1.    #1  
    What exactly registers/listens for volume button presses on the Pre? Palm has a service (com.palm.keys/audio) for them, but there's no jar file associated with that service in /usr/lib/luna/java.

I'm having a problem where my down volume button randomly stops working. After a couple minutes, it starts working normally. I know it's not the button itself (which most people suggest when this problem comes up) because I can manually trigger the button press by jumping the connection near the button and it still won't register.

Any tips on where to look would be great. I've already tried removing all of my patches. The only thing left would be WebOS Doctoring, but I'd rather not do that unless it's absolutely necessary.
  2.    #2  
    The down volume button stops working (won't change the volume). No matter how many times I press it, it just doesn't do anything. Then suddenly after a couple minutes, it works fine. It continues to work fine for about 5 minutes, and then it stops working again.

The up volume button works all the time.

I was hoping to find what daemon or service on the Pre actually handles changing the volume and trying to figure out if there's something wrong with it.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Both my volume buttons do not work. I can however, manually, jumper the exposed wires near the microswitch to make it work....so my microswitches could be faulty.
    I believe both buttons are used exclusively by the OS and do not provide acknowledgement of presses or the ability to reconfigure its purpose by design.
  5.    #5  
    I found you can recognize the button presses straight from the kernel by doing:

cat /dev/input/event1 | hexdump

I have to wait for my button to stop functioning again to watch if the kernel is seeing the input.

kaicho: That seems to be a common problem with the pre (and different from my problem). Even if I short out the pads near the switch, it still won't recognize a press.
    Maybe this will provide some additional insight:
    Patch Camera Using Volume Buttons to Take a Picture - WebOS Internals
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by tdps2 View Post
    I found you can recognize the button presses straight from the kernel by doing:

cat /dev/input/event1 | hexdump

I have to wait for my button to stop functioning again to watch if the kernel is seeing the input.

kaicho: That seems to be a common problem with the pre (and different from my problem). Even if I short out the pads near the switch, it still won't recognize a press.
    Well there's no output at /dev/input/event1 when pressing the button while it's in it's "broken" state, so I guess that limits the problem down to the kernel (unlikely.. many more people would be having trouble) or the hardware.