1.    #1  
    Periodically I want access to my home server from my Pre, but don't want to leave those ports open to the world, so I've instituted port-knocking to give me a modicum of security (I know, I know, it's far from true security). I've successfully installed the knock package from optware, but would love the ability to do the knock from the launcher instead of having to open the Terminal and type in a script name (yeah, I'm lazy). Anybody have any ideas?

[There are apparently a couple of iPhone apps that do exactly this, so I'm assuming it wouldn't be super hard.]
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Right now it is pretty trivial to put together a launcher icon that just executes a command on the phone. However, as I understand it this method is going away with the next Palm release. Until that happens, however, you can just do this:

1) Write a shell script that calls knock the way you want (probably just two lines =).
    2) Put the script along with the following appinfo.json file in the same directory...

Code:
    {
    	"id": "com.mysoft.knock",
    	"version": "1.0.0",
    	"vendor": "My Software",
    	"type": "game",
    	"main": "myscript.sh",
    	"title": "Knock",
    	"icon": "icon.png"
    }
    Then you can use the Palm WebOS SDK to make yourself a launcher icon:

palm-package /path/to/that/directory

That'll make an ipk that you can use to install your app:

palm-install com.mysoft.knock.ipk

When Palm gives us an approved method to write/launch native apps from the launcher I'll see if I can make a front-end for port knocking (should be trivial).
    -Riskable
    http://riskable.com
    "I have a license to kill -9"
    Quote Originally Posted by riskable View Post
    Right now it is pretty trivial to put together a launcher icon that just executes a command on the phone. However, as I understand it this method is going away with the next Palm release. Until that happens, however, you can just do this:

1) Write a shell script that calls knock the way you want (probably just two lines =).
    2) Put the script along with the following appinfo.json file in the same directory...

Code:
    {
    }

When Palm gives us an approved method to write/launch native apps from the launcher I'll see if I can make a front-end for port knocking (should be trivial).
    Nifty. Haven't started my first app yet, but things like this are pretty nice to know!! Thanks!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by riskable View Post

Code:
    {
    }

Looks remarkably easy (and the indeed the knock script is only two lines -- one if you ignore the "#!/bin/sh" shebang).

Thanks a million!

UPDATED --

Did exactly what you said and it works a charm. Very cool. Thanks so much!!!!!!
    Last edited by 35whl21; 01/20/2010 at 02:39 PM.