Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    It seems like many of the Pre's issue (for me anyway, and is proven in the Pre Plus) are system memory related. I'm no patch creator, but I would tend to think it possible to allow the Pre's system ram to extend to, say, some sort of extended partition on the storage ram. For those of us who don't use all 7.x gigs of available ram, this could be a huge and helpful patch if such existed.

Any takers?
    Not possible - the Pre already makes excellent use of swap & the physical RAM can't be upgraded. I think you may be confusing RAM with flash storage space - the two aren't interchangable. Gotta get that Pre Plus if you want more
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    I know the ram can't be upgraged - I was thinking more along the lines of the Pre being able to access the storage memory to expand it's space for system usage. I really don't know if it uses any sort of swap or page in the storage memory, but that's what I was wondering if is possible to do.
    Yeah swap is built in by Palm & it's already a pretty efficient system - nothing more we can do on that front unfortunately.
    This one will be done just after the patch for a higher resolution screen.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    This one will be done just after the patch for a higher resolution screen.
    I guess "it doesn't hurt to ask" doesn't apply here. Thanks for the answers anyway.
    I was wondering that too sort of, In windows you can use your flashdrive memory to boost the speed of the os effectively boosting the Ram... its called readyboost (I believe). So dont be so quick to slam the OP because I believe in some small way this is entirely possible, just gotta find someone who can try this.
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

lmao
    no this patch does not "exits"
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabrian View Post
    It seems like many of the Pre's issue (for me anyway, and is proven in the Pre Plus) are system memory related. I'm no patch creator, but I would tend to think it possible to allow the Pre's system ram to extend to, say, some sort of extended partition on the storage ram. For those of us who don't use all 7.x gigs of available ram, this could be a huge and helpful patch if such existed.

Any takers?
    more of a mountain goat but good effort
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    more of a mountain goat but good effort
    Short notice
    heres a ram patch i threw together
    http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:N...201024x768.jpg
    I'll have to try that one
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    heres a ram patch i threw together
    After installing your patch, I can have NFS, Sims 3, Xplane, and 11 browsers open at the same time. Nice work Have you set up a donate link yet???
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    I was wondering that too sort of, In windows you can use your flashdrive memory to boost the speed of the os effectively boosting the Ram... its called readyboost (I believe). So dont be so quick to slam the OP because I believe in some small way this is entirely possible, just gotta find someone who can try this.
    I'm not familiar with readyboost, but from your description is sounds like they are using a flash device (thumbdrive, sd, etc) to act as the system paging space instead of the very inefficient method of using a file (which, unless MS is doing some magic, has to go through filesystem calls which are slow compared to raw disk). It would only be faster if you need to use paging space. Something tells me that flash memory is probably an order of magnitude slower than RAM (which is why RAM is relatively expensive compared to mass storage).
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    After installing your patch, I can have NFS, Sims 3, Xplane, and 11 browsers open at the same time. Nice work Have you set up a donate link yet???
    nope strictly pro bono work thanks though
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    I'm not familiar with readyboost, but from your description is sounds like they are using a flash device (thumbdrive, sd, etc) to act as the system paging space instead of the very inefficient method of using a file (which, unless MS is doing some magic, has to go through filesystem calls which are slow compared to raw disk). It would only be faster if you need to use paging space. Something tells me that flash memory is probably an order of magnitude slower than RAM (which is why RAM is relatively expensive compared to mass storage).
    yes sir. theres a reason the two are separate. speed is not even close
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    I just did a quick read on readyboost, and it is actually used as an extension (basically) to the hard drive's onboard cache, enabling better performance for certain types of I/O that the harddrive will be able to deliver by itself, especially on slow (laptop) harddrives. Readyboost gives no advantage when using solid state media as the primary storage device (as some netbooks use). Since the IO system on Linux (or any UNIX) is more sophisticated than on Windows, any improvement would be negligible, even were such a thing available.