Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Could someone make a program or patch that would automatically turn off all sounds when you got within 500yds (or x amount of distance) of a given place or turn on the sounds.

For example:
    When the GPS picks up the fact that I am very close to work like within 500 yds it would automatically switch over to vibrate/silent mode. That way I don't have to manually do it everyday. Then vice versa when I leave or when I get home it flips back to the other profile with the sounds on. Or going to relatives house it flips to another entire profile for "family" safe times. Or "movie" mode as soon as you got to your local movies, it would decrease the screen brightness and silent the phone. Or when you went to you favorite bar the vibrate would turn on and ringer would be very loud in order to deal with loud noises.

This idea could be taken to an entire another level, with everything from backgrounds, sounds, themes, ringtones etc. One profile for work, one for home, and maybe one for out and about town. This way your backgrounds and profiles are safe and designed for the environment your in. Or even reorganize applications based upon the environment. Like when at the bar, all the drink apps move to your first set launcher page, or when at work remote software apps and email all move to the1st launcher. And it could either all be set manually on the fly, or enabled by the GPS awareness of geotagged points.

I would think a basic program would be fairly easy, but then it could definitely be taken to very cool extremes.

Anyone else think this could be cool and functional.
    Dev's would it be possible with the current SDK, or would future SDK updates help with this idea?

Thanks
    Palm needs to give us the ability to change system settings before this app could be created. Right now we can track your location, but not change any settings.
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev1000000 View Post
    Palm needs to give us the ability to change system settings before this app could be created. Right now we can track your location, but not change any settings.
    Use a com.palm ID and make it a homebrew app
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    Indeed. I actually have been thinking about it.
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
    do you find it that hard to flip the switch or are you just forgetful?

that movie mode does sound nice though BUT it would also do all when you are simply walkin by the movies
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by newone757 View Post
    do you find it that hard to flip the switch or are you just forgetful?

that movie mode does sound nice though BUT it would also do all when you are simply walkin by the movies
    I have forgotten to switch it before and someone had called during a meeting, but also just lazy too. Yeah of course everything you choose to be listed in your profiles locations would be found if you walked by or drove by. But that is also the point. If you live in a very populous area where you walk by a lot of places in in order to get somewhere then you can lower the threshold for your GPS radius. And for others like myself where you pretty much have to driver everywhere you could increase it so maybe 500ft, 1/2 mile, or 1 mile.
    i was just thinking about this earlier.

i dawned on me that i only use wifi at home, so it would be nice that as i pull up in my driveway, wifi automatically turns on, gps turns off(who uses gps in the house?). wifi off when i leave again and gps right back on as i get in the car
    Quote Originally Posted by newone757 View Post
    i was just thinking about this earlier.

i dawned on me that i only use wifi at home, so it would be nice that as i pull up in my driveway, wifi automatically turns on, gps turns off(who uses gps in the house?). wifi off when i leave again and gps right back on as i get in the car
    If GPS is turned off when you get in the house, then how would it know that you were leaving the house so it could turn it back on?
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    It would probably be a huge battery drain but maybe setup something to check the gps status every 20 minutes like Patch webOS GPS Tracking - WebOS Internals it checks the gps status and turns it on if it is off then back off again, so maybe once it checks and it is off it turns it on and it leaves it on.