1.    #1  
    The night before last, the PreWare AUPT updates came out, and I saw 54 patch updates available. I went ahead and started installing them, but one failed: Advanced Phone Menu. I could not update nor remove it. I tried an EPR, but no dice. Later that day, I used WebOS Quick Install to remove it (it showed up as not being installed, so I "installed" it using WOSQI, which allowed me to properly uninstall it using PreWare).

It just so happened that I also stumbled upon Jason's WebOS Repair Utility, and I decided that with all the issues I'd been running into, perhaps it would be a good idea to run it. I did, and I received the following error on almost every file it tried to replace (literally all but one):

I tossed a message in the thread for that utility in Jason's sub-forum (Canuck Software), but haven't received a response yet. Anyway, it didn't seem to cause any problems, so I wasn't particularly concerned for the time being.

All seemed well. Then last night, PreWare failed to load, throwing the following error:

TypeError: Cannot call method "split" of
    undefined"

I uninstalled and reinstalled PreWare and the Package Manager service (using WOSQI), and PreWare loaded, but seemed to think I didn't have any apps or patches installed. I then used the Emergency Reconstruction Tool, restarted my Pre, and PreWare showed my apps and patches.

So once more, all seemed well. However, I tried to update a few apps in the official app catalog, and they all failed, reminiscent of what occurred after the last major OTA. I remembered the fix back then, which was to run the Emergency Migration Tool, and tried this, however, there was no improvement. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the offending apps, but they all failed to reinstall. However, after a restart, about half of them were back anyway. These can be removed, but they will always be back after a restart. I'm also unable to download any apps from the official app catalog.

Any ideas?

Help would be greatly appreciated. I'd rather not lose all my data, as I have a fairly extensive amount of information in Tasks and a few other places that don't seem to have backup solutions, so I'd rather leave doctoring as a last resort.

Thanks in advance...
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    try installing once again the emergency migration tool one more time then reset, then try to install a app from the app catalog.
  3.    #3  
    No dice. Thanks for the try, though.
    you should go ahead and run webos repair utility on your phone it will fix most bugs and issues you may have then you can try it again maybe it works and maybe not but its worth a try.

here is the link ,and just hit the repair all when or if it find anything to fix.
    http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...t=webos+repair
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    yeap use once again the repair utility but make sure you doing with override compatibily, this will erase the patches !
    Preware and WebOS Repair utility can not cause problems on a WebOS device by themselves. Patching can be very dangerous and is most likely what caused your problem.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    why does my preware dont work everytime i download it... i downloaded preware version 9.18 and everytime it finish refreshing, it will say blah blah blah error not working and somemore blahblahblah... ***??? any solution my pre friends??
    Quote Originally Posted by ergarcia1 View Post
    why does my preware dont work everytime i download it... i downloaded preware version 9.18 and everytime it finish refreshing, it will say blah blah blah error not working and somemore blahblahblah... ***??? any solution my pre friends??
    did you install package manager service first?
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    i install package manager with preware at the same time... ive been doing this since preware first came out, believe me im not new to this... its just that i wiped out my phone and try installing preware after installing 1.3.5.1.... ever since then my preware has been acting up... smmfh
    i install package manager with preware at the same time... ive been doing this since preware first came out, believe me im not new to this... its just that i wiped out my phone and try installing preware after installing 1.3.5.1.... ever since then my preware has been acting up... smmfh
    umm ok did you try restaring the pre?
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    ever since they updated to 1.3.5.1, thats when my preware started acting up... 1st of all, it takes long to download preware... b4 it use to breeze thru it..... anyhow i just rebooted my phone and now it seems as if its loggin into preware because the bar is filling up.. b4 it wouldnt....
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    yup... now its working... its funny tho because i did this all b4 and it worked.. then afterward it didnt so i removed it... then when i reinstalled it, it started acting up again... now i reinstalled it and rebooted it and it works... ok now lets see how long this is going to work 4...
    yup... now its working... its funny tho because i did this all b4 and it worked.. then afterward it didnt so i removed it... then when i reinstalled it, it started acting up again... now i reinstalled it and rebooted it and it works... ok now lets see how long this is going to work 4...
    jajjaa I hope work for long, good luck!
    go into web browser then swipe down from top left and go into preferences and then clear cache and cookies this may be your issue. it fixed me when i had the slow down problem .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    lol thanks alot sisgo...
    lol thanks alot sisgo...
    no problem we are here to help us!
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by SISGO View Post
    yeap use once again the repair utility but make sure you doing with override compatibily, this will erase the patches !
    Hmm...I haven't run it in Compatibility Mode. I'll do an EPR, then give that a shot. Thanks for the suggestion; I'll let you know how it turned out.
  18.    #18  
    After running EPR, restarting, and running WebOS Repair Utility with Override Compatibility enabled (it found a good many things and fixed them all), and restarting again, the 'stuck' apps were still stuck, and the App Catalog still wouldn't allow me to install new apps. I then ran Emergency Migration Helper, restarted, and tried again, but no such luck. Finally, I tried the Emergency Reconstruction Tool again, but that didn't help, either.

Any other ideas? If I do end up just doctoring, what (if any) backup solutions are available? I remember reading that my contacts are backed up automatically by Sprint, but I'm wondering if anything else is backed up, and if there are any backup methods/apps that I've somehow missed...

Anyway, I'd still far prefer to just fix the problem.
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    On Preware, I noticed i kept getting hung up on the PreThemer feed. So I turned that off and now PW works fine.. . (I also have Palm Beta and Palm Catalog off too)

With Repair Utility it gets hung up on this;
    /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/images/fade-arrow-up.png

I assume that is from the 'hide quick launch bar' patch?
    I did use 'override capability' which I assumed skips patches yet still no luck..?
    Any ideas???
  20.    #20  
    Well, I got impatient, and did the following:

- Emergency Patch Removal

- Forced a backup (Backup, 'Back up now")

- Partial erase (Device Info, Reset Options, Partial Erase)

This fixed all problems I was experiencing. I lost the following:

- App data (saved games, etc)

- Call & message logs (I could have saved these using the database copy trick, but I heard there were various issues for some people in doing so, and I really don't care about my call and message logs)

- Homebrew apps

I didn't lose the following:

- Personal files (everything accessible via USB Mode is left alone with a Partial Erase)

-PDF Redux page progress (I use the PDF Redux patch, which remembers what page I was on for all PDFs)

- Official app catalog apps (including paid apps, which downloaded again for free): these were automatically downloaded and installed for me, so I didn't have to remember what I had

- Contacts

- Tasks (a major concern of mine)

- Favorites in the browser

All in all, a success. I merely reinstalled PreWare using WebOS Quick Install, reinstalled all my homebrew apps and patches, and I'm good to go.