Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Sprint is letting my wife switch to a Pixi due to repeated hardware issues with her Pre. The problem is that I just bought a few new games on her Pre a couple of weeks ago. Since the Pixi can't run the new 3D games, I need a way to transfer those apps over to my Pre. Otherwise I just wasted $30.

I browsed her Pre with Internalz and it looks like the apps are stored in /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/. I copied her app folders to the USB directory, transfered them to my Pre, but when I tried to move them into the correct directory, it seemed like it was read only. Is there any way to do this? My Linux terminal skills are very poor, but if given the proper commands, I should be fine.

Thanks!

Edit: Please delete this thread. I figured out how to do it on my own. Even though I believe that my intentions were definitely ethical, any further discussion of this would be borderline piracy.
    Last edited by geodim; 01/25/2010 at 07:19 PM.
    Sidekick Color > Moto MPx220 > HTC Typhoon > Moto Q > HTC Apache > HTC Hermes > HTC Tilt > Palm Pre > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVO 3D

iPad 16GB WiFi > iPad 2 64GB WiFi
    You might have to log on to her old Palm Profile, so that your Pre thinks it's using her account. That's the only option I see, off the top of my head.

But then you would lose the stuff you purchased with your Palm Profile account.

If you are on a family plan, I suggest you just try and call customer service and tell them the situation and maybe they will do refund so you can repurchase on your phone.

I accidentally used a different Profile and lost all my paid app stuff and (this confused Palm and they ended up calling me to find out how I did that, because they didn't even think it was possible) anyway... just talk to them and explain... get all your invoices that you got as receipts when you purchased the stuff.

For me, I had to fax in all the receipts and they did the refunds, so I could repurchase the software again to get it back into my profile.

Again Palm did everything possible to prevent stealing software by copying it off the phone... they know there would be people that would try this, so you can't get around it.

It even might be tied down to your serial number of the phone...

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    I'm getting ready to move from a Sprint Pre to a Verizon Pixi Plus. Sounds like the transition might be little challenging.
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Last edited by geodim; 01/25/2010 at 07:15 PM.
    Sidekick Color > Moto MPx220 > HTC Typhoon > Moto Q > HTC Apache > HTC Hermes > HTC Tilt > Palm Pre > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVO 3D

Quote Originally Posted by geodim View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I finally figured it out.

Install Terminal on both devices. I'm using NFS as an example. On the first Pre, enter these commands:
    cd /
    rootfs_open -w
    cd /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/
    cp -rf com.ea.app.nfsuc /media/internal/

This will put the app folder on the USB root of the device. Copy the folder onto your PC's HDD and then copy it to the second Pre's USB root. Once it's on the second Pre, run these commands:
    cd /
    rootfs_open -w
    cd /media/internal/
    cp -rf com.ea.app.nfsuc /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/

Reboot the Pre and the app should be installed. Pretty easy. I've only done NFS so far, but I've tested it and it plays fine. The game saves are included, which is great. I'm hoping that this doesn't mess up the app catalog update process, in case an update comes out for it.
    But it's still not linked to your Palm profile. You cant download any updates for apps for install like this...
    And if there is an update in the application and since you are not the original purchaser of that program, do you really think it's going to provide you with the update.

It will end up saying... would you like to purchase this app.... so all you've manged to do was copy the program.. but it's not registered as being paid!

So in the end, you will get screw if there are any updates.

As I said, just call Palm customer service and just be honest, I think what you are doing is not ethical. Even though, I believe you are entitled to have those app due to your situation!

How about try doing this to an app, that you know needs to be updated, do your copy thing and then see what happens when you go to Palm App Catalog and do the update?

Is it going to allow you to update for free, which is what is supposed to happen, or will it say you have to paid?

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

And thus begin the first steps on the road to piracy...
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
    Quote Originally Posted by dallashigh View Post
    And thus begin the first steps on the road to piracy...
    I've know about this method of transferring apps for a while now, but never said anything about it for this exact reason.
    I wouldn't worry about it, Palm can always delete the app off the phone remotely if they discover something on a phone that should not be.

I would think if Palm see a problem, they will start to check the apps on all the phones and compare that to what is stored in the Profile and what has been paid for.

That is why I wanted this particular person, just to go the honest route and talk to Palm about his situation and I'm sure Palm would have worked with him.

But I see, instead, he chose to try and just copy the apps. So I'm not so sure anymore that his story is real.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it, Palm can always delete the app off the phone remotely if they discover something on a phone that should not be.

I would think if Palm see a problem, they will start to check the apps on all the phones and compare that to what is stored in the Profile and what has been paid for.

That is why I wanted this particular person, just to go the honest route and talk to Palm about his situation and I'm sure Palm would have worked with him.

But I see, instead, he chose to try and just copy the apps. So I'm not so sure anymore that his story is real.

Rob
    Yeah, I noticed that it won't let me update and if I have to reset my device, I will have to do this all over again, which would be very cumbersome. I'll probably just call Palm tomorrow and see if I can get a credit to the app store. I'm not looking for a refund or anything, so I don't see why they would give me any push back.

I was naive at first, but I see how this could encourage piracy, so I think that this thread should be closed. It's important that we actually buy the apps from the app catalog. If it isn't profitable, devs won't waste their time with our platform and that would would make me very sad

Man you just restored my faith in honesty! Thank you!

Well, they do the refund, because you have to do the purchase, they can't move the info, so they will probably just do a refund and you will just repurchase.

Just be honest. Or maybe just say, you blew your profile up and now it doesn't see your apps because you changed your profile name!

They will want your receipts, as I said I had to fax them in.

Wow, I can't believe I just told you to tell a white lie, after reading you the riot act.

I must be Bipolar!

I just want you to get it fixed with being honest and Palm not hassling you over this.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3