files (for added emergency protection) and Zip everything up into a nice single Zip file....

My reference to a few good places to read is here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...ml#post2592891

Regardless of whether or not you've moved on since your delay last night, this backup process is a good idea. I think the PBU app was great in concept, but there still appears to be some serious bugs and I have uninstalled it for now. Hope this helps.
    I'm looking to use this utility on my replacement pre, but when i've run it, my contacts, text messages, and phone log gets messed up. While it would be nice to have those in tact, I am more interested in the application data. Is there a way to only replace the application data? What am I missing?

Also, is there a way to run this from the terminal?
    Quote Originally Posted by 3n1media View Post
    I'm looking to use this utility on my replacement pre, but when i've run it, my contacts, text messages, and phone log gets messed up. While it would be nice to have those in tact, I am more interested in the application data. Is there a way to only replace the application data? What am I missing?

Also, is there a way to run this from the terminal?
    An alternative for application data is Save/Restore.

-- Rod
    Well, i was able to use the backup utility; had contacts, messages, call logs scrambled; deleted the palmDatabase.db3 file; restored using the save/restore; setup my exchange account as well as facebook. All app data was working again, all contacts are back, lost txt messages, call logs, and memos. Oh so close to getting everything back. Thanks for the replies.
    I was wondering if it would be possible to make a full save, and then, restore only parts of the backup ? In a future release ?
    While watching my "Please be patient" spinning Pre Backup Utility I've finally decided to check this thread ... and I'm not feeling too confident.

Here is what I've done so far: After returning from vacation 8/23, I let Sprint pushed the 1.4.5 update. I figured there would be a loss of 'homebrew' apps and data, but then that is why I've made the PBU .gz backups and saved them both on the Pre and to my computer. The webOS update was quick and I ran the PBU "restore" overnight last night. By morning my Pre was sitting on the charger "off." After powering up I was back to default setting and requesting all my sync information. Resynced from the cloud and once again installed Preware and the PBU.

Restarted the Pre Backup Utility again and am 3 hours into watching it spin. Time to give up?
    This weekend I dedicated myself to converting over a pre plus to sprint network. In doing so I wanted to be sure that before I made the conversion, even though not permenant, I needed to have everything transfer over.

So running some tests with PBU and Save/Restore, I had nothing but success every time.

I did run into problems awhile back when PBU 1.6.7 had an issue and wouldn't finish backing up. So I downgraded to PBU 1.6.1 and ran the back up from there.. Then ran restore to my other pre's and like I mentioned before, everything transferred over perfectly. All my texts, emails, tastks, contacts, apps, even my apps settings (just checked that lol). Nothing is jumbled or mixed matched. It's all where and how it is supposed to be.

Hope this helps..
    Hello All!

Heres my delima as I have exhaustively searched and searched with NO positive results.

I'm on my 4th replacement Palm Pre+ in the last couple of months. Verizon tech support stalled and run the 30day clock run out on purpose, thus replacing my NEW Pre with refurbished replacements (someone elses problem) 2 of the Pre's were over a years old! and I refused both of them.

I ended up LOOSING ALL of my Contacts!!! I have 7 recent backups using the PRE BACKUP UTILITY (latestest version) I did plenty of research and followed various solutions. (My phone was replaced due to keypad, antenna (poor signal) and speaker failure)

The Palm Cloud FAILED! No Contacts were restored except for the "verizon" contacts!!! Who could expect that!

Using the Pre Backup Utility I AM able to restore all 750+ contacts BUT when a contact is selected its EMPTY and imediatly jumps back to the contact list!!!!

IS there ANY way to fix this? I have 3 recent backups using the utility so I feel all my contacts are still all saved, they are just not restoring the database properly (ie database restore issue) I did manage to save the PalmDatabase.db3 File from the old phone from the following locations:
    usr/lib/luna/PalmDatabase.db3 (740kb)
    &
    var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3 (4372kb)
    I still have my old Pre and I'm attempting to reactivate it and use the Pre Backup Utility to restore it and start over.

Verizon tech support was as usual USELESS, telling me to use the Verizon restore utility (which is NOT compatable with the Pre!!)
    Palm also had the same useless result, explaining the Palm Backup is NOT guaranteed to protect/restore contacts and data and should not solely be relied on! What A Joke!

So what does Palm expect you rely on when they provide NO pc utility for the Palm Pre to do backups and restoring!!!! Atleast with my Treo I had PalmDesktop app.

Suggestions? Thoughts? Ideas? Solutions?
    P L E A S E H E L P. as I will still loose hundreds of contacts even if i start over with my Treo contact list not to mention hours & hours of list rebuilding
    Use Google Contacts. Don't put any in the Palm Profile.

-- Rod
    This App doesn't do a dag gone thing. I'm sick and tired of these broken apps/patches. I just doctored my Pre today and used this app to backup prior to Dr. and restored the same file after the Dr. Nothing was restored. And why is there an option to backup texts when we know that it never has done that? Why can't Palm backup everything? What is so hard about that? This phone is really letting me down lately as after over 1 year of owning it, Palm has left us in the dust and hasn't even implemented one Patch that has been created by the people here at precentral. There are so many missing features and the fact that we still have to rely on Preware and patches is unacceptable. I'm at my wits end. Pea soup.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    Yep! its pretty pathedic and quite SAD that my pal treo 755p would allow me to do FULL backups (using nvbackup) and I could actually restore EVERYTHING! I set it to auto backup every morning @ 5:15am and keep 3 backups along with a few masters With all of the progress in smartphones it seems that the young engineers @ palm must have had total memory loss! or they had no idea the palm treos ever exsisted, as they have successfully progressed BACKWARDS!

I finally managed to restore all of my contacts and call log, but my old Pre glitched and defaulted to initial activation so I can get into it to wipe all of my data before returning it. It refuses to do anything as it demands to connect to the verizon network to activate. Any suggestions?? b 4 they charge me $500 non-return fee. I hate to return it with personal data on it. THANKS!!!!!
    hey! What's with this crappy thing! Sure it backs up my text messages and call log but it wipes out some of my contacts and scrambles the others!

When is this going to get fixed or addressed!? This would be the 3rd time I've doctored my phone in the last 24 hours... My phone is out of commission until I get home from work tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by rcflyer40t View Post
    I did run into problems awhile back when PBU 1.6.7 had an issue and wouldn't finish backing up. So I downgraded to PBU 1.6.1 and ran the back up from there.. Then ran restore to my other pre's and like I mentioned before, everything transferred over perfectly. All my texts, emails, tastks, contacts, apps, even my apps settings (just checked that lol). Nothing is jumbled or mixed matched. It's all where and how it is supposed to be.
    This is the same experience I had -- including the trouble with 1.6.7 and the downgrade, except that most of my avatars are now missing (until someone changes one, apparently). Does anyone know of a good way to blast all of the avatars and make it get all new ones? Saying "Sync" does nothing.
    Last edited by ryanov; 09/28/2010 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Add more information
    Yeah I attempted PBU when I got a replacement pixi, and it just does not restore the database right. It messed up the internal email database making all emails dissappear. It messed up text messages making it corrupt so the text message engine would not send or receive except w/ one person. Also my contacts all scrambled up.
    I know now to not try and use it again =(, wish there was a solid backup program out there for our devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by GenTarkin View Post
    Yeah I attempted PBU when I got a replacement pixi, and it just does not restore the database right. It messed up the internal email database making all emails dissappear. It messed up text messages making it corrupt so the text message engine would not send or receive except w/ one person. Also my contacts all scrambled up.
    I know now to not try and use it again =(, wish there was a solid backup program out there for our devices.
    You must have missed the many times and many places where I have warned of these exact things. A moderator should add a warning to the first post of this thread, and also to the application description in the PreCentral app gallery.

I recommend you look into Save/Restore. It does not try and restore emails, text messages or call records (cause there is no safe way to do so), but it does save and restore lots of other application data, and it does save text messages as a HTML file for future reference.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I don't know why this thread can't just be locked. I admire the effort the developer put in to try to get this app to work, but all it can do is screw up your phone now.

Save/Restore, especially with the available 'advanced' scripts in its thread, is a very good backup solution.
    I don't think that, beyond Rod looking in now & then, this app is being developed / supported anymore. The developer had some life issues and hasn't been here for a good while. Save / Restore is the only viable backup solution I've seen right now.
    Is there any way to have it removed from preware to prevent people from using it?
    Quote Originally Posted by GenTarkin View Post
    Is there any way to have it removed from preware to prevent people from using it?
    It's in the PreCentral feed, which is controlled by the folks here at PreCentral.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    I don't think that, beyond Rod looking in now & then, this app is being developed / supported anymore. The developer had some life issues and hasn't been here for a good while. Save / Restore is the only viable backup solution I've seen right now.
    And I want to make it clear that this should not be taken as a reflection on the developer. He attempted to tackle an impossible problem, and got 90% of the way there before real life threw him a curveball. But the impossible 10% is making things ugly for unsuspecting users.

-- Rod
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast