1.    #1  
    I was wondering today if an app or patch or plugin, can be developed to take some of our USB memory, about 512K worth and make that available to the system to used as ROM memory.

So this way our Sprint versions of Pre, can act like a Pre Plus with the 512K of Rom that is coming out.

Maybe something like how Windows PC's can be modified to adjust it's 'Virtual Memory' settings.

This way we can get some kind of benefit that comes close to have the 512K worth of ROM that the Pre Plus will have.

Does this sound like something that can be done, is it feasible, considering Palm is releasing the PDK?

What's your opinion on this?

Thanks!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

I don't think this is desirable, were it feasible (and it probably is, with the underlying Linux kernel). Main memory RAM is a very different beast than flash RAM in terms of speed and access characteristics. If you did set up some of the flash RAM as swap / VM for system memory, you'd not only drastically slow down your device overall as it tried to use the slower flash RAM as main memory, but you might also reduce the lifespan of the flash RAM due to the increased access it wasn't designed for. (Though that last part might be a myth.)
    Last edited by lmorchard; 01/23/2010 at 01:35 PM.
    l.m.orchard
    {web,mad,computer} scientist
    http://decafbad.com/
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by lmorchard View Post
    I don't think this is desirable, were it feasible (and it probably is, with the underlying Linux kernel). Main memory RAM is a very different beast than flash RAM in terms of speed and access characteristics. If you did set up some of the flash RAM as swap / VM for system memory, you'd not only drastically slow down your device overall as it tried to use the slower flash RAM as main memory, but you might also reduce the lifespan of the flash RAM due to the increased access it wasn't designed for. (Though that last part might be a myth.)
    Well, thanks for thinking about it, but remember, we are now storing our apps on the USB partitions, so they will be accessed more than usual.

Also, I guess I was trying to say setup something like Windows does as a Virtual Disk for swapping out data, which is essentially using only using when using it for swap data when multitasking. So like Windows, when we put something in the background it tends to go to the virtual area and only move into main memory when being brought to the forefront.

I'm don't know who much pounding it will be getting in this case.

As I said, it's just to be used because the Pre Plus will have the extra memory to work with.

And this would be a temporary thing, because in about a year, Sprint should be coming up with an updated phone by that point.

So I would not worry about lifespan so much.

And of course, you could warn users that want to use this, that is could cause the life expectancy to be lower if used, just like overclocking the system which most have abandoned at this point.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Perhaps possible to implement, but the flash memory on the Pre is remarkably slow. I'm not sure it would do much good.

Also I assume you mean 512MB.
    Actually, it already looks like there's about 128MB of swap in flash being used on my Pre, so I don't think bumping it up will actually make a whole lot of difference. You really can't replace system memory RAM with filesystem flash RAM.
    l.m.orchard
    {web,mad,computer} scientist
    http://decafbad.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    I was wondering today if an app or patch or plugin, can be developed to take some of our USB memory, about 512K worth and make that available to the system to used as ROM memory.
    Eh... I assume you mean MB and RAM. And I'm guessing you mean "USB memory" to mean the Flash storage.

Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    Maybe something like how Windows PC's can be modified to adjust it's 'Virtual Memory' settings.
    Ok, getting through all that, you're talking about swap space.
    Read here: Paging - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    And here: http://www.xenotime.net/linux/doc/swap-mini-howto.txt

Pre already has and uses swap. On my Pre running "cat /proc/meminfo" shows SwapTotal at 131064KB and SwapFree at 130812KB (252KB in use with only the Terminal app open). But swap is NOT a replacement for RAM (Flash is 100s of times slower than RAM).
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Think of the 256/512MB as analagous to PC RAM and the 8/16GB as analagous to your PC's hard drive