1.    #1  
    I have a couple apps that would benefit from a syncing solution, mainly to share data between multiple phones. *The data would be simple text.

I am wondering, does anyone think google docs would be a viable solution for this type of syncing? *

My thought was to have spreadsheet per db table and I would store it in a user's personal google account. *I would sync to and from it at an interval.

I just really want to avoid having a web server to provide syncing to my apps.

I appreciate any thoughts you all have.
  2.    #2  
    I should learn not to post things on Sunday night. They usually end up at the bottom of the pile by the time anyone will look at them.
    Relying on a remote data source where the user has free reign to modify the file could result in disaster. If you don't want to manage your own servers you could try something like Google App Engine.

HTH,
    - Rob
    That's what the API is for. Of course, be prepared to recover from user disaster. But it's a clever way to offload the hosting to the user account.

Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the advice guys. I think I am going to give it a try. I agree with you that if users can touch it, they will break it. I think I can mitigate that some. I am hoping to build a somewhat robust sync function that will check the integrity of the existing file. Worst case, I'll delete the existing file and upload the data again from the Pre DB. I <think> at worst case only recent changes will be lost. I definitely don't plan on using Google as the active data source, that will be on the Pre.

I took a look at google app engine. Pretty cool. The limit is 500 MB though. I doubt my user base would get there in a hurry but eventually I imagine it would and I'd be stuck with billing. I don't have any plans on selling the apps right now so I'd like to avoid anything that would require me to pay money out of pocket someday.