Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I noticed about 2 days ago an app in Palm App Catalog (maybe it was just in Preware) called 'Terminus' and I downloaded it and installed.

It looks to be just another Terminal program for the Pre.

But I discovered today, that when I went to run Terminal it said I did not have the Terminal Service Plugin installed, which I did!

So I have assumed that this Terminus is stopping that from running or being seen when you install it.

But after uninstalling it, Terminal still said that the plugin was not installed even though Preware shows it as installed.

So I uninstalled both the plugin and the app and reinstalled both.

I have a feeling Preware forgot the settings on this, I think I have to run that Emergency Migration Helper.

Anyway, I have both working now, so back to my original question:

What is the difference between these two 'terminal' applications. I notice that Terminus takes a long time to get to a input prompt and the text seems smaller.

So is there any advance of using one over the other.

I could not find any info on Terminus on WebOS Internals.

So I'm not sure why Terminus was developed.

I'm not a programmer but if I need a Terminal program and I have needed one, I want to use one that is recommended by the developers here on Precentral.

Thank you!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

I am curious about the same thing.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Dunno what's different yet other than Terminus seems to hang my pre everytime I run it.
  4. ird
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    I'm thinking Terminus uses SDL, if I remember what I read in #webos-internals a while back.
    SMALLER PRINT...I'd need a fricken microscope to read it, lol! I'll stick with Terminal, although haven't needed it lately with the last update...
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Here's what I found:

Terminus

My terminal service plugin is also apparently broken, which may be due to the fact that Preware installed an update to it yesterday. Don't remember it prompting to install n update for the terminal half, though.

I think that Terminus will be the preferred terminal package going forward, and like how it already has support for ANSI color graphics. Other than the font size, the only complaint that I have about it so far is that it doesn't deal wit ^L (redraw screen) in vi gracefully. Probably a termcap screen width issue that's easy to fix, but it is a peek at the future for what other non-Mojo binary apps will look like when they get ported.....
    Terminal, which depends on the Terminal Plugin (which may be hidden from view in Preware) what the very first terminal application that us webos-internals devs created.

Terminus is a new terminal that I (a webos-internals dev) started working on. It is written using SDL and Evas/Ecore (libraries used by the Enlightenment WM) which means there is a possibility that Terminus will soon be powered by hardware accelerated with OpenGLES. Terminus is actually a fork of a dead terminal project called Enterminus (maybe some of have use it in E17).

Anyway, besides some minor bug fixing I don't think there will be any more serious development going into Terminal. I hope to get some of the other webos-internals devs working on this with me on Terminus. Terminus is still in its early stages so feel free to use it and try it out but I am telling you right now I know its incomplete. Please put bug reports and feature request on the Terminus Trac website: git.webos-internals.org/trac/terminus
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    Other than the font size, the only complaint that I have about it so far is that it doesn't deal wit ^L (redraw screen) in vi gracefully. Probably a termcap screen width issue that's easy to fix, but it is a peek at the future for what other non-Mojo binary apps will look like when they get ported.....
    Yeah I know I need to get the "reset" and "clear" commands working properly which is probably related to that redraw screen ^L stuff you just mentioned... maybe I can get that working tonight.... colored vim on the Pre is nice though huh?
    Yeah I know the font size is small but anything large causes too much wrapping and things look like ****. I am gonna keep the font size fixed for now while I work out the rest of the "basic term capabilities" issues. Expect some options/prefs down the road a little bit.
    It's just a big black empty page for me.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    It's just a big black empty page for me.
    For some reason "type:game" applications take a few seconds to launch. If you ssh'd or novacom'd into your phone and then launched Terminus manually it would start up instantly. Idk what is going on with how Luna is launching "type:game" apps but its on my todo list to look into. So just give it a few seconds and it will work.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffTheMagic View Post
    Anyway, besides some minor bug fixing I don't think there will be any more serious development going into Terminal. I hope to get some of the other webos-internals devs working on this with me on Terminus. Terminus is still in its early stages so feel free to use it and try it out but I am telling you right now I know its incomplete. Please put bug reports and feature request on the Terminus Trac website: git.webos-internals.org/trac/terminus
    Is it possible for us to use PreCentral and possibly this thread to talk about it here, as long as you monitor this thread or create one of your own for the novice people (like myself).

If this will in the end replace Terminal, here are some of my requests (bear in mind that this is coming from someone very limited in Linux knowledge);

I would like a help file to be included, so that when I type the usual 'help' or '?' I can get a list of available commands.

And like some more power terminal programs, I would like to be able to type a command like 'ls' and add the customary '?' and get a description of the 'ls' command and all of the switches available.

I guess but of the lack of knowledge to compare it properly to a Linux terminal program, I am going to compare it to a Dos Command window within Window Systems.

So with in a command window, you can type 'help' and get the list of commands available. The you can type a particular command, example 'dir' and then add '?' to find out all the switches available to that command.

Does this sound like something doable?

Thanks!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    I would like a help file to be included, so that when I type the usual 'help' or '?' I can get a list of available commands.
    The default shell on webOS (bash) does not have a built-in help command like you are expecting. I think some shells implement a help command, but on UNIX and UNIX-like systems you would use the man command to view help. However, the man pages are not installed, likely due to size and due to developers probably either knowing what they need or having access to a Linux system to look it up.

And like some more power terminal programs, I would like to be able to type a command like 'ls' and add the customary '?' and get a description of the 'ls' command and all of the switches available.
    For well-behaved programs typing command -h or --help will usually give what you are looking for. Sometimes it is a short usage message with a list of options, etc. Sometimes it is a more full-blown help message with a lot of detail.

HTH.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    touching the gesture area causes it to skip.
    I also had an issue with the orange key which caused the duplication of many characters.
    I am not sure how to recreate this.
    sure we can discus this here or if someone wants to create a new thread with a better title we can move discussions there... however, I still would like bug reports and feature requests to go on Trac, it is much easier to keep track of everything there

as far as the orange key weirdness... i have not yet experienced that so I cant really debug it yet, i know at least 1 other person reported an issue with the orange key... I will see what I can do about it
  16. rpr
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    For the record, orange key for me enters a blank character (not sure if it is a space or not), so I cannot enter a backslash, which makes navigating folders a problem.
    Pilot 1000 -> Palm Pro -> Palm III -> Handspring Visor -> Palm V -> Palm TX -> Palm LifeDrive -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Pre
  17.    #17  
    sure we can discus this here or if someone wants to create a new thread with a better title we can move discussions there... however, I still would like bug reports and feature requests to go on Trac, it is much easier to keep track of everything there
    I have no problem using Trac, but I can't find a place to create a login account.

When I got to you link and click on the button that says 'sign on', I am not given the option to create an account.

So I can't post anything or get involved over there. I kept looking but found nothing.

Maybe you can provide a link to the 'create account' area so we can sign up and then get access to your area to post question/suggestions/etc.

Thanks!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Yeah I know I need to get the "reset" and "clear" commands working properly which is probably related to that redraw screen ^L stuff you just mentioned... maybe I can get that working tonight.... colored vim on the Pre is nice though huh?
    It looked to me more like it was a problem with line wrap and the default column width. It seemed to be making every other line into a "~", which is the blank line indicators at the bottom of a vi screen. That's why I ASSumed it was a termcap issue, since ^L and the ANSI colors seem to be working. I didn't notice any colors in vi, but did notice the red/blue shell prompt right away.

As for feature requests, my kingdom for a working up arrow key. I can't live with that tiny keyboard without command line recall, and I haven't found the ^R alternate. The need for a "|" key would be a close second.

For some reason "type:game" applications take a few seconds to launch. If you ssh'd or novacom'd into your phone and then launched Terminus manually it would start up instantly. Idk what is going on with how Luna is launching "type:game" apps but its on my todo list to look into. So just give it a few seconds and it will work.
    FWIW, I took the "NTP Sync" app and used it as a base for a custom app to launch my OpenVPN connection. When launching a shell script via "type:game", it appears to load (vibrating success since the program doesn't interact with the screen) just about instantaneously. BTW, kudos to webosnerd.com for coming up with a simple/workable non-screen user feedback method for a quick script launcher like they did.....
    FYI, Terminus 0.0.5 is out in Preware... I fixed the "slow loading" issue. It now starts instantly.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    FYI, Terminus 0.0.5 is out in Preware... I fixed the "slow loading" issue. It now starts instantly.
    FWIW, it was still just as slow loading the first time after I just updated. On subsequent loads, it actually had the command prompt drawn before the window finished scrolling onto the screen!!!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast