webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developers >  webOS Development > sdlVNC - VNC Client
sdlVNC - VNC Client
Like Tree1Likes

Old 02/08/2010, 11:13 AM   #41 (permalink)

Attached is the latest version and fixed some miscellaneous bugs and performance.

New Features:
- It will now do hostname resolution
- panning up to 2000x1080 (hold the right gesture area).

Known issues (these are in the GPL SDLVNC Library)
- Password not working

** See later in the thread for the bins

Last edited by zonyl; 02/18/2010 at 07:02 AM.
zonyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Pulp
Old 02/08/2010, 04:36 PM   #42 (permalink)

Alright, I have everything installed and have been doing some testing. I don't have freeze issues anymore, but now it seems I can't enter any text. I've tried in a number of different programs and the terminal output registers an "**EVENT**" but no text is ever entered. Otherwise great work man.

Update: I've managed to test this on a connection to a windows pc as well and it too isn't getting keystrokes.

Last edited by BoraWare; 02/08/2010 at 05:33 PM.
philbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/08/2010, 08:24 PM   #43 (permalink)

"I always mess up some monday detail"

Fixed they keyboard as well as another unrelated event bug. Im trying to add velocity to the panning (either this or spend time trying to get to level 54 on MW2 )

I would like to fix the authentication bug, however, know very little VNC's auth mechanism. If someone could lend a hand in that regards it would help significantly.
Attached Files
File Type: zip sdlvnc.zip (18.5 KB, 294 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by zonyl; 02/08/2010 at 08:31 PM.
Thanked By: edhkim
Old 02/09/2010, 01:52 AM   #44 (permalink)

Alright, so text entry is back but it's still locking up when I try to enter text in most apps. It still shows keypress events in the terminal but everything else stops. I've tried compiling the source on device but apparently don't have the right setup for it. If I was able to I would mess around and see if I could better debug this myself. Who knows, maybe after I get this other project finished I'll be a able to try some other things. Anyhow, just passing the keypress info along.
philbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/09/2010, 06:20 AM   #45 (permalink)

Yah, the lockups occur in libSDL_vnc . I have a hacked/fixed version, but I am hesitant in releasing the binary form without getting the source published somewhere first (GPL). Essentially there are some unimplemented commands in that library and when it sees them, it gives up. I just made it not give up.
Old 02/09/2010, 03:07 PM   #46 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonyl View Post
Yah, the lockups occur in libSDL_vnc . I have a hacked/fixed version, but I am hesitant in releasing the binary form without getting the source published somewhere first (GPL).
WebOS Internals will be pleased to assist with source hosting (and binary release in the webos-internals feed if you so desire).

Give me a shout in IRC.

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/10/2010, 10:30 AM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
WebOS Internals will be pleased to assist with source hosting (and binary release in the webos-internals feed if you so desire).

Give me a shout in IRC.

-- Rod
Thanks Rod. I already have the project in the WSOI git, I just need to update the changes that I have made over last weekend. (Got to remember how to do that )

I am also creating a new application that will allow you to use the Pre as a touchpad / mouse (via vnc server) as well.
Thanked By: Godsbane
Old 02/16/2010, 03:50 PM   #48 (permalink)

Thank God!!! I love my Pre, but the one thing thats been bugging me since June is that I no longer had VNC on my phone anymore. I can't wait to have a fully functional VNC client on webOS!! Personally I'd prefer Logmein, but I assume that won't be possible unless Logmein creates an official app. Does this client connect to a Windows VNC server? Is there still no packaged version of the VNC client that I can install?I have the SDK and all that, but I haven't gotten around to actually compiling anything.
schnoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/16/2010, 04:13 PM   #49 (permalink)

VNC uses standard protocols. It should be able to connect to any recent vnc server on any platform, provided his client and your server both have all the standard things implemented. I can't vouch for what types of encoding the client uses, because i haven't used it yet.
godsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/16/2010, 04:17 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsbane View Post
VNC uses standard protocols. It should be able to connect to any recent vnc server on any platform, provided his client and your server both have all the standard things implemented. I can't vouch for what types of encoding the client uses, because i haven't used it yet.
Thanks, I assumed this was the case, but I just wanted to make sure. I'm definitely gonna spend some time trying to figure out how to compile this thing when I get home. If someone has already done it and could send it to me, I would REALLY appreciate it! I hope zonyl doesn't get mad that I'm asking that.
Old 02/16/2010, 07:25 PM   #51 (permalink)

Here is the latest I have. This seems to work pretty well as long as you dont have a VNC password set. Thanks goes out to BoraWare for testing / ideas.

You need to put libSDL_vnc.so.0 into you /usr/lib folder in WebOS. Have fun!

*In accordance with the LPGL license, if you need the source on the libSDL_vnc I am trying to get it on WSOI in public (otherwise PM me your email and I will send)
Attached Files
File Type: zip sdlvnc105.tgz.zip (48.6 KB, 204 views) Email Attachment
Thanked By: edhkim
Old 02/16/2010, 07:38 PM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Here is the latest I have. This seems to work pretty well as long as you dont have a VNC password set. Thanks goes out to BoraWare for testing / ideas.

You need to put libSDL_vnc.so.0 into you /usr/lib folder in WebOS. Have fun!

*In accordance with the LPGL license, if you need the source on the libSDL_vnc I am trying to get it on WSOI in public (otherwise PM me your email and I will send)
Thanks! Can't wait to try this when I get home! Not having a password definitely makes me a little nervous, but hopefully as long as I have my windows user/password it should be ok. Do you recommend using TightVNC as the server on windows? I used to use UltraVNC, but its been awhile since i've used it so not sure whats the best now.
Old 02/16/2010, 08:08 PM   #53 (permalink)

I have tightvnc on a Windows 7 server and it works fine. I setup IP firewall and ssh tunnel based security on the machines I remote into to get around the password problem.

The code in the client I contributed is pretty embarrassing and difficult to follow (mostly quick hacks to get something up an running). So I am in _slow_ progress on making a new client from scratch that I am going to try and offer up on the app store that will perform much better with password support, more encodings, etc. Im not in the PDK program though so I have no idea if what I am writing will qualify.

Last edited by zonyl; 02/16/2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02/16/2010, 09:31 PM   #54 (permalink)

I just installed TightVNC (haven't played with any SSH tunneling yet) As far as I can tell TightVNC sets "Accept Incoming Connections" to false if there is no password.

As for your code, you shouldn't be embarrassed at all. Seems you're the first and only one that I know of that actually is making an effort on the VNC front. I've been waiting way too long for this and really appreciate your work. Can I somehow put in a good word for you and request that you be accepted into the PDK program? I
Old 02/17/2010, 08:56 PM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
I just installed TightVNC (haven't played with any SSH tunneling yet) As far as I can tell TightVNC sets "Accept Incoming Connections" to false if there is no password.
Its possible, although I remember having to twiddle with some of the settings and restart the service a few times (I managed to do it with some permutation in the settings dialog so there is hope ) When I get back to work, ill check which combination I have.
Old 02/17/2010, 09:15 PM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Its possible, although I remember having to twiddle with some of the settings and restart the service a few times (I managed to do it with some permutation in the settings dialog so there is hope ) When I get back to work, ill check which combination I have.
Thanks! Just out of curiosity, whats making it difficult to implement the password authentication in the client? Seems if you've ported most it over you should be able to port that part over too, but I could be wrong. How long do you think it'll take before you implement authentication?
Old 02/17/2010, 10:16 PM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
Thanks! Just out of curiosity, whats making it difficult to implement the password authentication in the client? Seems if you've ported most it over you should be able to port that part over too, but I could be wrong. How long do you think it'll take before you implement authentication?
I ported the entire opensource SDL_vnc library, however, the library simply never worked completely (doesnt work on x86 either). It was written many years ago against an older version of VNC protocol with a simpler password mechanism and it has plenty of unimplemented functions and bugs. I fixed the bugs that were show stoppers, left the others for a rainy day.

Selfishly I wrote this for my needs thus authentication is not on my list (I never trusted vnc encryption / password anyway so I have always used ssh tunnels). Anyone is welcome to the source code and contribute to it more if they can.

If I were to spend more time on getting this working I would need other motivation (more than free) so in order to proceed with more features I am re-writing this entirely as a commercial application. Unfortunately, the revenue probably wont be enough to cover my time (my day job pays well) and it may never be finished. If only I had more time in the day!
Thanked By: jmmcg
Old 03/09/2010, 10:10 AM   #58 (permalink)

Thanks for your efforts, zonyl. I'll definitely be a paying customer once you get authentication working. I'm thinking $4 or $5 would be acceptable pricing.

I trust you noticed that the PDK public beta was released today, right? wink, wink! nudge, nudge!
Old 03/09/2010, 10:26 AM   #59 (permalink)

Great! I desperately needed a VNC client!

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
HandyDJs.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/09/2010, 11:24 AM   #60 (permalink)

Will this be packaged up for Preware anytime soon (the free no password version)?
- Black n' Gold theme - here
MLJones8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0