1.    #1  
    I know the pre has been rooted; where my google-** is falling short is what that means on the phone itself. Is there a terminal app that will allow me to ssh into my desktop (using ssh keys - NO passwords). How about scp and/or rsync? Will it do X forwarding via ssh? Bash scripts? Is it using busybox or a 'full' shell? Which package manager, e.g. .deb, .rpm, or something proprietary?

I'm currently using an n900 and making voip calls over wifi (GSM is not available in this area - VZ only). It's intermittent, and while the quality is great, there's roughly a 1s delay between speaking and being heard. So, time to sell and start using my old visorcentral account again - just need to find out what I'm losing. :/
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
  3.    #3  
    I saw that; apparent lack of progress since August on alpha quality software makes me gun shy. Are you using it?

I won't need shell access on the device itself often - I can re-work my scripts to run from the desktop so long as the pre can accept incoming key-based ssh requrests, but I have become used to running my traffic over an ssh socks proxy when on untrusted wifi networks...can I get there from here?
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ****-richardson View Post
    I saw that; apparent lack of progress since August on alpha quality software makes me gun shy. Are you using it?

I won't need shell access on the device itself often - I can re-work my scripts to run from the desktop so long as the pre can accept incoming key-based ssh requrests, but I have become used to running my traffic over an ssh socks proxy when on untrusted wifi networks...can I get there from here?
    I use the terminal but not how your wanting to use it (over my head). I would dig around webos internals wiki for more information I'm sure the pre can do what your looking for just not sure where tell you to look other than to point you to webos internals wiki.

A lot of the information on the wiki about application and such is not updated with the latest information.

If you do not currently own a pre and want to play with these apps. Head over to Palm Developer Center and grab the sdk almost everything that the real pre can do so can the emulator.

There even info on how to install optware on the emulator on webos internals.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ****-richardson View Post
    I know the pre has been rooted; where my google-** is falling short is what that means on the phone itself. Is there a terminal app that will allow me to ssh into my desktop (using ssh keys - NO passwords). How about scp and/or rsync? Will it do X forwarding via ssh? Bash scripts? Is it using busybox or a 'full' shell? Which package manager, e.g. .deb, .rpm, or something proprietary?

I'm currently using an n900 and making voip calls over wifi (GSM is not available in this area - VZ only). It's intermittent, and while the quality is great, there's roughly a 1s delay between speaking and being heard. So, time to sell and start using my old visorcentral account again - just need to find out what I'm losing. :/
    Install debian and you have everything debian does:
    Debian - WebOS Internals

for X11 see the SDLVNC thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by zonyl View Post
    Install debian and you have everything debian does:
    Debian - WebOS Internals

for X11 see the SDLVNC thread.
    You might also check out

Portal:Accessing Linux - WebOS Internals
    Next steps - WebOS Internals