Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just saw a friend's iPhone 3GS and was very jealous that they could surf online while on a phone call (they gave me a demo - it works!). I was wondering if Sprint's network really cannot handle this (both are 3G) or if it's the way Palm turns on the phone radio and off the data connection? Could it be fixed in software?
    I think it is more to do with Sprints network then the Pre harware, but I have been known to be wrong before.

BTW, You can surf and talk if you are connected to the inernet via wifi.
    yeah, it's been discussed a only a million times in this forum. If some one calls me as a lifeline on a game show I guess I am SOL.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    I think it is more to do with Sprints network then the Pre harware, but I have been known to be wrong before.

BTW, You can surf and talk if you are connected to the inernet via wifi.
    Yes, but on the iPhone you do not need wifi (and I made them show me that their wifi was turned off - LOL).
    on sprint and vorizon cannot be done.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Yes, but on the iPhone you do not need wifi (and I made them show me that their wifi was turned off - LOL).
    Well there you go, you have your answer. Until the Pre is available on GSM (Tmobile or AT&T) you cannot "surf n talk" at the same time without Wifi.

If this is that important to you than you can get the Pre on AT&T in the first half of this year.
    In all honesty I have never used/needed this feature. I tried it just to see if it could be done once, but that was it.

I guess I could get my wifes phone and mine set up as mobile hot spots and we could tether off each other if needed to call and brows at the same time? LOL

Edit: You know, the more I think about it, I use my phone as a texting device far more then I use it to make actual phone calls. Maybe that's why this has never been an issue to me???
    Last edited by sinime; 02/01/2010 at 12:00 PM.
    It's the network.

Both Sprint and Verizon can't do this because they are CDMA. Both require you have an active wifi connection if you want to do both.

AT&T and T-Mobile are both GSM networks and both can do this.

The fact that we can't do it is a limitation of CDMA unfortunately. The only way to be able to do this on a smartphone is on AT&T or T-Mobile right now.
    Has anyone heard whether future WiMax enabled phones will allow simultaneous talk and surf?
    Quote Originally Posted by gksspot555 View Post
    Well there you go, you have your answer. Until the Pre is available on GSM (Tmobile or AT&T) you cannot "surf n talk" at the same time without Wifi.

If this is that important to you than you can get the Pre on AT&T in the first half of this year.
    I guess you are going to have to choose the lesser of 2 evils, being able to talk and surf at the same time while on the network, or overpay for crappy service.
  11.    #11  
    Are you all CERTAIN that Sprint's network cannot do this?

Samsung MM-A900 / SPH-A900 / SPH-A900M / Ace - PhoneNews.com Phone Encyclopedia Wiki

The above website has instructions for a hack of the A900 Samsung phone so that you can receive a phone call while also in an active EVDO data session.
  12.    #13  
    According to PreCentral.net itself, Sprint's network CAN handle voice + data at the same time! It doesn't do it in practice, but the technology it uses (EVDO Rev A) CAN do it:

http://www.precentral.net/palm-pre-s...oice-data-evdo

So, how could we make this happen in the Palm software?
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    According to PreCentral.net itself, Sprint's network CAN handle voice + data at the same time! It doesn't do it in practice, but the technology it uses (EVDO Rev A) CAN do it:

http://www.precentral.net/palm-pre-s...oice-data-evdo

So, how could we make this happen in the Palm software?
    You can receive and send text messages while on a call, i.e. "data" however, you cannot access the mobile broadband network while on a call, i.e. send email, surf the net..
    ******Disclaimer*******
    I'm a Dvorak typist using
    a QWERTY thumb board.
    Typoes? Oh Yeah
    i believe this conversation always ends at the same direction... the protocol allows for it, but the towers/systems/what-have-you don't support it... The cost to roll out the changes to allow it would be better spent on rolling out WiMAX or the next gen stuff . Once CMDA carriers go with next-gen systems you'll see this annoyance disappear (for those who are annoyed by it)
    don't be jealous...w/ sprint i've never had a dropped call or service interruption(knock on wood). I know alot of people on att right now that wanna jump ship. Happy w/ sprint, even more so w/ my Pre.
  16.    #17  
    Are you all CERTAIN that Sprint's network cannot do this?

Samsung MM-A900 / SPH-A900 / SPH-A900M / Ace - PhoneNews.com Phone Encyclopedia Wiki

The above website has instructions for a hack of the A900 Samsung phone so that you can receive a phone call while also in an active EVDO data session.
    Assuming this hack is real, why can this phone do it and not the Palm Pre? If it's real, I think the Pre can too.
    My pre can do it ;-) GSM in germany
    I had a hack on my Sprint Mogul that would allow this. On my Pre I needed this feature once, I was on the phone with someone who needed directions so I opened up google maps but couldnt get it search for the address
    The hack just allows incoming phone calls to kill your EVDO connection. You still can't use both voice and data at the same time.

FAQ - PhoneNews.com Phone Encyclopedia Wiki

If DOTM is disabled on a Power Vision phone, you will be able to receive an incoming call. However, data services will be paused if you choose to take the call.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast