Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    Being a former HTC user, I allways liked thier little animated weather app - shown here:

Is this do-able on the Pre? I seem to remember a discusson over on XDA which said it was just a series of animated Gifs which looped through.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
    Paid version of Accuweather has animated maps. Also there is a homebrew app called XRad (or something similar).
    Quote Originally Posted by Lclarkjr View Post
    Paid version of Accuweather has animated maps. Also there is a homebrew app called XRad (or something similar).
    He's not talking about animated radar maps. Just the animation that HTC puts over its weather page.
    I'm positive a weather application could be created to work like that. Just a matter of time before more sophisticated and visually friendly weather apps, or any apps for that matter, start to appear. If 3D gaming is possible...
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    Quote Originally Posted by scott500 View Post
    Being a former HTC user, I allways liked thier little animated weather app - shown here:

Is this do-able on the Pre? I seem to remember a discusson over on XDA which said it was just a series of animated Gifs which looped through.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
    That is possible, but not over the home screen. The only way to make it appear that it was on the home screen would be to make a transparent app and use translucent images.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    That is possible, but not over the home screen. The only way to make it appear that it was on the home screen would be to make a transparent app and use translucent images.
    That would actually be pretty badazz. May get to work on that.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    Thanks for the thoughts on this....if I recall, the HTC WM devices dont have it on the home screen...its a app which displays a very basic weather forcast and uses slick animation as the screen opens. (the have one that, when its raining..it looks like water droplets appear on your screen and a windshield wiper wipes them away)

Anyway...thanks again..
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    oh and sorry about that youtube link...I know his voice makes you want to throw yourself off a building...

take a quick look at this quick link of the original HTC diamond weather animation from a couple of years ago. Its only 15 sec long. I realize they've improved on it a bit, but its a place to start.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    I might be wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure that's not possible. If you can somehow figure out what image is the wallpaper and use that as the background of your app to TRICK people into thinking your app is "transparent" it might work.

Launching an app is kind of like launching a browser window (or Windows explorer) on your desktop. It just launches up fullscreen on the Pre. Even if you use a transparent image in the background (like viewing a transparent image on a browser) you'll just get a blank (gray or white, can't remember default) screen. From what I know (granted, which is very little so please keep trying!) I don't think its possible... yet...

Good Luck!

I'd love for you to figure out how to do it and prove me wrong though. That would open up a LOT of possibilities
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    I don't see it as a home screen plug in but rather a weather app which uses animated gifs for the weather icons. I'm going to see if I can get my hands on the HTC ones and take them apart to see what kind of images they used for the animation.

maybe this thing has some legs..
    Last edited by scott500; 01/25/2010 at 04:20 PM.
    [image removed]

See http://forums.precentral.net/wizarda...her-watch.html for screenshots of the final app

OLD POST:
    Who ever said this wasn't already being worked on and 75% done XD

It seems like people always post requests when you are almost done with something...
    Last edited by TIWizard; 02/22/2010 at 05:28 PM.
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    ok....I stand corrected. Looks great TI
    Just need to work on the bugs that appear in earlier versions of WebOS (1.3.5). You can see the overly large sun and the lack of clouds -.-
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=Who ever said this wasn't already being worked on and 75% done XD
    QUOTE]

I CAN'T wait
    Submitted this to the app catalog yesterday:
    http://forums.precentral.net/wizarda...her-watch.html

It isn't just animated weather