Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I travel a lot for work and part of that involves dealing with receipts. Normally what I do is just stuff all the receipts into a pocket in my laptop bag and scan them in when I get home. However, this means a very boring hour (sometimes two!) spent every Monday morning taping receipts to sheets of paper for scanning. Then once that's all done I need to FAX these images (along with a barcode-laden cover sheet) to a specific number where who-knows-what happens to them (hopefully they just get stored away in some big database but I wouldn't be surprised if they actually get printed out and filed by hand in some giant building somewhere).

This last-century system sucks but I think I can make the process a little easier for myself. I figured I could just write an app that lets me take a picture of each receipt that would geotag the image (along with the date/time) and give me the option to add some meta data (i.e. stuff like "total: $12.07" and "category: meal"). However, when I looked at the Mojo API documentation I noticed that there is no mechanism available to control the camera! ***!

This won't stop me from writing my app--I can just write something that lets me browse/pick pictures and add my own metadata later--but I'm curious if anyone has any any ideas as to when we'll get this functionality?

Also, I did some research and found that many developers have been complaining about a lack of microphone controls/capability in the API as well. That would also be useful.

Anyone know if this capability is coming in WebOS 1.4.X or will we have to wait longer?
    -Riskable
    http://riskable.com
    "I have a license to kill -9"
    It's possible for them to release microphone and camera API's for the SDK 1.4 since they dealing with video recording. Be aware that the Pre doesn't do good micro shots so see if you can accurately take photos of your receipts and be able to read them.

Another issue is that the GPS isn't always reliable. About 20% of my pictures don't have an exact GPS fix so it would give the GPS data of the nearest cellphone tower. While this gives a good "city" estimate, it won't pinpoint the exact spot.

I'm not sure if that applies to what you are trying to accomplish, but I thought I would like to inform you.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    Be aware that the Pre doesn't do good micro shots so see if you can accurately take photos of your receipts and be able to read them.
    As long as the total/price can be read that's what's important. Even if the receipt was too blurry to be read it probably wouldn't make a difference (LOL). All that matters is that there's an image attached to a given expense where your average person would look at it and say, "Yeah, that's a receipt."
    -Riskable
    http://riskable.com
    "I have a license to kill -9"