Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    After looking at several online cloud storage options I have personally decided to promote ZumoDrive as a solution that works with WebOS.

I looked at the following and found:

1. DropBox: Did look good, but there is a cheaper paid level with ZumoDrive, I don't have to jump right away to the $9.99 level if I only need a few GB of storage. I don't plan to store my entire hard drive (unrealistic for me), just the stuff I collaborate on, sync/share with business associates, or share with friends/family (pictures for example), so smaller/cheaper paid levels is a better starting point for me.

2. Google Docs: My first consideration actually, but I found that those I share/collaborate with had to also sign up for their own Google Account, I did not want to have this hurdle to have to train/coach people on.

3. LiveMesh by Microsoft: Was my second consideration, and for a very similar reason I won't use it either, those I share/collaborate with had to also sign up for a MSN account.

Regarding Google/Microsoft, I also thought a smaller company would be more likely to write an application for WebOS. Don't know if this is true or not, but we shall see.

I tried others, reasons were similar to above that I decided not to use them.

So for now I am trying the ZumoDrive option. So far from what I can tell it is working well for desktop sharing/collaboration but a WebOS application would make my cloud complete.

Here is the note I submitted on their web site asking about any future application plans for WebOS:

When will there be an application for WebOS available? With the Pre and Pixi now going to Verizon, the WebOS platform will become more mainstream. I am not a developer but I believe the other upside for WebOS (unlike android based phones) is that the platform is generally universal across hardware versions, making an application useful now and remain useful moving forward nearly effortlessly.

I am signing up for your free account now and will need a paid level quickly and am a WebOS fan using the Pre. After looking at several cloud services (google docs, live mesh, dropbox and others), your service stands out for me. A ZumoDrive app for WebOS would really make my cloud complete, I hope you will seriously consider.

About that app, ideally it would "see" available folders/documents in the cloud but only pull down to the device "ZumoDrive" selected folders/documents. I am undecided if the local folder on a smartphone should be synced, as it will in my mind in the scenario I described be only a partial of the cloud, but I am sure you guys have thought that through thoroughly.

Thank you for reading!
    What are your thoughts about ZumoDrive?
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Thank you for that link to MediaFire. I checked them out and for several reasons I decided not to use them either.

1. No true collaboration possible. You do not share files or folders with others allowing both parties to edit the file or add new versions. You have to give your user/pass to each person.

2. Free account has time limits for which if not met, your account is deleted. Not like this should be an issue, but don't want to worry about it.

3. Free version has a very small max overall/file-upload size.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Just got this reply from ZumoDrive, both an indication of their responsiveness AND their future support of the Palm Pre:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Chen from ZumoDrive
    Hi!! We are currently working hard on mobile apps along with our main clients. The Pre app is definitely on the table and we are working on it. Unfortunately I do not have an ETA for you. Watch our blogs for the most up to date release information. We will be posting the second it's done. Lots of people waiting on that one.
    I like that response, I can begin using ZumoDrive now and when the Pre app is available, I will expand that usage!
    This is awesome to hear.
    I just noticed that their WebOS app is available in the app catalog!
    My prediction: DropBox is going to lose users. I'm going to give it a try, but I already share things via DropBox with a number of people. If they don't come out with an app soon though, I might hop over to Zumo. (or use both...)
    < M105 - M130 - M515 - T|T3 - Clié UX50 - T|x - Pré - Pré 2 - TouchPad 16GB>
    [url]
    This is great I was using dropbox. This is so much easier and faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hz-R View Post
    I just noticed that their WebOS app is available in the app catalog!
    My prediction: DropBox is going to lose users. I'm going to give it a try, but I already share things via DropBox with a number of people. If they don't come out with an app soon though, I might hop over to Zumo. (or use both...)
    I am going to use both as well just became a black belt and received 1gb free storage.
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    I wait application with MobileMe iDisk support... :/ I'm .Mac user more than 5 years.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    I have installed this app and for what I will mostly use it for, it works for the most part. I am able to to completely access my entire zumodrive, which is great.

I do have a couple issues:

First, I tried streaming a song, though I won't do this much myself, it would not stream for more than 15 to 30 seconds before cutting off completely.

Second: If I want to attach a file inside my zumodrive to an email, I have to first open the file then "save as" to my Pre, then go to email and attach/send it. It would be nice if access to the file directly in the zumodrive from the email was possible. Or, at least, to be able to "orange key" + tap file to "save as" would prevent needing to fully viewing the file first.

But to have access to my zumodrive is a real plus for me, glad to see this app out there.